Magazine Quality - Latest issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

thegamesnotoveryet

Re: Magazine Quality - Latest issue

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:05 pm

SpecTrePaul wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:02 pm
@Darren, thanks for the email address. I will address my issue there.
Jesus, would you like the next issue delivered by a first class chef, with a meal consisting of lobster & the finest caviar known to man.
You two are the type of snobs who examine the magazine with a microscope. "Oh look darling, there's a 0.0002mm smear on the left side of Mario's cheek if you look hard enough with the microscope, I better leave another negative review as this isn't perfection at all. I hope Retro Gamer is destroyed for this!!!"

Why is it that in all my years of being a subscriber and thousands of others like me, We have never seen smears and tiny tears, etc etc. Its because we don't bloody examine every page expecting perfection. We just get on with reading it and then anticipate the next issue! This is why Darren can't be bothered talking to you because you are what I like to call a fussy client. In my line of work, fussy clients who expect nothing but perfection are killing the fun and enjoyment of what I do and I bet Darren feels the same about you. The bloody iphone, ipad and imac have a-lot to answer for as they have created the fussy generation who expect everything to look as well crafted as their appliances. Hello, they were created by machines, not hand-crafted!!
Question, does this make the magazine more collectable? :)

There are many more smudges to the magazine print but just thought I would show a couple as obviously some people can't read the post correctly and would prefer pictures. Maybe this is why you can't notice any quality issues? If you can't read this forum post, maybe you can't read the magazine?

Thanks.
Sadly, the same advice I gave in regards to getting help from Future or RG staff applies to the "kool-aid" crowd around here as well. And that advice is your not going to get any help here, period, so just move on. I've been a collector of this magazine since year 2-3, so thats been a very long time, and I only came to this forum in the last year or two when Future took over, and things started to go to ****! This is a thread for "magazine quality", so why would anyone be here not looking to discuss quality issues? I'm sorry so many here find a problem with a paying customer of over a decade is looking to end said publication. I guess all the people who had issues taking months to arrive should just stop watching the calendar, as it will arrive when it arrives, and how dare you voice a negative opinion on that.

When I recommended leaving a negative review, it was to get your opinion heard by someone who may actually take it to heart and try to address it, or at least try to make it right in some way. I didn't get to that point over night, as I've gone to the proper channels many times, only to get ZERO help. So when I was asked by Future to leave my feedback, I did so and stated nothing but the truth as it appeared to me. So I left one negative comment, and one negative follow up after hundreds of issues, many of which have had problems. Be it print problems, lateness and damages, and I only ever left a negative comment about an order I made that wasn't even RG related. So if any negative comments are pointed my way, feel free, as I'm gonna help out paying customers with advice I find helpful if others like it or not.

Forums like this are to discuss the positive, as well as the negative and as seen just recently, staff can arrive to police statements, but can't do the same for paying customers having problems. That tells me who and what are visiting these forums, and it's not anyone looking to help. That email address provided sends you to the same CS who can't say why issues are missing for months, so how or why would they be able to fix a quality control problem?

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 pm

@Darren, I felt it needed a response in the manner that would be understood. The point needed making and hopefully that is the end of it. I have sent an email to the one provided and will see what happens.
This is a thread for "magazine quality", so why would anyone be here not looking to discuss quality issues? I'm sorry so many here find a problem with a paying customer of over a decade is looking to end said publication. I guess all the people who had issues taking months to arrive should just stop watching the calendar, as it will arrive when it arrives, and how dare you voice a negative opinion on that.

Again, thank you and exactly my point. I thought a forum thread was to discuss the topic in the title. I had a few problems so I thought I would try and get some advice and see if anyone else was having the same problem.

