Emuparadise Shuts Up Shop

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

icemann

Re: Emuparadise Shuts Up Shop

Post by icemann » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:24 pm

I've always preferred Golden Axe Warrior to Zelda 1, so meh. Yes I know GAW is a clone of Zelda, but I like it far more anyway.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:16 am

Just gone on it

The site now offer's downloads again
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Doesn't appear to be the case, sadly.

I've tried quite a few games over the past couple of days and the ROMS are still unavailable, at least for the Mega Drive.

Perhaps they plan to introduce them again slowly buy surely, but for now I've had no luck... :(
Press Play On Tape

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Total
Over
Reaction.

That is all...
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:47 pm

There's probably a lot that they could put back up without attracting too much attention. Nintendo only named about 160 games and 40 trademarks in the LoveROMs suit, although there are obviously a lot of other publishers who might be spurred towards action.

At the very least, I think they'll want to wait and see how that case pans out before putting anything back up.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:29 am

Just a quick bump, as the LoveROMS case has now been settled for $12.23 million in Nintendo's favour.

Realistically, I don't think it means an end to ROM sites though. The lawsuit only covered the 160 or so games that Nintendo has ownership of. That's only a tiny percentage of the total games for their platforms, albeit one that contains a much higher proportion of the most popular games. Sites could continue to host the remainder, although they'd have to bear in mind the possibility of lawsuits from other IP owners, particularly now that Nintendo have established a precedent.

However, there will continue to sites who operate under jurisdictions where it would be difficult to take legal action against them, and other means of file sharing where it's difficult to pin culpability on individual parties. They might be hard to hunt down for a while, but in time it'll become the new norm, at least if Nintendo just sit on their laurels.

Still, maybe this will spur them into action to add at least some of those 160 games to the Switch online service? They've been - quite deservedly IMHO - getting pilloried over the paucity of the NES titles on offer, so getting SNES and N64 onto the road map sooner rather than later would seem a good idea.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:45 am

Agreed.

Nintendo should be able to bang out these older games at a rate of knots by now. It’s ridiculous how slow Nintendo are at getting stuff out there.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:42 am

Wow, settled... so does that site have over $12M?!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 am

RetroBob wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:42 am
Wow, settled... so does that site have over $12M?!
I wouldn't find that totally impossible given that they've been running for over a decade and had a crap ton of advertising. Reportedly, the sites were getting upwards of 17 million visits a month too.

That said, I'd think that Nintendo would be more after the deterrent effect than the money itself and just wanted a high headline figure even if only a much smaller amount actually changes hands.

demon

Post by demon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:23 pm

It's not much about what is right or wrong, but as usual it's about business. Ten or a bit more years ago retrogaming was still a hobby for a bunch of nerds, but now those nerds have careers, a lot more money in the pockets than they know how to spend, and have entered the age of nostalgic feelings: just see how many movies and TV series grounded in the 80s/90s have popped up in the last few years. We've already seen remakes of 80s/90s consoles like Atari, PS1, C64, Spectrum... now people are actually spending money to replay those games of their childhood and suddenly it's more cool than nerd to do so, or it's cool to be nerd or whatever. Hence, copyright holders have smelled the chance to milk some cows for a while. Give it 10 more years, when the elders among us already satisfied their nostalgia and the younger generations won't give a damn, and Nintendo will once again focus on R&D.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Why wouldn't it be about business? Nintendo striking out at sites that distribute their games for free isn't a new thing, they were doing it 20 years ago when emulators first became really viable. There were no end of rom sites around in the late 90s and early 00s, and a Nintendo cease and desist order was pretty commonplace. Them turning a blind eye is a relatively recent thing. As mentioned before though, they have to protect their IP to stop not just free distribution, but other sales. If they don't protect the IP, it falls into public domain, then anyone can decide to sell them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Yeah totally agree. Find it frustrating though i cant 'legally' buy say some old gameboy games for my phone. Love the way Sega release old classics (Actually free but you pay a one off price to get rid of adverts) on iOS, would love to buy a proper version of say Super Mario Land (GB) for my phone. Nintendo would make a ton. But i'll just have to use emulators. I want to buy these games 'legally' but on my device of choice i cant. Obviously up to Nintendo but they could make a fortune

