Nothing to see here

Relive the glory days of gaming and take a walk down Nostalgia Lane via YouTube.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Kell67

Nothing to see here

Post by Kell67 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 am

Please read our forum rules.
You can't promote your own content unless you have 50 plus posts.

Kell67

Re: Nothing to see here

Post by Kell67 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Apologies, I did read the rules and found no mention of the 50 post requirement apart from buying and selling items. No offence was intended.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:53 pm

I've just had a look at your channel (easy to find, since it's the same username and you have a sig link), and there's potentially some good content there, but its a bit all over the place. Having multi part game playthroughs (e.g. Halo Wars) mixed up with the generation challenges and other features lacks coherence. I'm not sure why I'd regularly visit when it's so unfocused. I follow many channels, but usually they hit a particular theme and stick with it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kell67

Post by Kell67 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:19 pm

That's useful feedback. I had thought of it like a TV channel where different content airs on different days but I see where you're coming from.

First and foremost the purpose is to encourage my son to appreciate retro games and perhaps that has led to more diverse content. I may have to rethink.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:23 am

Ah, I get the TV thing. Only problem with that is that it's a model that is dying, people are moving away from scheduled viewing to on demand, where they can watch what they want, when they want. Yes, that's always going to be the case with Youtube, but as a theme I don't think it quite works.

Not having a channel myself, I don't know how it works. Can you have different channels on the same account? You can continue with the content you have, it just wants divvying up a bit, so viewers can follow the things they want. I'm interested in reviews and features, so the volume of playthroughs has no interest to me. Splitting those off into their own area would solve that.

Then again, maybe I#m just not your audience, and there are others who will like your approach.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kell67

Post by Kell67 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:30 am

I'm going to have a look at how I can maybe tidy it up using different playlists. Maybe that can help, thanks again.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:31 am

But theres also the way to advertise your site. Just going on retro forum after retro forum with your first post spamming your youtube channel only isnt good. Most sites have rules about that, same here or we'll be flooded with 1 post 'watch my youtube channel' spammers.

Not a good first impression really, the forums called Retro Gamer due to the magazine so surely a chat about the magazine first etc would help instead of diving in head first with 'watch my channel'

I wish we could delete the youtube channel, just full of people posting solely about their channel and add nothing to the forum

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:44 am

Bad day PSJ?

At least its all in one place and does bring forth the occasional gem, rather than having it all over the other bits of the forum.

If its spamming a channel that brings people here, so be it, it might be their introduction to spending more time here.

1 hit then move on, not so impressive. I'd agree that engaging with potential viewers to draw them in works better in the long run.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:44 am

I'm more amazed that a mod has appeared to edit the first post! I thought the yanks had done a runner!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:32 am

It wasn't Pishy and co, it was Darran who edited the post.