Anyway will see what happens from the email sent and what the next issue will be like.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:32 pm

I apologize Paul, I was in a foul mood that day and I shouldn't had taken it out on you or anyone on the internet.. You have legitimate complaints, but my post was really just directed at those who do make a fuss over a small tear or something like that. But again, I could have been much, much more civilized and certainly polite like the middle age farts we ubiquitously are on the forum. In all my time as a subscriber to 6 magazines from future, I have encountered nothing but perfectly printed paper with the odd small tear at the top or bottom of the spine which has never bothered me. Its funny as the postman always bends just one of 8 magazines I subscribe to which is Australia's Game Informer. He always handles the Future's publications like his own children. Anyway, if your magazine arrives with alarming damage, show the damage to Future's support and ask them to please send a replacement. I have had 2 magazines that never arrived and Future was happy to send me another free of charge. They understand that bad damage is cause for a replacement. They do take up to 3 days to respond to each inquiry though as they get flooded with emails as they have taken over so many magazines now and sadly killed some off. I'm going to miss Games tm. I'm thinking about jumping on ebay and tracking down all the earlier mags they released. Next to Retro Gamer, it really lifted my mood when a copy of Games tm arrived. Sometimes I think it should have been EDGE that got the axe. I like EDGE but they can be very pompous sometimes and come across as forced with the use of intellectual English just showing off their supposed superiority & mega intelligence.

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:05 pm

I apologize Paul, I was in a foul mood that day and I shouldn't had taken it out on you or anyone on the internet.. You have legitimate complaints, but my post was really just directed at those who do make a fuss over a small tear or something like that. But again, I could have been much, much more civilized and certainly polite like the middle age farts we ubiquitously are on the forum. In all my time as a subscriber to 6 magazines from future, I have encountered nothing but perfectly printed paper with the odd small tear at the top or bottom of the spine which has never bothered me. Its funny as the postman always bends just one of 8 magazines I subscribe to which is Australia's Game Informer. He always handles the Future's publications like his own children. Anyway, if your magazine arrives with alarming damage, show the damage to Future's support and ask them to please send a replacement. I have had 2 magazines that never arrived and Future was happy to send me another free of charge. They understand that bad damage is cause for a replacement. They do take up to 3 days to respond to each inquiry though as they get flooded with emails as they have taken over so many magazines now and sadly killed some off. I'm going to miss Games tm. I'm thinking about jumping on ebay and tracking down all the earlier mags they released. Next to Retro Gamer, it really lifted my mood when a copy of Games tm arrived. Sometimes I think it should have been EDGE that got the axe. I like EDGE but they can be very pompous sometimes and come across as forced with the use of intellectual English just showing off their supposed superiority & mega intelligence.
Accepted and likewise for my reply, was a bit miffed when saw your post and saw red mist. Anyway I have sent an email so like I said will see what happens. Like you I accept and expect slight damage with a magazine coming through the post, just last 2 mags as mentioned a bit more than this.
I really would like the thicker paper back though just so it will make the magazine last longer for collecting.

Anyway, yes I agree with you with regard to Games tm magazine, I am sad to see it end. The Bookkazines were always good and I have a few of these but will have to track more down on Ebay now. Also with you on Edge too and would much prefer Games tm than that.
It's a shame that a lot of magazines are now going, don't know whether it is the digital age or not but being an old fart too and a bit of a retro geek I can't get used to reading a magazine on the tablet device and much prefer a paper copy to read through.

I also develop apps, games and have just come across a new magazine called Wireframe which is all about Indie devs and lifting the lid on it all with games. Just subscribed to 12 issues for £12! as they have an offer on, although not sure how much it would be to your neck of the woods. First issue was promising so will see how it pans out. It is every 2 weeks though rather than monthly and made by the Raspberry Pi organisation. If you want to get a taste of it then the PDF versions are legally free on their website.

https://wireframe.raspberrypi.org

This is also another reason why I purchase Retro Gamer and constantly re-read old copies as there is a wealth of game ideas for new game development. Fancy graphics on Xbox One etc can't beat good old gameplay and with all the new indie stuff coming out showing this, especially on the Switch it doe's go to show.

