Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm GMT every Sunday

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on Discord 9pm Sunday November 18th

Post by Spector » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Katzkatz has had a little problem with that too, so for that reason I'm still looking at this as an experiment. I'm not totally convinced we should stay on it yet.

For week two of the Discord experiment. I've put the link in my signature for this new chatroom location, so just click it and see what happens. The hot topic is the following:

Was the Atari ST little more than a poor man's Amiga??

Anybody can come in and argue their case. Especially laird who I know is a big ST fan. I want to hear a counter argument from someone. What I've heard is that a lot of ST games in particular look much better in stills than in motion, and that the experience of playing them with the tinny AY sound can be a little underwhelming. Though apparently Final Fight was better on the machine than on the Amiga. I'm wondering how that could be, but that's what I've heard.

Anyway, use the link in my signature from 9pm Sunday and I'll be there around that time. Go on. Try it. I IMPLORE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Final Fight definitely isn't better on the ST.

All 3D games are though thanks to the ST's faster CPU and screen drawing.

I can't make it anyway but have fun

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:45 pm

At least we know Halycon Daze thinks the St Final Fight is better and all the Atari ST games are crap.

Funny how everything Laird likes H Daze thinks is garbage
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:45 pm
At least we know Halycon Daze thinks the St Final Fight is better and all the Atari ST games are crap.

I actually caught him out on this a few times by saying the opposite of my views just to see if he disagreed, and of course he did. At which point I then quoted a previous post of his that totally contradicted it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:17 pm

The Laird wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:52 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:45 pm

I actually caught him out on this a few times by saying the opposite of my views just to see if he disagreed, and of course he did. At which point I then quoted a previous post of his that totally contradicted it :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is quite funny I admit :mrgreen:

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on the IRC channel - join in at 9pm Sunday November 25th

Post by Spector » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:35 pm

We are back on the regular IRC channel again. The link is in the signature, so try that one for now! It's in BIG BLUE TYPE!

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on the IRC channel - join in at 9pm Sunday December 2nd

Post by Spector » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:31 am

Hi Guys! :D My name is Buck Bullshit and this week I’m guest hosting the IRC community channel in place of Spector. He has kindly empowered me to facilitate your entrances to the IRC interpolation this weekend. I have a long history of legacy communications in the retro domain, starting with the Atari in 1977 and moving on to the Colecovision, Intellivision and Apple until when gaming really began in 1986 with Nintendo! Yup! Salutations to my new family! :D

I’m here to help you, and to emancipate you from digital bondage. Folks, together we can enlighten the resource! Here’s a few answers to your truth-discoverers, or questions as some people still call them:

Q.Will the IRC channel still be using the mibbit server for the time being?
A. So, we are always looking at ways to develop the community, and these may include permanent emigration to Discord or another communication sphere. For now we trust Mibbit, but stay tuned to see if there is a determination of this amnesty!

Q. What subjects can we discuss on the IRC channel?
A. So, any subjects are welcome as long as they do not extrapolate the intensity of the infraction!!

Q. Is there a policy on usernames when we join or can we use whatever name we want?
A. So, we value brand inclusion, and we consider our user clients to be individual brands worth cultivating, but we endorse callsign distortion if it curbs an exodus of clients leading to the IRC losing what constitutes its quorum!!!

Q. Why do you always answer questions starting with the word “So” when it makes no grammatical sense whatsoever and is really self-conscious?
A. So, my boss started doing it, and because in America we have a money culture, if your boss does something, you do it too without asking questions. After all, it’s money that matters!!!

See you Sunday at 9pm where we can synchronize our synergies and maximize our paradigm KPI’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:30 am

Spector wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:31 am
Hi Guys! :D My name is Buck Bullshit and this week I’m guest hosting the IRC community channel in place of Spector. He has kindly empowered me to facilitate your entrances to the IRC interpolation this weekend. I have a long history of legacy communications in the retro domain, starting with the Atari in 1977 and moving on to the Colecovision, Intellivision and Apple until when gaming really began in 1986 with Nintendo! Yup! Salutations to my new family! :D

I’m here to help you, and to emancipate you from digital bondage. Folks, together we can enlighten the resource! Here’s a few answers to your truth-discoverers, or questions as some people still call them:

Q.Will the IRC channel still be using the mibbit server for the time being?
A. So, we are always looking at ways to develop the community, and these may include permanent emigration to Discord or another communication sphere. For now we trust Mibbit, but stay tuned to see if there is a determination of this amnesty!

Q. What subjects can we discuss on the IRC channel?
A. So, any subjects are welcome as long as they do not extrapolate the intensity of the infraction!!

Q. Is there a policy on usernames when we join or can we use whatever name we want?
A. So, we value brand inclusion, and we consider our user clients to be individual brands worth cultivating, but we endorse callsign distortion if it curbs an exodus of clients leading to the IRC losing what constitutes its quorum!!!

Q. Why do you always answer questions starting with the word “So” when it makes no grammatical sense whatsoever and is really self-conscious?
A. So, my boss started doing it, and because in America we have a money culture, if your boss does something, you do it too without asking questions. After all, it’s money that matters!!!

See you Sunday at 9pm where we can synchronize our synergies and maximize our paradigm KPI’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
OMG! Brilliant, you sound like MrKnobCheese - the new community comedy show leader!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 am

I've just started using Discord for a couple of communities and it's very good. Works very well on mobiles especially.

If the RG chat moved to Discord I would certainly be more inclined to join in.

