Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Crusty Starfish

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:14 am

Pikmin 4 would be a title that would ensure I would buy a Switch.... no news on that though! :(

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:04 pm

buddy1983 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:00 am
So what did everyone think of the Nintendo direct last night? Wasn't much for me but it was great to see so many games going out for the switch this year, Zelda links awakening looked amazing and I will be picking that up. I was disappointed that they didnt show off Bayonetta 3 which must mean its still a way off but Astral Chain looked pretty interesting just hope the partner dynamic isnt online only.

I've been thinking of trying out a fire emblem game for a while now but what they showed of the new one last night has put me right off, looked so boring.
I really liked it, there was lots of games I'm interested in. I have faith in Fire Emblem, if the story is strong it could have an epic feel to it.

Loved the look of Bloodstained.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:25 pm

What they showed of Fire Emblem didn't exactly look fantastic, but it has to be said that the story and characters have never been much of a strength for the series. Rather, it's the gameplay - that we barely caught a glimpse of - that'd sell it to me. With the last two games in the series for the 3DS having been exemplary in that regard, I'd still have high hopes for it.

As for Zelda, it might not be the Skyward Sword remake everyone was expecting, but it's still one fine game. I thought the art style looked good too, with shades of Wind Waker about it. It's obviously quite different from the original but, let's face it, 160x144 wouldn't cut it in the HD era.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 pm

buddy1983 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:00 am
So what did everyone think of the Nintendo direct last night? Wasn't much for me but it was great to see so many games going out for the switch this year, Zelda links awakening looked amazing and I will be picking that up. I was disappointed that they didnt show off Bayonetta 3 which must mean its still a way off but Astral Chain looked pretty interesting just hope the partner dynamic isnt online only.

I've been thinking of trying out a fire emblem game for a while now but what they showed of the new one last night has put me right off, looked so boring.
If you have a 3DS, you can download demos of the FE games on there. Maybe give the Awakening one a go.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:08 am

Tetris 99 is very addictive, great fun! Managed to finish 2nd on my 4th go last night, it gets very fast towards the end

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:25 am

Finally we're getting an Assassin's Creed, the system needs more stuff like this. A bit unfortunate it's one I've played already and not the best of them, but might buy it and play through again anyway as I do like that game style. Fingers crossed they port some more.

Grid Autosport is also interesting. Again, an old game, but one I've not played and more than happy to see a 'proper' racing game on there instead of the Kart rubbish that keeps showing up, that just isn't my thing.

I like the look of Yoshi's Crafted World, hope the gameplay stands up to the visual style.

Mortal Kombat means I might eventually buy one of these, been meaning to pick up a PS360 version for years.

Hellblade looks good and was well received on other systems.

I think those are all my interesting bits from the Direct, enough to keep me ticking over I think.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 am

Mario Maker 2 will get me to buy a Switch, I'm sue there's some other stuff worth playing as well.
Splink!

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Astral Chain was probably the highlight for me. Also liked the look of the new Castlevania and ofc the new Fire Emblem (although by the looks of things it's going to be some kind of Fire Emblem: Saved by the Bell edition, with all of them in high school? :) )

Also did laugh when the video transferred from cutesy Yoshi, Kirby et al, and the same narrator is then immediately going over 'Dead by Daylight' which features Jason Vorhees chasing after people to murder them :D

Large Bass

Post by Large Bass » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Ape Out has made me realize that I never knew I wanted to play as an ape killing people while Jazz music plays.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 pm

The rumors were true! The Switch is getting VR........

......in the form of a Labo set.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... this_april
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 am

Google cardboard = £1
Switch equivalent = $40 :shock:
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 am
Google cardboard = £1
Switch equivalent = $40 :shock:
In fairness, you do get games, via a game cartridge.

I keep seeing people posting "its XXX for just cardboard" - which it isn't.

Of course, whether its value to you personally, is another matter - especially given a target market of @10 year olds.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 am

I like the concept, but personally I think it's way overpriced. They could be offering the cardboard at a much lower price point with a download. The target market doesn't care about cartridges, and the destructive nature of the cardboard means it can't be a long term object that holds the value they're putting on it.

I get that this is for 'crafting', fair enough. But at $40, they could have a 'premium' product with plastic headsets for those who want it, and the card for those who don't at a lower price point.

I'm interested in trying the VR, but not this way. It's a shame, as the whole Labo thing will put off many of the adults who would throw money at it otherwise.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 am

Labo: a lemonade product at a champagne price.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:26 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 am
I like the concept, but personally I think it's way overpriced. They could be offering the cardboard at a much lower price point with a download. The target market doesn't care about cartridges, and the destructive nature of the cardboard means it can't be a long term object that holds the value they're putting on it.

I get that this is for 'crafting', fair enough. But at $40, they could have a 'premium' product with plastic headsets for those who want it, and the card for those who don't at a lower price point.

I'm interested in trying the VR, but not this way. It's a shame, as the whole Labo thing will put off many of the adults who would throw money at it otherwise.
Don't disagree - its a very clever bit of cardboard, and I have a background in engineering, so like that aspect.

Wasn't the robot suit something like £70?

The VR labo is going to be slimmed down, or so I saw - you can buy the base and add the other bits as seperate kits. That may reduce the cost.

Me? I have no interest in wearing an elephant mask to play a game.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.