Subs Department Epic Failure

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

antsbull

Subs Department Epic Failure

Post by antsbull » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:23 pm

So I just got an email from subscriptions@mail.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk, asking why I have left the magazine and asking for feedback on what they could do better.

The funny thing is (and worrying), I renewed my subscription two months ago and haven't left the magazine. So now I'm worried that my subscription has been ballsed up again (3 mags not received out of last 12). Did anyone else get this email wrongly?

FatTrucker

Re: Subs Department Epic Failure

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:36 pm

I cancelled mine at the end of September and have no contact from them.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 pm

So I got a "time to renew your sub" mail. Looking up my user at the web site only shows an EDGE sub. Cue mail to subs. *Crickets*
So it's just an automated mailing system without anyone really reading the mail?

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:17 am

NorthWay wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 pm
So I got a "time to renew your sub" mail. Looking up my user at the web site only shows an EDGE sub. Cue mail to subs. *Crickets*
So it's just an automated mailing system without anyone really reading the mail?
I've got an even better one now - I contacted subs twice, and both times told them I had already resubscribed and they could stop harrassing me. Two weeks later I get a personal letter in the post from Darren begging me to re-subscribe to the magazine. With a digitised signature from him and everything. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If you're reading this Darren, thanks for the letter it was touching :mrgreen:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 pm
Let me be positive here for once:
I got mail back from subs. After a follow-up mail they finally got that my two subs weren't linked, and they fixed it. I now see all on the same account. So I renew RG. And I'm on a "Europe" delivery, not a rest of world as I thought.
Second, when using the link in the first offer mail I got a much better price than what is obviously the default renew price (147 VS 133). So of course I did that! Sorted for the next two years now.

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 pm

I've got a personalized postcard informing me that my subscription is about to end. That is like a joke really. Before that there was a sealed mail with roughly the same information.
I bet both of those took a couple of weeks to arrive and yet here I am still waiting for 188 and 191 to materialize...

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:14 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 pm
Let me be positive here for once:
I got mail back from subs. After a follow-up mail they finally got that my two subs weren't linked, and they fixed it. I now see all on the same account. So I renew RG. And I'm on a "Europe" delivery, not a rest of world as I thought.
Second, when using the link in the first offer mail I got a much better price than what is obviously the default renew price (147 VS 133). So of course I did that! Sorted for the next two years now.
Yeah, but as we have basically established over the last year or so, Norway kind of exists in a mystical bubble where subscription issues actually do arrive within a reasonable timeframe - something not true for virtually any other place outside the UK.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Solegor wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 pm
I've got a personalized postcard informing me that my subscription is about to end. That is like a joke really. Before that there was a sealed mail with roughly the same information.
I bet both of those took a couple of weeks to arrive and yet here I am still waiting for 188 and 191 to materialize...
I'm pretty sure these letters and postcards do arrive much quicker, as they're sent directly from the UK with regular mail services and not routed through incredibly slow remailers or whatever it is that causes delivery times to e.g. Germany of 5 weeks and more.

Because getting more of your money is much more important than you getting the stuff you actually gave them the money for, obviously.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am

Weblaus wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:16 pm
Solegor wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 pm
I'm pretty sure these letters and postcards do arrive much quicker, as they're sent directly from the UK with regular mail services and not routed through incredibly slow remailers or whatever it is that causes delivery times to e.g. Germany of 5 weeks and more.

Because getting more of your money is much more important than you getting the stuff you actually gave them the money for, obviously.
Funnily enough I've now had two mailed letters from 'Darren' in the last month begging me to restart my subscription, even though I've contacted Subs twice to point out I actually do have a current subscription.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:33 am

I can see how this would happen, e.g (my guess), they have you set up in one database as having an active sub but there is another list somewhere else that is not tied to that.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 am

Well done antsbull for not entitling this threat “Epic Fail”. Just wanted to say that. I hate the way that American culture is slowly but surely turning all verbs into nouns, in order to save on syllables.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Extraprawns

Post by Extraprawns » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:09 pm

I had to renew my sub under a new credit card. I was told my sub would restart with issue 193, skipping 192.
I emailed and asked about it and they said 192 was out of stock.
Not sure how that happens but i wasn't even late in renewing my sub.
Also second time I've enquired about my sub and they mistake it for "PC Gamer". Annoying.

Anyway I guess I'll back order 192 even though they're out of stock lol

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 am

I've got 3 mails (yes, snail mail) to renew my subscription. All of them were different in design (one even looked like a postcard) and wording but the price was exactly the same. Don't care about the price but until trackable delivery is introduced I will not re-subscribe.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri May 31, 2019 7:01 pm

"It's been a while since you received your last copy of Retro Gamer and we want you back! "
Have you completely lost your marbles RG? Did the fix your subs dept do for me confuse yourself?
This is not cool. Don't send me bogus mail - my sub is running just fine thank you.

EDIT: Even better! The "From" address is not valid to reply to. I think garden gnomes have taken over modern IT. We used to have standards back in the day.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 am

I think this is a problem in so many work environments now. Just so much automation, TOO much IT run aspects of modern industry. Bugs and gremlins everywhere. We can't get through a week at work now without something on the IT side buggering top and putting us back. And if it isn't our work, it's another company dealing with our work we're waiting on.

Too much tech is not a good thing IMO. Of course, you say that out loud and you get THAT little smirk and smile, the 'old farts aren't with the times' smile. That smug look disappears when their beloved system has packed up, again, third time in a week!

Rant over