And yeah its because of people like you and me who have helped retro become popular again. Retro was dead in the 90's and then emulators arrived, still an underground scene for a while then it just got bigger and bigger. All these new retro consoles/game releases making tons of money now

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:47 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:31 pm
Yeah totally agree. Find it frustrating though i cant 'legally' buy say some old gameboy games for my phone. Love the way Sega release old classics (Actually free but you pay a one off price to get rid of adverts) on iOS, would love to buy a proper version of say Super Mario Land (GB) for my phone. Nintendo would make a ton. But i'll just have to use emulators. I want to buy these games 'legally' but on my device of choice i cant. Obviously up to Nintendo but they could make a fortune
If you really want to buy it, Nintendo will sell it to you here:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/2 ... -2OYn-ZOyZ

And yeah, you'll need a 3DS.

I'd love to be able to play all the games I own across all my devices too, but realistically any games hardware manufacturer is going to keep almost all their games exclusive, because that's how the business works. What they'd gain in making games for other platforms would likely be lost in terms of cannibalizing their hardware sales, and then some.

Ah well, at least you get a proper d-pad and buttons on the 3DS, plus the phone with sufficient battery life to allow you to play games all day without impairing its other functions has yet to be built.
And yeah its because of people like you and me who have helped retro become popular again. Retro was dead in the 90's and then emulators arrived, still an underground scene for a while then it just got bigger and bigger. All these new retro consoles/game releases making tons of money now
Sure, for a lot of systems, emulation has been a lifeline that's stopped them from being forgotten, but could you honestly say that was ever the case for Nintendo, and in particular the GameBoy? Let's not forget that their handhelds were backwards compatible with it all the way up to the GBA SP, which you could still buy at retail until well into the late 2000s. Emulation prior to that point was far more about facilitating piracy than preservation, which is something that all the people who wonder why Nintendo is quite so antagonistic towards it seem to forget.

With the exception of the Virtual Boy - the one where emulation is the least effective substitute for its garish reality - pretty much all their other systems have been emulated while still on the market too. The GBA was famously emulated even before the finished hardware was being sold.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:42 pm

demon wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:23 pm
It's not much about what is right or wrong, but as usual it's about business. Ten or a bit more years ago retrogaming was still a hobby for a bunch of nerds, but now those nerds have careers, a lot more money in the pockets than they know how to spend, and have entered the age of nostalgic feelings: just see how many movies and TV series grounded in the 80s/90s have popped up in the last few years. We've already seen remakes of 80s/90s consoles like Atari, PS1, C64, Spectrum... now people are actually spending money to replay those games of their childhood and suddenly it's more cool than nerd to do so, or it's cool to be nerd or whatever. Hence, copyright holders have smelled the chance to milk some cows for a while. Give it 10 more years, when the elders among us already satisfied their nostalgia and the younger generations won't give a damn, and Nintendo will once again focus on R&D.
True, video games and associated hardware were always a business, but only now they became a really big business, surpassing the movie industry in profits. As you say, retro gaming also isn't "underground" anymore and many companies cash in on re-released software and hardware and long-running franchises. It makes sense for companies to protect their brands, especially in Nintendo's case, whose reputation is wholly built on 30+ year old franchises that are still running (although they also manage to "hit and miss" with hardware innovations).

As for younger generations - I wouldn't worry, all they have to do is make a "Super Smash Battle Royale" and all the kids gonna buy into it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 am

Nope. Games have been big business pretty much from the start, claims of being ahead of the movie business have been around for at least 2 or 3 decades. Gaming has never been 'underground' either. They started with a big explosion where everyone played, slowed down to mainly kids playing for a few years, then we all grew up and everyone plays them again. In their 40ish year history, there's maybe 10 years where it wasn't very mainstream from roughly mid 80s'ish to mid 90s'ish. Rereleases arrived early too, with a healthy stream of budget games publishers and compilations maximising sales and profit. Those 30 year old franchises started then qnd continue, sort of proving the point somewhat.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.