Retro Game Repair?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Scorpono

Retro Game Repair?

Post by Scorpono » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 pm

So I am a 17 year old male who is very interested in fixing old consoles. Now I have all the tools that I need to repair and even mod older consoles. My main concern is if there is any profit in doing this. I see old NES' going for $20 - $30 on Ebay and most of the issues I have seen are nothing. They just need a whole teardown and thorough cleaning. I want to mod old Gameboys and even do some physical modding to some older systems if their shells are destroyed.

RetroBob

Re: Retro Game Repair?

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:25 pm

I'm no expert but I'd imagine that this sort of thing starts as hobby first, profit second.

Probably don't buy working units of ebay, you need a cheaper source otherwise you are buying from the same source as your potential customer base (this is the stupid thing about ebay resellers).

You should bear in mind that no one is going to pay 1.5 to 2x the going rate for a refurb console. Maybe consider a mail in service too?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:56 am

Those $20 NES consoles are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy underpriced. Buy those, repair em up and sell em for $100. That's what I'd do, if I were any good at repairing systems.

Damn fascinating stuff. "The 8-Bit Guy" on youtube does MANY videos on old computer repair. Love watching those.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 am

Yes his vids are good. Who is going to pay $100 for a NES?

icemann

Post by icemann » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:28 am

Note that I stating that $100 in Aus dollars. NES consoles go for that much over here, if their in working condition.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:12 am

Please excuse my assumption was for USD.

icemann

Post by icemann » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:20 pm

All good :)

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Its do-able, you need a good low cost parts source though if you do more common stuff like Nintendo and Sega units.

In terms of resale though you need to do your research, private sales are unaffected but business sales can have extra requirements, for instance here in the UK mains powered devices are required to be PAT tested but there is a sneeky you can do by removing the plug (tis how you got around really old appliances that can't pass the test).
You also need to figure out your times, it's no good if a job takes 3 hours and you only make a tiny bit from it, your time is as valuble resource as is your stock.
Watching you sleep since 1990