Streets of Rage 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thedustyjoypad

Streets of Rage 2

Post by thedustyjoypad » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:51 am

Had a SOR2 night last night. Love it, but it really is harder than SOR. Tried playing though it twice and failed both times right at the end Haha.

2nd time through I was playing as Max. Never really used him before, but man is he good. Might he slow but he's a monster!

Need to get some more practice on it!
Retro gaming since it was just called gaming!

kiwimike

Re: Streets of Rage 2

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:44 am

Great game. Still give it a go now and again, we used to play it to death when we first had it, awesome multiplayer nights

thedustyjoypad

Post by thedustyjoypad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:16 am

It really is great, the music is something else!

Speaking of its music, found a live concert from it's composer, doing music from SOR 1, 2, 3 and Revenge of Shinobi. Check this out...

https://youtu.be/mW03QgubN0M

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm

I brought a couple of Mega Drive downloads for my nephew on his birthday 5 years ago on his 360. He thought they were mostly alright despite not really being into retro games but SOR 2 really took his fancy, really noticing how good the music and gameplay was.

He was about 10 at the time. For someone that would mostly play the likes of Minecraft, Overwatch, PUBG and other modern games in his teenage years, just shows SOR2 really still holds up even for an entirely different generation. I might rebuy the games for his Stream library on his next bday and see how nostalgic he gets from it.
Last edited by ALK on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

thedustyjoypad

Post by thedustyjoypad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:14 pm

It's great seeing the younger lot playing these games. My 11 year old daughter enjoys playing Final Fight and Captain Commando with me. I love it :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:46 pm

One of the greats. The last version I bought was the 3D version on the 3DS which is amazing.

Admittedly, I haven't played "pure" Streets of Rage II for ages now. I tend to just play the momentous SoR Remake on PC with a Xbox 360 pad. All three games mixed together with remixed music and the ability to play as Mr X, Shiva, Electra and also Ash and the Kangaroo from SoRIII. It's one of the greatest things ever.

Unfortunately it was a fan creation and got pulled after pressure by Sega but I'm sure it's still out there somewhere if you know where to look.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

thedustyjoypad

Post by thedustyjoypad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Yeah I got the remake too, it's really good. Haven't played it for some time though. Will have to dig it out again though. They did such a good job with it, it's a shame Sega got funny about it.

thedustyjoypad

Post by thedustyjoypad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Just been playing SOR3. Never really 'liked' it before. But I think I've developed a new found respect for it. Played it the last couple of nights actually. Its no SOR2, but it's got some good ideas, like the way the story unfolds through it.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:32 pm

I really liked the story and it was a very worthy sequel.

I thought the graphics were great and I like the fact that the main characters and enemies all had new/different moves!

The addition of Max was awesome, I thought he was a great character, but I always found Skate really irritating.

As great a game as this was though, and I still play it fairly regularly, if pushed I still prefer the original.
Press Play On Tape

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 am

I will say one of the best games I have ever played. Still play through it every now and then with a friend, years later it Still stands up really well.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue May 21, 2019 1:33 am

It's an evergreen title.

If you're at a gaming event & there's a spare megadrive sitting about , it's always a fun playthrough with a beer & a mate.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue May 21, 2019 9:54 am

Streets Of Rage 2 is one of those rare games where everything that makes a particular genre coalesces into a "perfect" entry.

SOR2 has it all. Excellent graphics, outstanding music, crisp controls, and (imho) perfectly tuned gameplay.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Was playing the 3DS port again the other day. I've been playing this game since the Mega Drive original and only just realised that you can pick up grenades and throw them! I always ran the hell away so never tried before LOL

Max is awesome but over the years, Blaze has become my go-to. I love her Hadoken-style special move and leaping around suplexing enemies.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am

i have to confess to playing as skate. cant beat jumping on somebody's back and giving them a pummeling.

Also his dash attack is like Vega's from SF2

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:14 am

I can still 1CC this with Blaze. I was 1st place Worldwide in the weekly rankings on X box live finishing Mania with 9999999 many years ago.

Still load my Megadrive cart up and give it a spin with Blaze
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"