Backwards Compatability

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HdE
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by HdE » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:34 am

GAZBEROTTEN wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:10 pm
Wow didnt think Orange Box would of made it guess Microsoft must of seen the light
That's been backwards compatible for ages, though. I bought a pre-owned copy a good two months back just to play it on my Xbox One.

If anything, there's some weirdness going on with the current compatibility list, though. I believe th three Crysis games and Metal gear Solid HD collection were both recently announced as additions, but haven't yet appeared on the official backwards compatibility web page.

I didn't even know the first Crysis game had been released on the 360!
Last edited by HdE on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:16 am

HdE wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:34 am
GAZBEROTTEN wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:10 pm
Wow didnt think Orange Box would of made it guess Microsoft must of seen the light
That's been backwards compatible for ages, though. I bought a pre-owned copy a good two months back just to play it on my Xbox One.

If anything, there's som weirdness going onwith the current compatibility list, though. I believe th three Crysis games and Metal gear Solid HD collection were both recently announced as additions, but haven't yet appeared on the official backwards compatibility web page.

I didn't even know the first Crysis game had been released on the 360!
Probably Microsoft forgot to update the webpage it happens.

ALK
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by ALK » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Orange Box did however get that "Enhanced For XBONE X" upgrade recently along with a few other 360 titles.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:44 am

ALK wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:06 pm
Orange Box did however get that "Enhanced For XBONE X" upgrade recently along with a few other 360 titles.
I wonder just how many Xbox 360 games will be bc by the end of the Xbox Ones Launch. It would then give us a rough idea of how many games from the Xbox One and Xbox One X could be possibly made backwards compatible for its successor.

ALK
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by ALK » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:12 am

GAZBEROTTEN wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:44 am
ALK wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:06 pm
Orange Box did however get that "Enhanced For XBONE X" upgrade recently along with a few other 360 titles.
I wonder just how many Xbox 360 games will be bc by the end of the Xbox Ones Launch. It would then give us a rough idea of how many games from the Xbox One and Xbox One X could be possibly made backwards compatible for its successor.
We're at the over 500 titles mark for 360 and OG XBox games, with new games continuing to be added every week. Since they tend to do OG XBox games in big bunches, that'll probably get the number around 600-700 by the time the XBox Whatever arrives.

It'll be interesting to see if the next system will be built with the current range in mind, like all the current XBONE BC titles will work on the new system day one. As well as continuing to add new titles and 4K upgrades (For example, you can buy new OG XBox downloads on the 360's digital store when they're added to the XBONE store.)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:25 pm

ALK wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:12 am
GAZBEROTTEN wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:44 am
ALK wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:06 pm
Orange Box did however get that "Enhanced For XBONE X" upgrade recently along with a few other 360 titles.
I wonder just how many Xbox 360 games will be bc by the end of the Xbox Ones Launch. It would then give us a rough idea of how many games from the Xbox One and Xbox One X could be possibly made backwards compatible for its successor.
We're at the over 500 titles mark for 360 and OG XBox games, with new games continuing to be added every week. Since they tend to do OG XBox games in big bunches, that'll probably get the number around 600-700 by the time the XBox Whatever arrives.

It'll be interesting to see if the next system will be built with the current range in mind, like all the current XBONE BC titles will work on the new system day one. As well as continuing to add new titles and 4K upgrades (For example, you can buy new OG XBox downloads on the 360's digital store when they're added to the XBONE store.)
If they reach the 750 mark i will be very impressed at least its a lot of the games covered and supported.Lets hope Microsoft is able to pull it off

User avatar
Bluce_Ree
Posts: 1063
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 6:50 am

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:46 pm

I wasn't hugely bothered about b/c but a few weeks back I got to spend some time with an Xbox One and so I signed into Xbox Live for the first time in years and it's quite nice having access to 100+ of my old games.

I can see the appeal. PS5 needs to sort this out really.

If the Xbox One had launched with all this, it would have smashed it this generation.
Image

GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:03 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:46 pm
I wasn't hugely bothered about b/c but a few weeks back I got to spend some time with an Xbox One and so I signed into Xbox Live for the first time in years and it's quite nice having access to 100+ of my old games.

I can see the appeal. PS5 needs to sort this out really.

If the Xbox One had launched with all this, it would have smashed it this generation.
Heres how Sony can win over Xbox and Nintendo fans.

1. Backward compatibility right off the bat with Ps1,2,3,4 games via streaming or being able to download the game for free if you have the disc copy of that game, some bc with disc-based games that will run. This will open up the PS5 to a wider games library something which the new Xbox can not offer anywhere near even with original Xbox games included and Xbox 360,Xbox One games.

2. Contact hundreds if not thousands of developers and publishers and ask them to consider making newer titles to there best games or port some of the best selling games over to PS5. This adds to the availability of games on the PS5 and gives the fanbase a wider choice.

3. Entice fans by offering them a choice of free games they receive each month including games that are on the bc list, let the fans pick what games they want and not have games chose or forced upon them. This would give Microsoft a serious run for its money.

ALK
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by ALK » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:30 am

You can't really offer a completely free download if you own the disc because then you could just let your your friends borrow the game so they all get a free download and not make a penny back. You would have to make it so you need to keep the disc as a requirement to boot up the download (Much like how on XBONE, you get the download of the OG XBox/360 game but you need the disc to unlock the download each time you want to play it.).

Unless PS5 can read and play off the discs normally, it would be impossible to offer full 100% backwards compat because having all those games on a server would again require a heck ton of licensing and permissions even if they don't intend on selling a download version on PSN. And given the tech PS3 had that made backwards compat with those games on PS4 not possible unless streamed, you'd be looking at one expensive system.

That said, its probably going to be like XBONE where a select range is offered and expanded every week or so and with possible 4K enhancements. Sony know this is a much requested feature but they'll want to make money off it too, so if that means milking the PS1-4 libraries over a long period, so be it. They can still make money on the streaming service too, you either play a past game right away on the streaming service or wait till god knows when for your disc copy to grant you a download version (While still requiring the disc to boot up) or buy the download version on PSN.

And all before we get into older PS3 and PS4 downloads. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
Tom_Baker
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by Tom_Baker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:13 am

There are lots of people on here who are compatible with being backwards no?
Image

GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:59 am

Tom_Baker wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:13 am
There are lots of people on here who are compatible with being backwards no?
Examples please

ALK
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by ALK » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:28 pm

So looks like the XBONE will no longer be seeing any new backwards Compatible titles after this week, shifting their focus on Backwards Compatibility on Project Scarlett, but they are adding a final batch of games, including some OG XBox games as well as some of the DLC for OG XBox games being added.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/10/ ... atibility/

And one game, Too Human, is free for a limited time.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5258
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:53 am

The good news seems to be that Project Scarlett will boast three generations of backwards compatibility at launch.

I'd love to see Sony and Nintendo pick up the gauntlet on that. There are always going to be games that can't be offered because of technical and licensing issues, I suppose, but it would be nice if they could do everything else.

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:53 am

Glad to see the original FarCry and the semi-sequel Instincts Evolution/Predator, though I haven't played them since the OGXbox days and they've probably aged pretty badly.
Some interesting things elsewhere on the list. Shame not to see Project Gotham.

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:01 pm

It can be bloody handy to have, I need just one working GBA to play everything in its catalouge and having the XBone, 360 and PS2 with their capabilities makes like a little easier without needing to swap consoles out all the time.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests