Toki Remake - Switch

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
rocky1980
Posts: 3303
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Toki Remake - Switch

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:19 pm

So the Toki remake is out today for the switch. Comes in a nice bit box. I had forgotten I had pre ordered it until it turned up at the door today. Anyone else getting it
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by The Laird » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Just in time for the latest issue of RG :mrgreen:

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26595
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Never liked the original, so I'll be passing on this one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3631
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by kiwimike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 pm

Don't have a switch, so I'm irrelevant really. But these remakes and older games coming out on switch is quite interesting. The system lends itself well to older games on the tablet screen especially though.

I liked the Lynx Toki . Aside from that, played the MAME version and that's about it

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11082
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:14 am

Should have my copy arrive in a couple of days. Really looking forward to it, loved the Amiga port back in the day.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:52 am

kiwimike wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 pm
Don't have a switch, so I'm irrelevant really. But these remakes and older games coming out on switch is quite interesting. The system lends itself well to older games on the tablet screen especially though.

I liked the Lynx Toki . Aside from that, played the MAME version and that's about it
The Switch port was actually made by the same people who did the Atari ST conversion back in the day!

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 am

The Laird wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:52 am
kiwimike wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 pm
Don't have a switch, so I'm irrelevant really. But these remakes and older games coming out on switch is quite interesting. The system lends itself well to older games on the tablet screen especially though.

I liked the Lynx Toki . Aside from that, played the MAME version and that's about it
The Switch port was actually made by the same people who did the Atari ST conversion back in the day!
I hope it's better than the ST version then! :shock:

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:41 pm

Well . . . .

1. It's a remake of the arcade game.
2. The ST version is widely considered to be an excellent port.
3. Early reviews suggest the Switch version is good too.

So that's a bit of a strange comment to make.

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:45 pm

It was an ok port on a machine that struggled with scrolling - so the reduced size screen was an annoyance. As for the Lynx version....... :shock:

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:06 pm

It's not that any version was bad (the C64 version was excellent as the only 8 bit) but the ST version struggled with lots going on, less colour used than the Amiga along with smaller playing area to help with the scrolling problem. The Amiga was without doubt the best version though.

The Lynx, although a very good version was let down by low res graphics and dodgy frame rate.

As for any other 8 bit versions, it was a shame none ever got released and only fake screenshots were produced :(

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Amiga version is good, but the Lynx version was undoubtedly my favourite from the ones I played.

I got rid of my Switch so I am hoping the remake also comes to Xbox One.

User avatar
batman877
Posts: 1577
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by batman877 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Definitely want this... but £35-£40 for a physical copy? Ouch. I know it's a 'collector's edition' but it just feels like a rip-off compared to other similar remakes/updates such as Sonic Mania (£20-£25) for example. I suppose Flashback collector's edition was £35-£40 too, but that soon came down to £25... maybe I'll wait a couple of months.
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6734
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:51 am

batman877 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm
Definitely want this... but £35-£40 for a physical copy? Ouch. I know it's a 'collector's edition' but it just feels like a rip-off compared to other similar remakes/updates such as Sonic Mania (£20-£25) for example. I suppose Flashback collector's edition was £35-£40 too, but that soon came down to £25... maybe I'll wait a couple of months.
I'd agree with that. It's also a shame that you can't switch between the new and original graphics like you could with Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap.
Image

User avatar
rocky1980
Posts: 3303
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 am

I was surprised when this came in the post to be honest. The remake has been in the works for years , however it looked like that was a died project that was going to be on steam

Definitely want this... but £35-£40 for a physical copy? Ouch.
As far as I can tell, there is not eshop version or non collectors edition yet. That is very strange.

It's also a shame that you can't switch between the new and original graphics
Thats a disappointment for me also
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7507
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Toki Remake - Switch

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:08 am

I watched my friend Ex Mosquito 1 credit this, lot of leaps of faith and enemies appearing on top of you.

I’m still tempted to buy this when I have the money.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andy Dale and 2 guests