What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Shinobi

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Shinobi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Usually in FE games, the tank characters aren't as strong later on but the weaker characters become the uber strong tanks later on if you put the time into levelling them up. Titania was one of my favourite characters in the Gamecube game and she was a real tank at the start of that game too but later on she got killed very easily. Problem with the games that came before the 3DS ones is that you can't replay missions to farm EXP and build your army up properly. Unless I'm misremembering?

I need to play Violent Storm on MAME again. My MAME got all messed up and doesn't recognise any of the roms anymore despite nothing at all being changed since the last time I used it.
That explains a lot with Titania being on the GameCube game, All of the Grail Mercenaries I assume where on the GameCube version?

You play as them later on and they keep talking about the Black Knight coming back from the dead.

You can grind on certain levels you can trap a boss in the corner with the black knight and attack him with the Heroine to level her up(forget her name)

On certain levels you fight an entire legion with the objective to simply survive 10 rounds as they spawn endlessly, so you can level up there. Apart from they always target your flying characters with Archers etc.

Also the levels where you play as the Laguz they can only attack in beast form, but to level up the boss form you need to be damaged. And certain enemies can 1 Hill kill you as they are mostly armed with beast slaying weapons
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:15 am

Ive been playing a bit of Spectrum homebrew recently & it's amazing how far some folk have managed to push the machine.

A bit late to the party (about a decade I believe) but I was playing Batteries not Precluded, really clever idea where it's sort of like Micro Machines...but you're playing against yourself, trying to get your "ghost" vehicles to craah into each other. Lots of fun.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:46 am

Yeah, I've been going over the highlights of 2018 for the Spectrum and there's some absolutely stunning stuff.

Gandalf Deluxe and Old Tower both use impressive tricks to avoid colour clash. The latter has a nice smooth vertical scroll too. People would have gone crazy to see games like those back in the 80s.

There are also great ports of Ninja Gaiden and Mighty Final Fight. In both cases the look is rather more old school, but they play faithfully to the originals.

Oh, and Sqij got a remake too. It's gone from arguably the worst Spectrum game ever (although I could think of a few other good candidates) to a respectable port of the C64 game.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:20 pm

L'Abbaye Des Morts (C64) - I have a review copy
Aviator Arcade II (C64) - great vertical shooter that starts off like Tiger Heli and then goes off in another direction...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Gandalf Deluxe and Old Tower are insane! Had to get them running on the actual hardware through my DivIDE to prove they were capable of running on a real speccy.
Last edited by the_hawk on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:59 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Usually in FE games, the tank characters aren't as strong later on but the weaker characters become the uber strong tanks later on if you put the time into levelling them up. Titania was one of my favourite characters in the Gamecube game and she was a real tank at the start of that game too but later on she got killed very easily. Problem with the games that came before the 3DS ones is that you can't replay missions to farm EXP and build your army up properly. Unless I'm misremembering?

I need to play Violent Storm on MAME again. My MAME got all messed up and doesn't recognise any of the roms anymore despite nothing at all being changed since the last time I used it.
That explains a lot with Titania being on the GameCube game, All of the Grail Mercenaries I assume where on the GameCube version?

You play as them later on and they keep talking about the Black Knight coming back from the dead.

You can grind on certain levels you can trap a boss in the corner with the black knight and attack him with the Heroine to level her up(forget her name)

On certain levels you fight an entire legion with the objective to simply survive 10 rounds as they spawn endlessly, so you can level up there. Apart from they always target your flying characters with Archers etc.

Also the levels where you play as the Laguz they can only attack in beast form, but to level up the boss form you need to be damaged. And certain enemies can 1 Hill kill you as they are mostly armed with beast slaying weapons
Yeah the Wii game is a direct sequel to the Gamecube one. The Greil mercenaries are your army/team in the GC game and I know they added new characters for the sequel's storyline.

I think Black Knight was presumed dead in the first one though he wasn't actually the final boss so I really don't remember unfortunately.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Realised that for some odd reason I'd never played through the new 5th Episode on Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary.
It's a mixed bag, there are a couple of levels with the same superb design as the originals, and a few that rely very heavily on cramped surroundings and monster closets. Still, it's been an absolute to go back and revel in a FPS that isn't just a long corridor with a few alternate corridors sticking out. Just pips Doom 1 & 2 for me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

The new ps plus game 'OnRush'. Has a lot of burnout style mechanics and good fun!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:02 am

Retro Christmas Crackers!!

SPECTRUM
Head Over Heels
Yes, Prime Minister
I, Of The Mask
Flying Shark

MEGA DRIVE
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Comix Zone
Road Rash
Ghouls N' Ghosts

:D 8) :D
Press Play On Tape

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:14 am

There was a Yes Prime Minister game?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:10 pm

There was, and I'm pretty sure it's been featured in Retro Gamer. It's a bit like the Adrian Mole game, a sort of chose your own adventure type thing. With politics.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Ought to be tackling my hefty Wii/DS/3DS/Wii U/Switch backlog, but find myself re-playing Starfox Adventures on the Gamecube. Still a pretty game.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
[url]viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823[/url

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes, Prime Minister was indeed on the Speccy and it's one of my all time favourite games.

Much like the Adrian Mole titles, you can either try and make Jim Hacker do the right thing or you can make all the wrong decisions and muck it all up. There is also Hacker's approval rating to consider, another similarity to Adrian Mole's popularity level.

A great game, well worth a play if you haven't come across it already...
Press Play On Tape

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Dead Cells. Had my reservations before playing but I have to say i'm really enjoying it so far.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
[url]viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823[/url

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Played the Android Lemmings game a week or so ago
Till I ran out of "Energy"
Still waiting on it to refill so I can play it some more

Might just uninstall it s I really cant be arsed with mobile games that do this
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday