Mame Advice please

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MattyC64c

Mame Advice please

Post by MattyC64c » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi,

Okay, so today I did a little Mame project. The idea was to download a very, very large MAME Rom Set from the Archive.org website. The zip file was 58GB, it took nearly two hours to download, not bad going for its size. I downloaded and installed Lauchbox, and a Mame program called MameUI64 version 207. After this, I moved all of the Roms (still in their zip files), to the ROMS folder in MAME

Then I lauched Launchbox and proceeded to import all of the downloaded ROM files. After a few hours of mostly waiting for the system to download all of the bezels and box art, I tried it out.

I'm a little disappointed. I thought downloading a ROM set would mean all of the games would work, right?? Why is it that loads of these games don't launch? They all have the same errors, missing files and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, some of the games I wanted to play using Lauchbox worked great like Outrun, Super-Hang-On, Bad Dudes, but loads of games don't, and I'm not sure what to do now. Seems like I have a big archive with a huge chunk of useless unplayable games.

Did I download the wrong archive? Am I using the wrong version of MAME?

Thanks in advance.

mr jenzie

Re: Mame Advice please

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:53 pm

mismatching of game files to mameui64 v207 ..... it can be tricky because of the bulk download in the single file, that's why i prefer to download the games singularly.

also there might me some that would taker a LOT more to work, for instance MARVEL LAND ..... you have to actually JOIN the two files into one (just do that in any text editor) and it'll work fine

and finally those games that are unworking until a more powerful emulator exists, and will be broken and such

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:40 pm

Many of the games that aren't working are really old, I'm talking early 80's old. Missing files errors.

Is there actually a fully working Rom archive with all the files merged on the web??

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:42 am

what version is the romset? Assuming whoever compiled the set made the effort to keep the same version across game files, you'd need the same version of MAME to match that. Missing file errors are common if you've got the wrong version of MAME for the romset.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 am

Hi Antiriad2097

The Romset is version 0.197 which I downloaded from the Internet Archive website. Are you saying I need a MAME that is also 0.197 too? That would make more sense. So, is there a mame program like MAMEUI64 version 0.197? I prefer something like that as I want to change some of the graphics settings easily before I run the games through Launchbox.

I'm not new to MAME, but I am new to Romsets ha ha!

Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:42 pm

I think I've reached the conclusion that it might just be easier to do it manually lol. I mean how the heck am I going to find time to play all of those games, I'm interested in about 100 of them and that's it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Just install one of the MAME v0.197 versions, whether that's the command line or a UI version won't matter, as long as its the right version.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:48 pm

I tried 0.197, still ended up with over a 1000 useless roms. Just for an experiment I tried manually with the games I really wanted, the big hitters from the 80's, the ones I remember playing. Everything went fine until I tried Operation Wolf which was the only one out of the 20 I did that didn't work.

After faffing around for ages, I found on older MAME (0.177) sitting on my hard drive with a load of working roms in there, so I'm using that one now. How come some of the roms I had in 0.197 don't work in 0.177? The games in question are Contra and Gaunlet. Any ideas?

I know the MAME team are all about accuracy, do they change some of the systems or rom requirements around? Thus leaving us to fix none working roms? I'm a little confused.

Console emulation is so much easier! lol

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:37 pm

As previously mentioned, you need the same MAME and romset versions.

The changes aren't straightforward increments, where MAME just gets a bit better at running the same ROMs, and the ROM sets themselves will have changed as more accurate dumps become available etc.

You can also ru into the parent child thing, where a rom will need a parent before it has all its files (typically other versions of the same game). You can often fix these by copying files from the parent zip to the child zip. Easier just to play the parent game if it's in English though, which it usually is.

You have a v0.197 romset. Save yourself a lot of pain and install MAME v0.197. Then console emu.ation wouldn't appear so much easier. MAME really isn't difficult once you accept that roms and MAME must match. Get a romset, get the corresponding MAME, then just stick with it as your main MAME. If there's the odd game you want to play that's in another version or gets a big fix you want, leave the old MAME and romset alone and run another version that doesn't mess with your working set just for those games. If the new version goes wonky, the old working one will always be there.

Hope you have a decent arcade stick.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks for all that. I'll have another go.

With the Child/parent thing, do I name the completed file the parent name or the child name? Also, do i just put the files into the other zip file, or does it need to go in there as a zip, like a zip within a zip, do they need to be inside folders - with their original names in the zip file?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Many thanks! :)

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:02 am

oh GOD NO

do not change any names of zips as that create a mismatch of names, there Is no parent/child file structure in MAME, every single game is separate
and the zips are basically the folders anyway, if there is any extra files you find requested my MAME, you can simply drag and drop them over the zip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:03 am

Each game stays in it's own zip file. Variants for other regions or version w of the game will also have their own zip file. They remain separate.

The parent/child thing does (or did) exist in MAME.

For example, say therea a US version of Street Fighter 2 that is the parent with a filename of sf2.zip. the European version may be sf2e.zip, a US variant may be sf2b.zip etc. These other versions might only contain the files that differ from the parent rom saving loads of space. Occasionally, you'd find MAME grumbling about missing files when opening a game, and it can be possible to correct by copying the missing file from parent to child zip.

It isn't something you should have a problem with if you have a matching MAME and romset version.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:44 am

Excellent info there. Thanks for that. I'll have another play and maybe get another romset.

Cheers!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 am

I don't understand why you're hell bent on not using the set you've got with the correct version of MAME. Did you install and use MAME v0.197?

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:00 pm

The rom set I've got doesn't seem to be working. I believe it's a merged set, with the roms self contained with the Clones built in, it's 0.197. However, despite trying some games on MAME 0.197, some aren't working. Opwolf doesn't work, but it works in MAME 0.177, same with gaunlet which is really odd.

There is also the size, I don't really want to download another 50GB MAME set. Also, out of these 2000 games that I could possibly play, there is only about 200 games I actually want to play. I'm far more interested in the 80's and early 90's games.

I'm also interested in using buying a raspberry pi soon, and I don't want to fill the SD card with stuff I either can't use or have no interest in using.

I am very thankful for your replies though. I'm understanding more how MAME works now.