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on the IRC channel - join in at 4pm EST (9pm GMT) Sunday December 9th

Post by Spector » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 am

The Laird wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 am
I've just started using Discord for a couple of communities and it's very good. Works very well on mobiles especially.
If the RG chat moved to Discord I would certainly be more inclined to join in.
It's likely we'll move to Discord quite soon... once Katzkatz gets his new mobile sorted out!! For now, we stay on the ageing IRC format.

And don't worry folks - I know some of you have been concerned at the hints of a more America-centric and corporate approach to this forum. Whatever happens, I guarantee you this chat will continue just as before.

For this week then, with Joe Pishgar taking us back with his brilliant Nintendo advert, I also want to go back thirty years ago and remember what was happening in the World Series. Los Angeles Dodgers had benefited from the amazing arm of Orel Hershiser who had ended the regular season with a record-breaking fifty-nine consecutive scoreless innings as well as one win and one save in the National League Championship Series.

Oakland boasted their own ace in Dave Stewart who had won twenty-one games during the A's quest for the American League pennant, and the A's held a slight advantage at the plate after assembling the "Dynamic Duo" of Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire who combined for seventy-four home runs and two-hundred twenty-three runs batted in during the regular season. Benefiting from the American League ballpark rule that allowed for a DH on both sides, Mike Davis drilled a two-run homer in the fourth en route to a 5-2 Dodger victory that wrapped up their seventh championship and sixth World Series crown.

I bet that brought back some memories! This leads to this weekend's Hot Topic:
What was your favorite retro Baseball game??

There was R.B.I. Baseball and Bases Loaded on NES. Tecmo Baseball wasn't too bad on NES as well. I never actually played any Baseball games on Turbografx, as my friends had Nintendo, and we all upgraded in 89 to Genesis or SNES. Sports Talk Baseball in '92 on Genesis was totally boss. But what are your favorites? Let us know tonight from 4pm EST (or 9pm GMT) and we'll talk some more. The link to join is in my signature. Bring some pizza with you - cowabunga!!!!!!!!! :D

Antiriad2097

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on the IRC channel - join in at 4pm EST (9pm GMT) Sunday December 9th

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:26 pm

I hope someone mentioned World Series Baseball on the Spectrum.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:26 pm
I hope someone mentioned World Series Baseball on the Spectrum.
The Spectrum? What's that, dude??

Actually you're right. World Series Baseball is the only game in the genre I ever enjoyed.

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on the IRC channel - join in at 4pm EST (9pm GMT) Sunday December 16th

Post by Spector » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 am

Hi folks :) What a turbulent week it has been for the United Kingdom and our dear Prime Minister, Theresa May. Or May-not, as some have cruelly now dubbed her. It reached a nadir with her lip-read argument with Jean-Claude Juncker, where she appeared to accuse the EU leader of calling her “Nebulous”. However, a tape transcript has revealed what actually was said between the two:

May: Mr Juncker, did you call me ‘Nebulous??”
Juncker: Excusez-moi?
May: You called me ‘Nebulous’, didn’t you?
Juncker: Non, ce n’est pas vrai!
May: But I heard you, and I’m not going to let this go as I’m a ‘bloody difficult woman!’
Juncker: Non, tu es mistaken. Actuallment, je said que je n’aime pas “Nebulus”, le 8 bit computer game de 1987!!
May: But ‘Nebulus’ is a classic! I loved it on the Commodore 64!
Juncker: Oui, Oui, c’est tres bon en le Comode, mais je played it on el Amstrad CPC464, et c’est merde!!
May: But why play the Amstrad version? We all know Amstrad is sh1t?!?
Juncker: Oui, mais en le France et Luxembourg, Amstrad was tres tres popular.
May: That’s no excuse to descend into playing a machine which is the spawn of Sugar.
Juncker: Tu es un anti-semite!! N’est pas acceptable!!
May: No, I am an anti-Sugarite. Or indeed anti-Sh1te! Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!
Juncker: Ha ha ha! Tres bon! You British with your sense of humour!!!!!!

So we can see in fact the conversation was not as heated as some are making out. I am convinced the Brexit process will continue to be a successful as it has been so far ie. not at all, and I will make the process the inspiration for this weekend’s Hot Topic which is:

Have you ever had a negative view on a Retrogame then changed your mind and held the opposite view later on after looking at it more closely?

This has happened to me recently with Buggy Boy by Elite for the Spectrum. I thought it was a slow, clumsy mess of a conversion, but having played it again a few times, while it’s still a bit slow, it does have its own playability and is genuinely fun to come back to again and again.

But what about everyone else? What games have you changed your mind about and realised you were wrong to want to remove? Let us know from 9pm Sunday on the link below. I’ll be there with katzkatz and perhaps a few mystery guests too. Oh, wait, that’s the doorbell. Mr Hammond the plumber has arrived to fix my toilet: he’s come over to help ‘flush out the extremists’!! :lol: :lol: :lol: See you Sunday 9pm!!!!!!! :)
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on the IRC channel - join in at 4pm EST (9pm GMT) Sunday December 23rd

Post by Spector » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:24 pm

The week before Christmas and I don't know what the topic should be. Your favourite/or worst retro christmas present seems simple enough. For me it was the Spectrum 128 in 1986 with the Gameboy bringing back good memories too in 1990. I never really got a videogaming present that absolutely stunk but there's a few Amstrad fans on here, so why not join us and tell us about your ordeal!! :D

So from tonight 9pm onwards, click on the huge link in my signature, follow the instructions and before you know it you'll be talking about the roland series!! :)