TheC64!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MattyC64c

TheC64!

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi folks,

We've had the C64 mini and it's not half bad, but December sees the launch of its big brother, 'TheC64' The same as the mini console but now full size, with a working keyboard.

Now as far as the mini console craze has been of late, I've not really been bothered, after all, there's emulation, but this machine?.... I REALLY want this machine! :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yOch48SScs
Last edited by MattyC64c on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shadowflare7799

Re: TheC64!

Post by shadowflare7799 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:18 pm

I love the Commodore 64, its been one of my favorite retro gaming platforms of all time! Now that I see a new console about to be released I am planning on buying one for the novelty of it, of course there is emulation too!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC78Jx4 ... gnbVM6Tp4g

My youtube gaming channel speedruns and no deathruns of both classic and modern games.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm

This was the machine that they always wanted to make. They just got sidetracked because of the mini console craze. Still, if that hadn't happened, this probably wouldn't either and it'll be a better machine for it because of what they've learned.

My fingers are crossed that they don't have any of the issues of the Spectrum Next team, who completed the rest of the hardware pretty much on schedule but have then spent the better of two years trying to get a working keyboard. Once you get outside the realms of off-the-shelf parts, these things can be far from easy.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:33 pm

They really need to look at the joystick. I have the mini and I like it, there are some good games on it, but the joystick is incredibly unresponsive which spoils the whole experience.

SHaines

Post by SHaines » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm

This is something I am waiting to hear reviews on. If it works as intended at launch, I'll grab one at the first opportunity. I would love to get back to these old games. My hope would be that I would be better at them now, but that could just be wishful thinking. I remember Impossible Mission well and that name definitely applies.

HdE

Post by HdE » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am

I'm actually a *tiny* bit concerned about this. I mean, I WANT it, don't get me wrong - a full size replica C64 with modern conveniences like USB is hard to say no to. But for the price, I actually wonder how good it'll be. £110.00 seems awfully cheap for what's being marketed as a fully functional computer.

My biggest concern is the keyboard. I REALLY hope it's up to decent quality. Gonna be watching this one with great interest!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:05 am

HdE wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am
But for the price, I actually wonder how good it'll be. £110.00 seems awfully cheap for what's being marketed as a fully functional computer.
It's cheap because the hardware making up the unit is cheap. The motherboard and SOC that powers the C64 mini has less processing power, and a quarter of the RAM than the Raspberry Pie 3, and the PIE is only a £30 minicomputer. The C64 Mini machine uses an ALLWINNER A20 Arm Cortex-A7 Dual-Core, 256MB RAM and a 256MB Flash Nand Flash storage for the OS and the included games. I'm pretty sure the full-size C64 will utilise a similar hardware solution. That leaves the rest of the price for the case and whatever markup the manufacturer has.

It's not being marketed as a fully functional computer.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:32 pm

It's more down to economies of scale than anything else. The Raspberry Pi is cheap because they're making millions of them, so one off costs for things like R&D are spread thinly and the price is dominated by components.

That's especially true for keyboards. Getting a working prototype and setting up for mass production is expensive. However, once that is done, the incremental costs are pretty small. I'm not sure how many of them will be made, but it's a safe bet that there won't be Raspberry Pi numbers, at least for starters.

HdE

Post by HdE » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:26 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:05 am

It's not being marketed as a fully functional computer.
Might be worth clarifying here: when I say the C64 is marketed as a fully functional computer, that's clearly my take on it. Basically because of the inclusion of a full keyboard.

Mostly, what I'm worried about is the build quality of the case. It's tempting to slap down a pre-order right away, but I think it's going to be a case of waiting on advance hardware reviews.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:37 pm

HdE wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Might be worth clarifying here: when I say the C64 is marketed as a fully functional computer, that's clearly my take on it. Basically because of the inclusion of a full keyboard.

Mostly, what I'm worried about is the build quality of the case. It's tempting to slap down a pre-order right away, but I think it's going to be a case of waiting on advance hardware reviews.
You mean a 'fully functional' C64 type computer right? Obviously, it's missing all the original ports and stuff. with two USB ports, an HDMI and a keyboard, which I like you am very curious to see how the build quality is too. Apparently, this version comes with a fully micro-switched joystick, which should be better than the one they bundled in the C64 Mini.

As for pre-ordering, I couldn't resist this time around. Hope it's worth it lol!! 😁

HdE

Post by HdE » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:01 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:37 pm
You mean a 'fully functional' C64 type computer right? Obviously, it's missing all the original ports and stuff. with two USB ports, an HDMI and a keyboard, which I like you am very curious to see how the build quality is too. Apparently, this version comes with a fully micro-switched joystick, which should be better than the one they bundled in the C64 Mini.
Yeah - basically that!

I'm quite hopeful, because the joystick at least sounds like it's been given an overhaul. If that's any indicator, then I'd like to think Retro Games are taking the construction of the unit seriously.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:11 am

I pre-ordered this and got notification that it had dropped in price to £99.99

I'm happy with that :)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Must admit, I'm more interested in the Mega65.

If there is ever a finished product, I'd snap it up, although it looks as though it will cost a pretty penny, for sure. Not sure about the disk drive though. I just wouldn't want to use 3 1/2 inch floppy discs in the era of SD cards - that said it does add to its retro charm.

There is an FPGA core, presumably this could work for something like the MiST FPGA?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:32 am

I see it has got a local release date, and not a bad local price. And as luck would have it, stores here are trying to unload stocks of C64 mini, so got one today at 75% off retail, which I'm delighted with. Been wanting one but our price was just too high, this made it an instant buy