Paid for 'free gifts'

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

senzer

Paid for 'free gifts'

Post by senzer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi. It's very cynical of you to put unwanted tat on the front of your magazine, and then charge me an extra quid for it. I put up with you guys massively lowering the quality of the paper inside, but this is just abusing loyal customers.

No more paid for free gifts, thanks.

fredghostmaster

Re: Paid for 'free gifts'

Post by fredghostmaster » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 pm

I have no interest in the CD but it's no big deal when it's only £1 extra. Lots of decent content this month as well. If you don't think it's worth the money, no one is forcing you to buy it.

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:53 pm

People will complain about anything really.
For you it's a "useless tat", for some it's a very nice addition (listened to C64 Remix disc many times) . And yes, it's free for subscribers.
Cheers to RG team for keeping it interesting and fresh.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 am

If price is such a problem that a one off £1 extra is unacceptable to offset extra content, why are you even paying the cover price and not getting the discount as a subscriber?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:12 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 pm
I have no interest in the CD but it's no big deal when it's only £1 extra. Lots of decent content this month as well. If you don't think it's worth the money, no one is forcing you to buy it.
Agree. I loved the your Sinclair supplement ages ago. Sure some people didn’t. I won’t listen to the CD but I won’t be upset enough to register on a website and moan about £1. Can’t win with these people

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:14 pm

You should listen to the CD. It's a bit hit and miss, but not bad.

If you like Jarre, track 1 is very much in that style, though that in turn dates it somewhat. The other tracks cover a variety of musical styles.

I wouldn't let the C64 origins put anyone off, since they're all remixes, not chiptunes.

I miss the C64 Takeaway.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

senzer

Post by senzer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:09 am

Yeah no surprise the sheep on here just love paying an extra quid for a CD they admit they don't even play. You literally can't make this stuff up. No opinion about the lower quality paper and how the mag is a shadow of its former self.

Note to rg/future - stop preying on your customers. It's five quid we are paying, which is far too much already. I'm guessing I'm not the only one peed off about this, but remember not everyone is going to log into the forum and complain. They'll stop buying the magazine. And you won't win them back.

To those who mentioned subbing- if you want to pay for my subscription, go for it.

And for the love of god stop with that same "but he finds it not a problem because he has no partner or kids" joke. It's not funny. In fact, none of the jokes are. The portraits are hard enough to endure

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:21 am

I can't really respond to that in the manner I'd like without getting a ban.

What's the problem with subscribing? Why is that such an offensive option to you?

Why is it so hard to see that all of the content of the mag is subjective? Every month, readers pay for content they don't want, since it can't possibly be the case that every reader is interested in every article. Some will like the CD, some wont, and this can and will draw in some buyers.

With regard to paper quality and the mag not being what it was? There are no end of complaints about that on the forum, along with the complaints about colour selections, small print, poor print quality, and various other issues.

My CD has been playing in the car btw.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 am

Wow, Senzer is a real angry ant isn't he! Not worth arguing with someone like that, perhaps we could have a whip round so he can have his £1 back to cheer him up a bit?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:30 am

senzer wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:01 pm
Hi. It's very cynical of you to put unwanted tat on the front of your magazine, and then charge me an extra quid for it. I put up with you guys massively lowering the quality of the paper inside, but this is just abusing loyal customers.

No more paid for free gifts, thanks.
Thanks for getting in touch.
We don't actually state anywhere that it's a free gift, so I'm not sure what to suggest. The best way to avoid the extra charge on our special edition issues is to simply take out a subscription.

Regards,
Darran

ely

Post by ely » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:45 am

How can you get that worked up about a measly quid?!

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 am

senzer wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:09 am
Yeah no surprise the sheep on here just love paying an extra quid for a CD they admit they don't even play. You literally can't make this stuff up. No opinion about the lower quality paper and how the mag is a shadow of its former self.
Most people on here are subscribers I believe. You don't like the mag, don't buy it. If its a shadow of its former self then you wouldn't be buying it would you? Grow up pal.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 pm

Why does he assume we are all Welsh?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm

senzer wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:09 am

Note to rg/future - stop preying on your customers. It's five quid we are paying, which is far too much already. I'm guessing I'm not the only one peed off about this, but remember not everyone is going to log into the forum and complain. They'll stop buying the magazine. And you won't win them back.

To those who mentioned subbing- if you want to pay for my subscription, go for it.

And for the love of god stop with that same "but he finds it not a problem because he has no partner or kids" joke. It's not funny. In fact, none of the jokes are. The portraits are hard enough to endure
The sheep ? Its a frickin quid. If they took the p!ss and did it every month then maybe fair enough. But it seems to be a one off. Cant believe youre so upset over this. Again i dont like the CD but maybe in 3 months there might be one i like so i cant complain.

Again for flip sake its a quid and i'm the 'sheep' ? Forget the sheep, lets get rid of the tight gits. In every day life you get people like this sadly

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:07 pm

He's been a member here for 5 years. He's made 5 posts. 4 of them are moaning about stuff (ok, maybe three and a half, he did get in a valid contribution with a moan).