PS4 Exclusive Recommendations?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

PS4 Exclusive Recommendations?

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:37 pm

So having at last joined the PS4 Owners club recently, its time to start building a collection (Bar the PS+ games I have) so time for a recommendations topic! :lol:

As I've had an XBONE X for nearly a year now and it being my go to system in regards to multiplats, I want to mainly focus on the exclusives the PS4 has. Aside from the obvious stuff like Spiderman and God of War (Already ordered Street Fighter V), what are the more hidden gem exclusives you guys recommend?

Also with my PS4 being a Pro, what are the games that get a really good upgrade in 4K?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

jdanddiet

Re: PS4 Exclusive Recommendations?

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 pm

I got a ps4 pro end of last year and the first thing I did was buy a bunch of exclusives!

I'm currently working my way through the uncharted collection, and have enjoyed all 3 of them. They've been tarted up and look lovely.
Next up I've got last of us then horizon zero dawn, bloodborne, uncharted 4 and until dawn.

You should really get vr too - I got the mega pack which came with 5 games for £230 iirc. There are loads of games on the ps store.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:15 pm

The Wipeout Omega collection is fun

Its also VR compatible
Sick bags are cheap
ALK wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:37 pm
(Already ordered Street Fighter V)

SPOILER ALERT!!
Its not that good

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:07 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 pm
You should really get vr too - I got the mega pack which came with 5 games for £230 iirc. There are loads of games on the ps store.
Thats in the plans. :wink: I have quite a few 3D Blu Rays with no way of playing them but with the VR I understand you can watch them via the headset in 3D without shelling out for a 3DTV (Which I believe are no longer made and I wanna get a 4KTV at some point). Just hope I don't get neck ache from watch a long movie with having the headset on long, haha. :lol:

Course, I dunno when exactly I'll get one. 4KTV and a high end art tablet are on my To Get list next.
DPrinny wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:15 pm
SPOILER ALERT!!
Its not that good

I'm aware its probably not the best SF but still wanted to play it since it was announced. Plus with getting the Arcade Edition, I trust it'll be a bit more beefy than at launch with the Season 1 and 2 content included. I was one of the few that really enjoyed IV over the others so who knows, maybe I get something out of this one.

And if not....least there's an ehh version of SFIV on PS4. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Tetris Effect looks great to me and currently, it's PS4 only.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 pm

The Yakuza games. Not really exclusive, there are pc versions and a couple of Wii u games(?) but you can't get them on Xbox yet.
Infamous games are worth a punt and likely dirt cheap now.
The knack games, the order and killzone can be picked up cheaply and all worth time.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:12 am

All the Uncharted games.

Shadow of the colossus

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:05 pm

ulrich7ad wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 pm
The Yakuza games. Not really exclusive, there are pc versions and a couple of Wii u games(?) but you can't get them on Xbox yet.
The knack games, the order and killzone can be picked up cheaply and all worth time.
Technically there are only 2 Yakuza games on the PC for the moment (and who knows when the rest will show up, not soon enough!) meanwhile there's 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 6, Ishin, Judge Eyes and Fist of the North Star on the PS4 to play (and 5 is on its way at some point this year, with a brand new sequel to 6 coming at some point in the future as well).
That said, unfortunately Ishin, 3, 4 and Judge Eyes are Japan only for the foreseeable future (JE was supposed to be getting a English release in June but that's now in question due to the game getting pulled in Japan amid the arrest of the main villain of the game taking Cocaine, which is apparently life ending over there) so kinda glad I've already imported and 100%ed that game.
As for the Wii U, it only got the first 2 PS2 games released - along with the PS3 the games were remastered into HD and on the Wii U it bombed so bad that only a couple of thousand copies were sold. Which is actually a pity as Yakuza on Switch would be amazing, as the PSP proved handheld Yakuza works amazing, I'd totally rebuy the series on Switch if they ever ported them.

EDF 4.1 and 5 are on PS4 (and I think PC) and are well worth the time. Drive Club I found really enjoyable personally after a few patches (not quite Forza Horizon tier, but still darn fun) and Guilty Gear Xrd is another fantastic fighter from ASW.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:27 am

Funny thing is, some of those games are already in my pile of PS+ games I've racked up over the last 2 years. :lol: Already see Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Knack 1 and Yakuza Kiwami which have all been or currently are downloaded/downloading.

