New PS2 Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Crazy88

New PS2 Games

Post by Crazy88 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:07 am

I've picked up a few "New/Sealed" PS2 games on Ebay that have me puzzled. These games do appear to be new, but they aren't exactly like most PS2 games.

The first one I got was Auto Modellista. It had the same look and feel as I expected for a PS2 game that had never been opened. Under the cellophane there was also that sticker strip across the top of the case similar to what new CDs and jewel case games came with.

BUT, a few others I bought are not the same. Both "Mega Man X Collection" and "Capcom Classics Collection" felt unusually light. The plastic wrap felt somehow cheaper than it should. I opened both of these games and the case has a lighter, cheaper feel to it and the main red flag": the manual is not a booklet, just a single piece of paper with a fold. The front and back look correct, but inside is just all the "fine print" you usually see in the front or back of a manual. No instructions at all.

I knew something was up when I got Capcom Classics Collection. I already had Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 that I've had for years. Vol. 2 has a normal manual - over 25 pages. I find it odd that the second one would have a big manual and the first wouldn't.

So, what are these games exactly? I know these are not original print games that have just sat unopened for 13 years. Is there a company out there that has the right to keep stamping these things out or what? It's getting to a point where I'd pay more for a used game over all these "New" Ebay games.

Megamixer

Re: New PS2 Games

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Did they have the silver Sony seal sticker thing on the case? Also, the tear strips used to have the 'PS2' logo on them though I'm not sure every release did (depending on publisher/distributor).

I don't think publishers "sell" the rights for somebody else to reprint their games but it HAS been known for the original publishers themselves to push out reprints that go beneath the radar. Konami for example reprinted the Zone of the Enders and Neo Contra (amongst others) on PS2 and Square re-printed some Final Fantasy games. Crucially, the FF games were reprinted as original black label releases despite the fact that Platinums had come out beforehand.

So it does happen.

Another way to tell if the game is a potential later reprint is to look at the ratings logo. PEGI used to be black-and-white then later switched to the traffic light system that we have today. The Konami PS2 reprints can be told apart from the originals this way for example.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Crazy88

Post by Crazy88 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 am

Megamixer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Another way to tell if the game is a potential later reprint is to look at the ratings logo. PEGI used to be black-and-white then later switched to the traffic light system that we have today. The Konami PS2 reprints can be told apart from the originals this way for example.
The rating logo is black and white, it looks just like the one on my copy of Black Ops 4, so I don't know if that means anything.

I asked the Ebay seller what the deal was. They said they buy these games from Capcom, that they use a cheaper case and minimized manual. I don't know exactly how old these games are, but they are not from the original run.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Crazy88 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 am
Megamixer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:51 pm

The rating logo is black and white, it looks just like the one on my copy of Black Ops 4, so I don't know if that means anything.

I asked the Ebay seller what the deal was. They said they buy these games from Capcom, that they use a cheaper case and minimized manual. I don't know exactly how old these games are, but they are not from the original run.
Forgot to ask: are you from the UK or the US? The ratings logos changing to a coloured system was a UK PEGI thing. I just assumed you were from the UK which could be my bad. Obviously US ESRB ratings have always been B&W so not possible to tell a game's age from those.

I did look around on the internet for reprinted PS2 games in general and it seems more prevalent in the US. I saw an article from 2017 that said the PS2 Yakuza games were being reprinted by Sega. Reprints like this will certainly be done on the cheap so the cases will be colour-coded but not necessarily the OG styles with the memory card holders etc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 pm

blatant copies by the sound of it more like

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:23 am

Or second hand games being resealed in replacement cases maybe?