Retro Gamer Review Marks

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RichPT

Retro Gamer Review Marks

Post by RichPT » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:30 pm

I am never very happy with the Retro Gamer review system. Ever since one of my favourite schmups (Neo XYX) got something like 78% and a random homebrew Spectrum schmup I haven't heard of before or since got 93%+ in possibly the same issue.

My feeling is that RG is unduly lenient towards amateur homebrew efforts regardless of quality. I think games should be marked ONLY on how enjoyable they are to play today Other factors like the price or if they would have made good games back-in-the-day should be discounted. I really want all retro games to be reviewed by modern standards. So if Halo 6 on XBOX Two gets 95% then ShooterX on Spectrum gets 96% only if its a more enjoyable and better game. 2D or 3D doesn't come into it.

Another issue is often the text in the homebrew review section just describes the gameplay and doesn't really say what makes the game good or bad in any detail.

What do other people think? I like RG a lot in general but this has been bugging me for a while

Sokurah

Re: Retro Gamer Review Marks

Post by Sokurah » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 am

RichPT wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:30 pm
Another issue is often the text in the homebrew review section just describes the gameplay and doesn't really say what makes the game good or bad in any detail.
Yeah, this one bugs me too.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 pm

I still haven't forgiven Darran for the 100% rating for Super Mario Galaxy 2... still waiting for an apology for that one! :D All that horrible jumping about, deserves no more than about 82% in my books.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:03 am

You should really consider the marks as being different categories.
The ratings for homebrew are based on how good the game is for that system and how original it is, while the "new" releases in Retro Rated are more about comparing value as a new game - if that makes sense.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:45 am

merman wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:03 am
You should really consider the marks as being different categories.
The ratings for homebrew are based on how good the game is for that system and how original it is, while the "new" releases in Retro Rated are more about comparing value as a new game - if that makes sense.
I see what you mean. It is tricky when a game might be better than anything else on the system but not as good as a modern game in the same genre. But IMO some games on older systems are still more playable and enjoyable than modern examples. Robotron 2084 (from 1982) is still leagues ahead of most if not all modern twin-stick shooters and there have been a lot of twin-stick shooters in recent years. There's no reason why this shouldn't be the same for all genres

I did a Spectrum blog for a short while where I rated games by how good they were today. Would I actually play them when I could be playing the latest Grand Theft Auto etc? I felt that was a really good measure. And for some games - they were great at the time but now I wouldn't spend much time playing them apart from nostalgic reasons. But for other's I still enjoyed them now and *would* actually play them over modern games. E.g. I absolutely loved Dynamite Dan and spent ages playing it, but Dynamite Dan 2 didn't hold my attention for that long and wasn't as enjoyable. I just think a good game is a good game.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks for bringing this up RichPT.
We've actually been discussing this on and off for years and was looking at changing the scores so they are one grade for new games and one for old.
I think we eventually decided that people clearly won't think we're directly comparing this game in the new reviews section to the games in the home brew section.
We were clearly wrong on that point!
We might go really old school and have separate scores for graphics, sound, playability etc for the home brew stuff.
We'll have a word with Jason and look at potentially implementing something.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:30 am

ncf1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 pm
I still haven't forgiven Darran for the 100% rating for Super Mario Galaxy 2... still waiting for an apology for that one! :D All that horrible jumping about, deserves no more than about 82% in my books.
Funnily enough I got SMG-2 based on Darren's review of it, but haven't gotten round to playing it yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:25 am

I dunno really. Reviews are so subjective, and are personal opinions. I'm not sure if I even like a percentage system, or even out of five or ten thing type things. If you score something say 90% there will always be someone upset and specific, who will claim something only deserves 78.3% or something like that.

I don't mind anyones review as it is based on opinion, I almost would prefer no score and a simple traffic light! Good, not good, so-so...with a detail as to why it is that way. And it helps to know if the genre is the reviewers cup of tea. That's all that I feel is needed.

ely

Post by ely » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Review scores are basically pointless. They only work if you are the intended audience for the game /genre in question really. I mean any new version of Street Fighter could get 5/5 or 100% and be hailed at the best fighting game ever, but as someone who's not a fan of fighting games I'm still not going to buy it.

There was always that great debate within the realms of EDGE magazine letters page about dispensing with scores entirely, but they never would do it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:56 pm

antsbull wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:30 am
ncf1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 pm
Funnily enough I got SMG-2 based on Darren's review of it, but haven't gotten round to playing it yet :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wanna know your review score after you finish playing it ! :wink: :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:26 pm

ely wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:51 pm
There was always that great debate within the realms of EDGE magazine letters page about dispensing with scores entirely, but they never would do it.
They did in one issue.

Personally, I didn't like it. It's not so much that the scores are hugely important, it just gives a sort order for reading/consideration.

As you say, genres are more significant, but you want some idea if a game is quality or poo in general. I've played a fair few games with middling scores and highly enjoyed them, but something scoring 1/5, 2/10 or 25% is likely to be hugely flawed and probably best avoided.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Spectrum1972

Post by Spectrum1972 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:32 am

I think that the review marks should just be kept simple as a percentage. I never really liked the experiment you did before with 'Just A Score' where readers could contribute their own scores on the web site.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:09 pm
We might go really old school and have separate scores for graphics, sound, playability etc for the home brew stuff.
I prefer this way of scoring for all games. Playability is always the most important in my opinion, and the graphics could look great in the magazine but not when seen in action.