Oh well, no hard feelings and look forward to trying to pip you on Ebay winning those back issues, so get in quick ;)

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm

HAhA!! You're lucky as I would have to pay a fortune for delivery so most of them are good pickings for you as you're a local and all. :-)
I agree with you about the paper. Out of curiosity, I went into my dungeon to feel the paper of a very early issue and its like silk!! Only one other magazine I collect feels super smooth and that's Rock Sound which is an indie mag now. Unfortunately the magazine has gone to censored, it was so much better about 6 years ago.

Oh and I absolutely refuse to switch to digital subs. Like you I love the wonderful smell and wonder of a new copy of Retro Gamer. I reckon Retro Gamer should not reveal before-hand what's in the next issue. The suspense and wonder would help me cope with my super-stressful job. Being the boss is killing me. Firing people gives me so much guilt when they plea and cry. The last sub-contractor scratched all the side of my car but I decided not to take it further as he has major financial problems as it is due to what I suspect is a drug habit. And then I have to deal with a frustrated and stressed out client because he did a shitty job. Then I lose about $4000 fixing it all and making sure the customer is happy so he/she doesn't leave a negative review.

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Sounds like you have your work cut out! Good to have Retro Gamer to relax to though :)
Good idea not showing what is in the next issue, be a surprise when it hits the door mat.

Yes the only thing that worries me with all these mags going, especially like Games Master and Games which I would have thought would be a no brainer to keep, is when little things like cheaper paper etc start as I wonder if it's on it's way out too!!!!

Fingers crossed anyway we will have Retro Gamer for many years to come :)

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:47 am

I just hope there are thousands who feel the same way like us about loving paper over digital. I just can't imagine sitting down with a kindle. I stare enough as it is at screens, I think it is why I find a magazine to be so relaxing. I love reading on my bed with a pillow against the wall to support my back and comfort. Nothing like reading magazines before bed-time, so relaxing and calming. Darren, if you are reading this, more playstation-2 coverage if possible as that was my favorite gaming era. :D
Suikoden 5 and Dragon's Quest 8 are absolutely amazing games. I shed tears twice playing Suikoden 5 and the sound-track during those emotional moments was so unbelievably brilliant!

ps Paul - Is that you in the photo or Glen Hansard my favourite singer?

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Yeah, it's physical or bust for me as well, as reading stuff digital is cool and all, as being able to enlarge text is a Godsend, especially for old eyes like my own :wink: Having said publications in my hands, to flip through and collect, is a childhood practice that defines me and I have no plans to give up. I probably should start to consider it at least, as my home is becoming overrun with books/magazines. But to hell with that, it just means I need to buy a bigger home :lol:

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Glen Hansard
Haha 😂😂😂
That gave me a laugh for a bit.

Yes I love the paper copy and have loads of them I keep in a big wooden chest. I recently totted up how much they all were and it was about £1500! The Mrs wasn’t best pleased but it keeps me happy 😁

As for my favourite systems, I am all for ZX Spectrum, C64 and Amiga. Then it’s onto the Master System and NES 👍🏻

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:46 am

thegamesnotoveryet - I have about 3 rooms filled with my stuff, LOL! Sometimes I get sad over how much I have spent over the years but then I get happy over how much fun they have brought into my life.

Paul : Did you ever play Psycho Fox back in the day? I used to rent that one out all the time and wished I was able to afford it. It sucked being a 4th grade nothing at times ;-)
Actually renting back in the day was great as most games back then could be finished in a couple of hours anyway. My skills at most games were amazingly good except for tough nuts like Power Strike 1 & 2, Shinobi, Cloud Master etc etc etc. Now-a-days I can barely get past the first level of Sonic! (Megadrive)

Oh and don't worry about the cost of things. Look at it this way, we don't live long anyway so we may as well have as much fun as possible. I once blew $10,000 in a night ( And I'm only middle-class) glued to i-tunes, buying up albums from the likes of Tool, Def Leppard, Slipknot, Korn, Manic Street Preachers, Interpol, etc etc. I love all genres of music except for commercial pop, jazz, country & western, classical, most rap. ( but rap metal can blow my mind some-times)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 pm

thegamesnotoveryet wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:58 pm
Yeah, it's physical or bust for me as well, as reading stuff digital is cool and all, as being able to enlarge text is a Godsend, especially for old eyes like my own :wink: Having said publications in my hands, to flip through and collect, is a childhood practice that defines me and I have no plans to give up. I probably should start to consider it at least, as my home is becoming overrun with books/magazines. But to hell with that, it just means I need to buy a bigger home :lol:

