I'm getting a new tablet... but which one?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Spector

I'm getting a new tablet... but which one?

Post by Spector » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Can you guys give me some suggestions as to what would be the best tablet to buy - preferably android - on the market right now? One that gives good value for money without being totally dirt cheap? I'm not sure where to start so maybe somebody on here would have a recommendation?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Matt_B

Re: I'm getting a new tablet... but which one?

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 pm

I'd think that the latest model of the Amazon Fire HD 8 still rules the roost for value, at about £80.

If you want a bigger screen there's also a significantly more powerful 10" model for about £150.

You've just got to resort to a bit of hackery to get Google Play on them, but that should only take ten minutes or so.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 pm
I'd think that the latest model of the Amazon Fire HD 8 still rules the roost for value, at about £80.

If you want a bigger screen there's also a significantly more powerful 10" model for about £150.

You've just got to resort to a bit of hackery to get Google Play on them, but that should only take ten minutes or so.
No I want to avoid that as I've had far too many problems with apps installed on the Kindle fire HD I already have. It's easy to get android apps on them, but a lot of the apps don't work properly on mine.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 am

Do those apps include Kodi and YouTube by any chance? They can be made to work, again with more hackery, but it's a bit of a pain and they'll probably break whenever you do a system update.

If you're wanting a tablet that runs more or less stock Android you could take a look at the Huawei MediaPad. That's about as cheap as you get for something that's not got the Amazon subsidy keeping the price down.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Size? I have a 10" Samsung Tab A6 (I think) that has proven reliable and decent resolution for the price. Seems to be going for around £200 just now, though I'm sure I paid less in a sale in Tesco or Asda, around £160 iirc.

It does have physical buttons though. My old Asus one had virtual buttons which I preferred, as they remain in a constant position no matter which way round you hold it.

I am far from expert on these things though, I haven't really tried many others.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Spector wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm
Can you guys give me some suggestions as to what would be the best tablet to buy - preferably android - on the market right now? One that gives good value for money without being totally dirt cheap? I'm not sure where to start so maybe somebody on here would have a recommendation?
I've just been looking for a new one myself recently and found this to be a very good tablet for the price: https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computin ... 2-pdt.html

They also do it with 32GB storage too.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:58 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:13 pm
Size? I have a 10" Samsung Tab A6 (I think) that has proven reliable and decent resolution for the price. Seems to be going for around £200 just now, though I'm sure I paid less in a sale in Tesco or Asda, around £160 iirc.
It does have physical buttons though. My old Asus one had virtual buttons which I preferred, as they remain in a constant position no matter which way round you hold it.
Fair point about the physical buttons. I think that would knock it out for me.
Matt_B wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 am
Do those apps include Kodi and YouTube by any chance? They can be made to work, again with more hackery, but it's a bit of a pain and they'll probably break whenever you do a system update.
It's apps across the board, to be honest. First of all, BBC News stopped working, then BBC Sport, then TheTrainline said it was no longer compatible or whatever (though it did start running again a few weeks later), and other apps are ludicrously slow or just freeze. I've had enough of Kindle. It's done a job for me these last five years, but I would never get one again. I'm prepared to pay for this, I'm not looking for the cheapest option, just one that's not overpriced.
The Laird wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Spector wrote:
I've just been looking for a new one myself recently and found this to be a very good tablet for the price: https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computin ... 2-pdt.html
Ta for the suggestion, though the ghost of PCWorld still haunts me so when I see that in the web address I flinch for a minute :mrgreen: I'll check it out ;)

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Stick with a good brand like Samsung. Avoid the cheaper less familiar brands as theyre junk.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Ta for the suggestion, though the ghost of PCWorld still haunts me so when I see that in the web address I flinch for a minute :mrgreen: I'll check it out ;)
No worries. They have the same tablet in Argos too but it's £30 more expensive.

I really rate Huawei stuff, the battery life is amazing too, much better than any other brand I have used (Samsung, Acer, Google etc.)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Spector wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:58 pm
It's apps across the board, to be honest. First of all, BBC News stopped working, then BBC Sport, then TheTrainline said it was no longer compatible or whatever (though it did start running again a few weeks later), and other apps are ludicrously slow or just freeze. I've had enough of Kindle. It's done a job for me these last five years, but I would never get one again. I'm prepared to pay for this, I'm not looking for the cheapest option, just one that's not overpriced.
I think you'd be having similar problems with any five year old tablet, to be honest. The OS will be well and truly obsolete, the battery and flash memory will have been thoroughly thrashed, and every app is just that more demanding on something that's far weaker than even the cheapest ones on the market now.

Getting stuff like the BBC apps, where you can find 100% compatible versions in the Amazon store, shouldn't be a problem on the more modern versions though. It's usually just apps that compete with Amazon's own media services that they don't like, but there are ways around those.

Anyway, if you're done with Amazon, I'd suggest Huawei as your next best bet. Samsung's tablets are good too, but they're much more expensive unless you go for an older model and that'll probably negate any expectations you might have of getting a longer life out of them.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 pm

The Laird wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Spector wrote:

Screen resolution isn't that high for a modern tablet on that one. Depends what your doing, but I shelled out a little bit more on my Samsung for that reason. My old Asus was that res, and on comics it just wasn't quite sharp enough for text without zooming in a good bit. The higher res Samsung is a vast improvement. Not that I read comics often on it. The lower res will be fine for video though.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:31 pm

Another semi-related question that could be met with roars of silence: has anyone ever managed to run an exe file on an Android device using a dos box or something similar?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:14 am

Spector wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:31 pm
Another semi-related question that could be met with roars of silence: has anyone ever managed to run an exe file on an Android device using a dos box or something similar?
Yes, you can run exe files using aFreeBox, or something similar. However, it obviously won't run Windows applications and the performance is, at best, likely to be on par with a Pentium II. Also, don't expect to get far without some sort of keyboard.

For Windows applications, there is a port of WINE, but don't expect miracles. Your chances of running all but the most rudimentary applications are slim, and expect to have to do a fair amount of configuration. I've yet to even attempt this myself, but then again I've got a Windows tablet for that sort of thing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:38 am

Tried years ago, it was terrible, tablet just didn't have the power to run anything but really ancient stuff.

Bought a Lynx 1010b for £160 a couple of years back, amazing little ,machine for Windows stuff for the price. My only issue is that the Windows interface itself isn't ideal on a 10" screen with my failing eyes and fat fingers. Still, for the depth and range of gaming it offers it hammers the Android tablet.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:20 am

Spector wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:31 pm
Theyre a bit pricey but coming down in price all the time (I got mine for £220) but the GPD Win which you might have heard me mentioning before !

Great little mini PC, i use it for a lot of Steam games and emulation use. Cant run the latest steam games but lots of my favourites are from a few years ago but worth looking at possibly...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win

Yeah its another gadget but its quite a cool one ! There is a GPD Win 2 but its silly prices at the mo (£700 etc)