Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

GAZBEROTTEN

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:07 am

Will be interesting to see how many people will be streaming the first Grand Theft Auto game on twitch on the PlayStation classic via obs on their pc. I mean the first GTA game probably hasn't been seen or even heard of from the new people who played GTA 3 and upwards

HdE

Post by HdE » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:07 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm
There's no way they'd make it with an optical drive though. That'd add another ten dollars to the parts cost and increase the failure rate tenfold, all for the sake of a relatively small number of customers who already presumably have other devices to play their existing games on.

Similarly, adding an internet store for downloads and updates wouldn't hold much attraction for them either. It'd maybe cost them a dollar to add a WiFi chip per device, but a massive amount more to supply the infrastructure, and once again it'd be all for the sake of the handful of people who are going to see it as more than a novelty item that'll get a few months use before it becomes an ornament.
Yeah - realistically, were NEVER going to see these kinds of features implemented in these retro themed mini consoles. It defeats the whole point of them.

Veering tangentially off topic here, I'm actually kind of interested to see what happens with the recently announced Intellivison Amico console, which seems to be a halfway step between these retro mini classic things and a more fully-fledged product. That seems to be built around the idea of buying games solely from an online store. Which I think will probably do more to harm it than help it - the Amico already feels like quite a niche, possibly overly ambitious product.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:48 pm

I've cancelled my pre-order. Not because I don't like the line up - it's actually stronger than I was expecting. I just had a moment of clarity where I realised £89.99 could be better spent elsewhere.
I wonder why they settled on including just 20 games. They could have doubled that number without too much effort (even if only by including some sequels).

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:38 pm

What's THE game that put the PS 1 on the map? The one game that helped to kick-start the 'casual gamer scene' and blurred the lines between video games and pop culture? The game that brought the video game console back in to the living room? The one game - above all others - that defined the PS1 and is still relevant to this day? For me that game can only be Tomb Raider , and the console really should have had that game included.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:44 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:38 pm
What's THE game that put the PS 1 on the map? The one game that helped to kick-start the 'casual gamer scene' and blurred the lines between video games and pop culture? The game that brought the video game console back in to the living room? The one game - above all others - that defined the PS1 and is still relevant to this day? For me that game can only be Tomb Raider , and the console really should have had that game included.
Yes, I'd agree with that. When I think of the PS1, and the initial games that jump into the mind that launched that era, I think Ridge Racer. Tomb Raider.. Wipeout (the one often name checked as the game that bought the 'Club scene' to gaming). Resident Evil. MGS. FF7.Crash Bandicoot.

They are the first games I think of. There are others, but they are the first ones. Without some of them present, they seem glaring omissions. To me, the trio Tomb Raider, Wipeout, Crash Bandicoot especially.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 am

I think Wipeout was the game which really changed people's perceptions. Not just the game itself but even the packaging design (and by extension the graphic design of adverts etc) looked more like something from a dance music CD than a game. Add in the soundtrack which essentially amounted to a cultural endorsement from some of the top acts of the time and you've got a whole subculture of teens to twentysomethings taking notice.
I think the appreciation of games like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, MGS etc followed up on that initial wave of enthusiasm from an older market.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:27 pm

No WipeOut 2097 is an incredible omission.

It's a no from me.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm not sure if I'd call WipeOut a major omission. Sure, it was launched to much critical acclaim and was a major hit in the UK, but the series made barely a ripple globally - just scraping over the million mark across three games - so in all honesty I'd have been surprised if it made the cut.

Realistically, I'd only count something as "missing" if it's part of a franchise where the games sold ten million plus units, and that leaves us with:
Crash Bandicoot - Currently doing very good business for Activision and maybe outside Sony's price range as a result.
Gran Turismo - Needs an analogue controller. Maybe held back for a second console next year?
Tomb Raider - Another potentially complicated licence that's still a bit too current to be easily acquired.
Spyro - Another Activision licence.
Driver - Another for dual shocks.
Tony Hawk - Good luck getting that licence sorted out too.

Against which they've managed to get Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Tekken, Metal Gear, Twisted Metal and GTA on there, all of which are of similar stature.

So, on the whole, I think they've done a pretty good job. Whether it's good enough for individual tastes is another matter though, and I've always been of the opinion that they'd be spread pretty thin trying to cover the broad appeal of the console.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Would CrashTR really cost that much? And the potential to bring more fans to the series. Perhaps they are embarrassed by how basic they look by today's standards. Either way, those who really want to play them will hack the machine, so why not earn a few quid and keep in Sony's good books. You HAVE to think that at least ONE of TR or Crash would have been on Sony's wish list.

Interesting to see the Japanese line-up. Similar , but overall ours I think is better. Still I'd happy switch Gradius for Rainbow-bloody-6.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:50 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:38 pm
Somewhat agreed, although PlayStation was basically everywhere during those times. Sony put a lot of effort and money to make it a sub-cultural phenomenon, so much that the term "PlayStation generation" was coined. Nintendo and Sega couldn't really compete with Sony here, especially the "kiddie" image riddled Nintendo (although the Sega Saturn fared far worse in the West and Nintendo did capitalize on the first-person shooters like GoldenEye and Turok to help improve their image).

Anyway, the real "system seller" for PlayStation was always Gran Turismo and I think it still holds some weight, although not as much as it used to. Final Fantasy was also a very important brand but it's not really a system seller anymore since it went multiplatform and the same could be said for many other franchises like Tekken, MGS, Res Evil, Crash, Spyro, etc.

Times have changed, console gamers seem to buy systems that run multiplatform games the best these days, or that offer them things the other systems don't (e.g. portability).

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:10 am

I agree with Wipeout being a big omission, from my perspective anyway. I imagine trying to rerelease GranTurismo would be a licensing nightmare.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:14 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:10 am
I agree with Wipeout being a big omission, from my perspective anyway. I imagine trying to rerelease GranTurismo would be a licensing nightmare.
To be honest WipeOut is probably a licensing issue too as they didn't own the music.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:18 pm

If only someone had mentioned the Wipeout music before...

Not all Wipeouts used licensed 3rd party music, some only had internally composed (Cold Storage) stuff. They could very easily use that version.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:18 pm
If only someone had mentioned the Wipeout music before...

Not all Wipeouts used licensed 3rd party music, some only had internally composed (Cold Storage) stuff. They could very easily use that version.
Well, Tim Wright (AKA Cold Storage) told me that the music he did for Wipeout was his and that he licensed it to Sony so if they re-use it they have to pay him.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Lol wouldn't it be funny if the Saturn Mini came out with Tomb Raider on it? I know licensing means a highly unlikely game on a highly unlikely mini console....it's just the irony would amuse me! :)