Yeah, I adore the physical media, yet have had to concede sometimes an alternative is needed. You just end up with so much piled up unless you have a storage container you need to cull it a bit. Both game hardware/software and books/mags I've had to knock back. It just gets too cluttered and overwhelming. I'm not a hardcore collector by any stretch so it just took a bit of culling the hoarding tendencies to just cut back! :lol:

Rather than sell a few systems, I donated to a tech museum. It made me happy to think families can go along and enjoy these old machines, rather than getting a few bucks and a collecting locking them away. They are meant to be enjoyed, and entertaining.

So, kept the favourite books and mags, have a few magazine runs on DVD with scans to limit space, and opted for emulators for old machines when I feel like some game history. Won't work for everyone but does for me :)

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:29 pm

Only played Pyscho Fox a few times as my mate had that. Didn't own it myself. From what I can remember though, it was a pretty good little platform.
$10,000 in a night on iTunes is a lot, think of all the mags you could get for that :D

Hey good your systems got a good home, good they are put to good use. A lot of people now are picking them up on Ebay then ripping the insides out to make a glorified modded PC. Shocking!

I also have an emulation system these days for retro gaming. It's the Xbox original with Coinops installed on it. Nice way of to play all on one system. Still have some of the computers though and thinking of getting some of the new console mini's that have been coming out with pre-installed games on them.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:07 am

SpecTrePaul wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:29 pm
Only played Pyscho Fox a few times as my mate had that. Didn't own it myself. From what I can remember though, it was a pretty good little platform.
$10,000 in a night on iTunes is a lot, think of all the mags you could get for that :D

Hey good your systems got a good home, good they are put to good use. A lot of people now are picking them up on Ebay then ripping the insides out to make a glorified modded PC. Shocking!

I also have an emulation system these days for retro gaming. It's the Xbox original with Coinops installed on it. Nice way of to play all on one system. Still have some of the computers though and thinking of getting some of the new console mini's that have been coming out with pre-installed games on them.
Yeah think I have the same, original xbox with plenty of game history installed, a good way to have it in a small space. And have the mini Nintendos. Would be happy with other mini systems if they are up to scratch :)

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:39 pm

So I got a reply from the email and it is as follows:

1 - The ink smears is a known problem and they have no magazines available to send a new one out without a smear on the pages somewhere.
2 - The cut to the spine of my other magazine could have been done on the printing machines and they are sending me a new issue out.
3 - Regards paper quality, they get batches of paper in varying quality so without checking the magazines themselves they wouldn't know.

Because they can't send me a new issue out for the ink smears they are extending my subscription by 2 months.

So I am happy with this and hoping paper batches are better quality for the next run.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:00 pm

SpecTrePaul wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:39 pm
So I got a reply from the email and it is as follows:

1 - The ink smears is a known problem and they have no magazines available to send a new one out without a smear on the pages somewhere.
2 - The cut to the spine of my other magazine could have been done on the printing machines and they are sending me a new issue out.
3 - Regards paper quality, they get batches of paper in varying quality so without checking the magazines themselves they wouldn't know.

Because they can't send me a new issue out for the ink smears they are extending my subscription by 2 months.

So I am happy with this and hoping paper batches are better quality for the next run.
Well I'll be damned, that's about the most detail reply I have ever seen from the standard customer service, EVER! LOL

So maybe they are now taking issues and problems more seriously, as normally the reply may not even answer a single question asked, or at least that has been the case for me after having contacted them several times over the last 1-2 years. I'm glad to see you got some form of help that was to your satisfaction, as that's the most important thing.