Mega Drive Mini

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HdE

Re: Mega Drive Mini

Post by HdE » Thu May 23, 2019 9:37 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:40 pm
I just hope they don't do what they always used to do on the Mega Games compilations, which was shoving World Cup Italia 90 (or Sega Soccer, later) in at every opportunity.
Hey - they had to get their mileage out of that one somehow!

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 pm

I pre-ordered one from my local Smyths a couple of weeks ago. I already have several original Mega Drives around the house, an Everdrive MD, tons of original games and half a dozen systems capable of emulating the Mega Drive but there's something special and exciting about getting a brand new, officially packaged Mega Drive product from the same town where my original Mega Drive was bought back in 1992 and carrying it home with the same joy and anticipation. I didn't have that connection with the NES, SNES, PS1 or C64 and therefore didn't feel any inclination to buy their minis. The Mega Drive mini was an absolute no brainer for me.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue May 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Yeah, there's something special about the "Official" Minis, especially if they're well done. The NES and SNES are wonderful little buggers and give the sheer miracle working nerdery that is M2 this should be as well.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed May 29, 2019 3:23 am

Yes, this one is looking more likely a buy for me, to go with NES/SNES. The PS1 classic was a shame and wasted opportunity - but I'd still pick up at the right price consider the ease you can add what you want to it.

This one though, it is sounding more and more like they are pulling out the stops to get this one right.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed May 29, 2019 1:58 pm

I'm normally a little bit against modding this kind of thing because if you want an unofficial thing you might as well go for a Raspberry Pi.

But in the case of the Playstation one all you're really doing is fixing the mistakes Sony made.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:58 am

Dudley wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:58 pm
I'm normally a little bit against modding this kind of thing because if you want an unofficial thing you might as well go for a Raspberry Pi.

But in the case of the Playstation one all you're really doing is fixing the mistakes Sony made.
Yeah, I'm the same. This Megadrive looks good enough to keep as is, as I have the Nes/SNES.

But that PS1. I understand licensing problems, but it's astounding how badly Sony got this wrong after initial anticipation. By all accounts it's great once you sort of override the emulated games on it and add better ones off the net.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm

So then, the "last" batch of games announced.

- Tetris
- Darius
- Road Rash II
- Strider
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Alisia Dragoon
- Columns
- Dynamite Headdy
- Kid Chameleon
- Monster World IV
- Light Crusader
- Eternal Champions

So it looks like this time round the emulation should be spot on, M2 should do a bang up job, the games list doesn't just go down the obvious route, with plenty of top quality games on there.

MD Tetris, brilliant!

This is the plug & play Sega fans should've had years ago before Blaze/AtGames cheapened the hell out of the MD brand.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm

More games have been announced for the Genesis so far, and it looks like they will have MEGA-CD and 32X add ons (non working but just for looks) The pictures of these are online, I hope they are real

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:44 pm

The add ons are real, including a Sonic and Knuckles lock on cart and a Sonic 1 cart for giggles, though all for show not functional.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... H5SNua6Wao
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Big Shoes wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm
More games have been announced for the Genesis so far, and it looks like they will have MEGA-CD and 32X add ons
MCD and 32X games would be nice, as they tended to get the better versions of games and several worthy exclusives (e.g. Space Harrier 32X [almost Arcade-perfect port], After Burner 32X [same as Space Harrier], Tempo 32X [nice rhytm platformer where the 32X version is not far behind the Saturn one], Mortal Kombat II 32X [MD version with more animations and colours], Doom 32X [yeah the sound is horrible here but it's still a decent port of Doom], Knuckles Chaotix 32X [unique Sonic spin-off title where you have to control both characters to progress], Star Wars Arcade 32X [good Arcade port], Virtua Fighter 32X [MD got VF2 but it wasn't a 3D fighter], Soul Star CD [nice "in-screen" shmup where MCD's extra scaling effects came to expression], Sonic CD [unique Sonic title and a very good one too], Snatcher CD [unique game by Hideo Kojima], Mortal Kombat CD [Arcade quality sound], Earthworm Jim CD [considerably better than the MD version], etc.)

I'd say both add-ons were pretty decent, the problem was just that they were pricy and were losing support and the fact that it was two add-ons when it should have been just one.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:59 am

Sounds like everything is being done right, fingers crossed. This would be a great pickup now I think, providing local price is right

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:56 pm

As I've already said, a couple of multiplayer sports games would have been good (Sensible Soccer, Speedball 2, NHL, Madden, something, anything!).

And the 3-button controllers feels a bit mean-spirited considering the Japs are getting the six button.

It's a no from me.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Skylark

Post by Skylark » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Almost every MD game I play on a regular basis is included - bar S3&K, again, sigh ... - and the price point is about right. It works out somewhat the same as buying the Mega Drive Pi case and decent controllers, but this way I get to show Sega a little love. Selfishly, I want them to find serving the retro-market to be a profitable niche.
Dudley wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:58 pm
^

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:42 am

Seems that the version of Tetris isn't the almost-lost original from the MD years, but a new one coded from scratch. Darius port also looks excellent.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:08 am

The Asian Megadrive mini has Alien Soldier and Shining Force 2 as exclusives. Granted the other exclusives like Outrun 2099 aren’t very good, but damn the Asian version is looking good.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"