Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply
GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Im hoping at it will be online in some capacity so we can play other games.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5245
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:52 am

GAZBEROTTEN wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:48 pm
Im hoping at it will be online in some capacity so we can play other games.
I'd think that Sony have already put the kibosh on that by stating that there'll be no additional content or peripherals. It would be nice if they were to reconsider though, and people are going to try and hack it so it can play more games in any case.

kiwimike
Posts: 3640
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:00 am

I am getting a bit annoyed at the lack of announcements in regards to the rest of the built in games. It's 4-5 weeks to release day and still nothing released about the titles you will be paying for :?

GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:15 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:00 am
I am getting a bit annoyed at the lack of announcements in regards to the rest of the built in games. It's 4-5 weeks to release day and still nothing released about the titles you will be paying for :?
I wonder if Sony has run into licencing problems or specific developers or publishers have halted a specfic game.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26616
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Why release more information when it's still being discussed without it?

Drop the games list a fortnight before launch and suck up those impulsive preorders with less time for people to think it over and cancel.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5245
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 pm

Yeah, they know that they're not going to be able to please everyone.

The more games they nail down now, the more people will lose interest because the ones they want aren't going to be on it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3640
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:28 am

True. But that said, I have cancelled my preorder as I am not comfortable with paying for something when I don't know exactly what it is I'll be getting. If the list comes out and looks good, I will order again, and if I missed out, so be it. But not happy to be preordering only knowing quarter of the titles, even if some of those five are certainly classics.

GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:42 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 pm
Why release more information when it's still being discussed without it?

Drop the games list a fortnight before launch and suck up those impulsive preorders with less time for people to think it over and cancel.
Because people will want to know what they are buying and what games they are going to get for their money. They have the right to know what a product is offering before making any pruchase.
Matt_B wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 pm
Yeah, they know that they're not going to be able to please everyone.

The more games they nail down now, the more people will lose interest because the ones they want aren't going to be on it.
It depends on what games they are offering and if these games are still popular as of 2018. It would also depend on how many people want to buy the PS1 classic.
kiwimike wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:28 am
True. But that said, I have cancelled my preorder as I am not comfortable with paying for something when I don't know exactly what it is I'll be getting. If the list comes out and looks good, I will order again, and if I missed out, so be it. But not happy to be preordering only knowing quarter of the titles, even if some of those five are certainly classics.
Well, let's hope sony pick some really good games and not a few bad ones no one really wants. Im hoping for Destruction Derby,Die Hard Trilogy,Kula World,Kurushi but hey I can only dream.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14888
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Megamixer » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm with kiwimike on this one. Was definitely interested in this device as soon as it was announced because I've always been a Playstation man since the PS1 days BUT I'm not going to be some sort of fanboy mug who pre-orders just because it's a Playstation product, heedless of what the actual included games are. It's those people that Sony are counting on for not cancelling their pre-orders.

If the games are decent then I will probably look at one post-launch. If they turn out like the Nintendo ones and sell out with massive price hikes then I won't bother.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike
Posts: 3640
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:12 am

Megamixer wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:45 pm
I'm with kiwimike on this one. Was definitely interested in this device as soon as it was announced because I've always been a Playstation man since the PS1 days BUT I'm not going to be some sort of fanboy mug who pre-orders just because it's a Playstation product, heedless of what the actual included games are. It's those people that Sony are counting on for not cancelling their pre-orders.

If the games are decent then I will probably look at one post-launch. If they turn out like the Nintendo ones and sell out with massive price hikes then I won't bother.
Yeah, I actually enjoyed the 'rest of the twenty games tba soon' stuff initially...it was fun to debate what titles would make the grade.

However, the joke wears a bit thin four weeks out and you still haven't been told what you are actually putting your money down for! :lol: Hence why I have opted to cancel and see what is announced.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26616
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:42 am

...and yet still we're talking about the system, further proving they don't need to release any more info until they want that spike of interest right before it goes on sale.

I don't think anyone here is the target market anyway, we all have Playstations of some type and our favourite games on disc already.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3640
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:06 am

You're probably right on both counts, it's still getting talked about- and I guess any news good or bad is advertising- and the hardcore gamers aren't the target, more the nostalgic impulse buyer.
However, I still believe timing is essential and they do run the risk of losing sales pissing people off without releasing a full games list. I can't be the only one who's thought 'bugger this' and cancelled their preorder.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Well here is the games list:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash!
Metal Gear Solid
Mr. Driller
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

Full article here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... specs-5928

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24332
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:36 pm

The Laird wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Battle Arena Toshinden
Image

kiwimike
Posts: 3640
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:21 pm

That's pretty solid to be fair. Abes and MGS are the most welcome for me. I would prefer RE2 and DD2 to originals and twisted metal is cool.

I will reconsider with this line up !

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests