What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:54 am

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:15 pm
Played the Android Lemmings game a week or so ago
Till I ran out of "Energy"
Still waiting on it to refill so I can play it some more

Might just uninstall it s I really cant be arsed with mobile games that do this
No doubt you have the option to shift it along by spending some money? I hate crap like that, too. I once had a pirate game, similar to Overboard!, and it made me wait a week to get the final ship (a Man o' War). Sacked it off pretty quick after that.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:16 am

More than likely, no timer on it anywhere.
It can be refilled with some ingame coin type things
Dont have enough to do so, but I can buy some more...................

The game its self seemed decent,
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:06 pm

Ah the free to play model, gotta love it :lol:

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Playing a bit of Under Defeat on the PS3 and the Dreamcast. 8)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Snk Heroines on the Switch it’s class, even has Skelomania as a playable character.

Snk Classic Ikari Warriors is impossible no continues I can get to those living statues on 1 Credit but just gets impossible after that. Invisible traps that fire hiking missiles, kamikaze Soldiers as well as soldier with screen filling grenades
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 am

Currently playing Assassin's Creed Origins. For a game with "Assassin's Creed" in it's title, I've yet to see a single Assassin in it.

Beyond that it's an excellent game that makes some fairly major changes to gameplay. Far more RPG than prior games. Exploration based side activities are really damn addictive. Often find myself sitting up to the early hours of the morning in that "one more bit" mindset. Good fun so far.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:54 am

Just about to finish up on Yakuza 6. Absolutely superb game, though I'm not really sure why. I mean, 70% of the game is fighting, and the engine is serviceable at best, wonky at worst. Just one of those games where the various different aspects make come together to make something far more enjoyable than you'd expect. Having Super Hang-On, OutRun, Spare Harrier, Puyo Puyo and Virtua Fighter 5 as minigames hardly hurts. I dread to think how much time I've spent on OutRun over Xmas actually, between Yakuza 6 and the Switch version.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm

BFV - I love the series - this is good, however they shouldn't have released it until it was finished.

As my mate put it, by the time its actually finished, I'll have lost interest.

Fair point.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Been playing Elite Dangerous for a couple of years on the Xbox One. Recently got myself a new PC so picked it up in the Steam sale and invested in an Oculus Rift and a Hotas.
Oh.
My.
God.
Genuinely transcends the term 'game', its an experience like nothing I've ever played.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Dead Cells has taken over, even when my last death feels cruel I keep coming back.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Farm Simulator 2019. I just love this game. I find it so relaxing.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm

SPECTRUM
RoboCop
Play It Again, Sam
Barbarian
Knightmare

MEGA DRIVE
Captain America And The Avengers
Judge Dredd
Flicky
Alien 3
Press Play On Tape

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Cursed Castilla EX on PS4. An amazingly good Ghouls 'n' Ghosts rip-off that presents a decent challenge without being quite as frustrating as its inspiration. These guys are also responsible for Super Hydorah, which is an amazingly good Gradius rip-off also as above. Really impressed with both games, anything else these guys put out is a day one buy for me.

Also some Capcom Arcade Cabinet. Still never made it past level 5 of Ghosts 'n' Goblins. Gun.Smoke is excellent, though bloody hard. I think Trojan may be the worst Capcom game of that era I've ever played.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Mainly playing Judge Eyes on the PS4. 4 chapters down and the story has really stepped up. Really great stuff, so nice having a Yakuza ish game that feels a bit more fresh thanks to some gameplay changes. Aside from that I've also been playing New SMB U on the Switch and various Capcom games on the Gameboy (Darkwing Duck, Mega Man III and Bionic Commando). All 3 were ace fun, BC was the most surprising of the bunch as like MMIII its basically a new game based on the NES version except with some much more challenging platform sections. The last level is pretty brutal in that regard, but strangely fun all the same.
BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 pm
Cursed Castilla EX on PS4. An amazingly good Ghouls 'n' Ghosts rip-off that presents a decent challenge without being quite as frustrating as its inspiration. These guys are also responsible for Super Hydorah, which is an amazingly good Gradius rip-off also as above. Really impressed with both games, anything else these guys put out is a day one buy for me.

Also some Capcom Arcade Cabinet. Still never made it past level 5 of Ghosts 'n' Goblins. Gun.Smoke is excellent, though bloody hard. I think Trojan may be the worst Capcom game of that era I've ever played.
Cursed Castilla is an amazing game. I ended up managing to clear that game with the flaming sword (clear levels 4-8 without dying) because I couldn't stop playing it. It feels just like a GnG game but made to be a little more on the fair side. Definitely one of my favourite indie titles of the last few years.

As for the Capcom stuff... Gun Smoke I don't look upon as fondly as the difficulty did it in for me. I much prefer the NES version which is balanced far better, has better bosses and some tweaked gameplay in places that makes it slightly easier without being a pushover. Definitely give that version a try if you can.

As for Trojan, I grew to really enjoy the game but again I found the Famicom version to be a bit better in places. But once I got the bosses/attacks down I could clear both the Famicom and arcade versions pretty handily. For bad Capcom games of the era look no further than Avengers (no Marvel tie in there!), maybe Speed Rumbler (it borders between being bad and being fun. I can never decide which side I'm on, Last Resort, F1 Dream (both the Arcade and PC Engine ports) and Street Fighter (lets face it, the original kinda sucks) in terms of bad arcade games. Console wise though you could expand that out to also include my most hated Capcom game ever - Pro Yakyuu? Satsujin Jiken! Its basically a baseball murder mystery game that is the most dull Capcom game I've ever played (and I've played a whole ton of Capcom games through the decades). Avoid at all costs! What's also strange about this game was that they launched it on Xmas Eve in Japan, the exact same day as they launched Rockman 2 in Japan. Thankfully the better game won there!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

srj672

Post by srj672 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Just got a NES Mini, so on to SMB 1 2 3 and enjoying them all immensely. I've played them all multiple times on emulation, but playing them on proper hardware is great and much more enjoyable without one twitching finger over the save state short cuts. The NES Mini really is a little gem for me.

Also by comparison, Super Mario Advance on a Gameboy Player. I've never really played it before. Apart from the voice samples it's a solid little title, and the tweaks really do make it worth playing SMB2 all over again