Yakuza is a series I have heard a number of times so I trust Kiwami is a good place to start story wise right? Assuming these games have an on-going plot...

Been playing a fair bit of Street Fighter V lately and.....I don't find it too bad. Might be because I'm not that superb at fighting games but I am getting some enjoyment out of it. Prefer IV and yeah that Fight Money thing looks a mess but ehh, got to play as my main Sakura for nothing so I guess thats something. :lol:

Speaking of, are there any good controllers for SFV and other fighting games? The Duelshock 4's alright but I find myself jumping without pressing up on the D Pad a number of times. I liked the d pad for the fightpads Street Fighter IV had in the PS360 era but I don't seen any real equivalent for PS4.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Kiwami is a remake of the first game. So a fine place to start. Technically from a modern standpoint 0 is the best place to start as they added/retooled a couple of bits in Kiwami to tie into 0, so parts of the plot make more sense but you'll hardly be lost playing them in either order. Plus almost all of the series are self contained, so plots are finished at the end of each game, no Shenmue cave cliffhangars here.

As for SFV, I love it. FM worked great initially as you could get tons with no effort, so I got almost the entire character roster for free, as well as other costumes and backgrounds but Capcom changed things late last year unfortunately, but hey their cross over costumes are fantastic, so many great call backs to Capcom classics. I prefer it to 4 thanks to the changes they made to combos (frame links are 3 frames, not 1 frame so its just that little bit easier to play) plus I much prefer the cast/changes in 5 over 4 (4 feels like a retreat of SF2, while 5 actually evolves most/all of the returning characters which I really like).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:53 pm

I need to get back into SFV. Enjoyed the gameplay and visuals but unfortunately, I don't bother with online as I don't have the time to get THAT good. Playing offline is crap for amassing FM so you're kind of committed to having to pay for stuff with cash. Wasn't impressed with having to pay for things as small as palette swaps and I haven't been taken with many of the new characters that have been released since I stopped playing it.

Still, it has my three favourites - Mika, Cammy and Akuma - so I still get something from it.

In my opinion, KOF XIV has been the better fighting game (and I believe it is exclusive to PS4 as far as consoles go). Quite a lot of free updates and the DLC characters are all worth getting IMO. I've put about ten times the playtime into that compared with SFV. Shame that it doesn't look that sexy but at the same time, I was shocked with how good it was given the SNK situation at the time with the new owners.

Until Dawn is another essential exclusive IMO.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Is there much retro stuff available for the PS4?
Press Play On Tape

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 am

All those Neo Geo releases along with some arcade titles released by the same company giving us these Neo Geo games (Tito, etc.), that SEGA Mega Drive Collection with a PSVR mode where you play the games in a 90s inspired bedroom, PS2 games with added trophies and other modern features, I believe PSNow lets you play PS1/2/3 games through streaming, those Atari Collections, those are a few I know at least.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:40 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:05 pm
ulrich7ad wrote:
Technically there are only 2 Yakuza games on the PC for the moment (and who knows when the rest will show up, not soon enough!) meanwhile there's 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 6, Ishin, Judge Eyes and Fist of the North Star on the PS4 to play (and 5 is on its way at some point this year, with a brand new sequel to 6 coming at some point in the future as well).
That said, unfortunately Ishin, 3, 4 and Judge Eyes are Japan only for the foreseeable future (JE was supposed to be getting a English release in June but that's now in question due to the game getting pulled in Japan amid the arrest of the main villain of the game taking Cocaine, which is apparently life ending over there) so kinda glad I've already imported and 100%ed that game.
As for the Wii U, it only got the first 2 PS2 games released - along with the PS3 the games were remastered into HD and on the Wii U it bombed so bad that only a couple of thousand copies were sold. Which is actually a pity as Yakuza on Switch would be amazing, as the PSP proved handheld Yakuza works amazing, I'd totally rebuy the series on Switch if they ever ported them.

EDF 4.1 and 5 are on PS4 (and I think PC) and are well worth the time. Drive Club I found really enjoyable personally after a few patches (not quite Forza Horizon tier, but still darn fun) and Guilty Gear Xrd is another fantastic fighter from ASW.
I have ishin in my to play pile and I have JE on my radar. I didn't know about the first of the north star connection though.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Yakuza 0 is absolutely awesome fun - I have spent hours on the mini-games alone!