Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 am

Treguard wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:37 pm
Wasn't Trial of Champions essentially Deathtrap Dungeon with some gladiatorial trials before hand? Did I remember that correctly?
Pretty much, but most Ian Livingstone books are essentially the same dungeon crawl, even when they're above ground. So many T-junctions, even in Forest of Doom...
I was thinking more in the literal sense. I strongly recall recognising characters & locations in ToC from DD, though (as usual) I'm probably very wrong.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:28 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 am
Treguard wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:37 pm
Wasn't Trial of Champions essentially Deathtrap Dungeon with some gladiatorial trials before hand? Did I remember that correctly?
Pretty much, but most Ian Livingstone books are essentially the same dungeon crawl, even when they're above ground. So many T-junctions, even in Forest of Doom...
I was thinking more in the literal sense. I strongly recall recognising characters & locations in ToC from DD, though (as usual) I'm probably very wrong.
Yeah, it's set in the same Dungeon, but completely redesigned. The premise is that you've been captured by Lord Carnassus and forced to undertake the 'Trial of Champions' on his behalf (if you make it through the arena) so he can get one over on his brother, Baron Sukumvit who designed the dungeon. This was actually my first Fighting Fantasy book back in the day.

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 am

Give me Lone Wolf any day of the week over Fighting Fantasy. That said, the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks are excellent don't me wrong. But your always some one different, and in most cases in a different universe per book.

In Lone Wolf in comparison, your the same person from book to book, continuing the story with each one + advancing your character in true RPG fashion. I've never experienced anything in book form that is as awesome as the Lone Wolf books.

Quite sad that Joe Dever (creator of Lone Wolf) passed away a year ago. We may never get those final 2 gamebooks remaining. Storms of Chai only came out the year prior.
Last edited by icemann on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 am

Nah i'm the opposite. Fighting Fantasy to me were the best books around, started it all off until the copycat ones appeared.

Dont get me wrong Lone Wolf is decent (Remember there was also a Ninja series around back then ? Avenger i think ?) but i love all those books, specially the early FF ones.

The Sorcery series sounds similar to what you're talking about, series of 4 books (some huge) and you're the same character going on this massssive journey. Amazing books for its time

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 am

Lone Wolf is 29 books strong though :p.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Yeah I think I prefered the standalone nature of the FF books too.