Xbox One Mouse And Keyboard Support: The Potential

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GAZBEROTTEN

Xbox One Mouse And Keyboard Support: The Potential

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:42 pm

The recent announcement of Keyboard and Mouse Support for the Xbox One is great news for Xbox One users and does now open the doors and potential for many newer games to be developed for Xbox One and also allow the user to utilise the capabilities of the Xbox One a lot more and will pave the way for next generation and will ensure many high quality games in the future as well as encouraging developers to produce more titles and newer games. Here are my reasons as to how I feel this will benefit gamers/

Keyboard

Every gamer on pc will tell you that the keyboard has a wide variety of uses including the many keys available as well as it being used as an essential communication device. The keyboard has 100 keys on average and some have more keys. This allows developers to utilise these keys as additional controls to allow the player to be able to do more things in a game like moves or combos or for things like accessing inventory or quick keys to accessing an item quickly. This being supported on consoles gives these developers more creative ways to utilise what is available on a keyboard which allows games to have extra controls. This can also be used with apps like Google Plus which could now be supported on the Xbox One along with mouse support. Also, many games that have live in-game chat would benefit with this on Xbox One and would allow developers of PC games to consider bringing some of these titles to the Xbox One and newer games as well.

Mouse

This being supported now allows developers to use this with shoot em up games, point and click games as well as other games in the past that have used mouses. Also, mouse support will allow better dashboard functionality and can use various mouse based features with apps and games as well as other games developers would consider allowing mouse usage. This would also encourage indie developers and new I.ps to appear on the Xbox One that would greatly utilise the mouse function that has appeared on Pc and not Xbox One. This would increase the number of new games including those from developers of AAA titles as well as Indie Developers and those who are looking to create newer I.PS.

Games

This announcement of supporting both mouse and keyboard ensures that developers have more reason to increase the number of games they produce for the Xbox One as well as indie games. Previously the mouse and keyboard were not supported, particularly the keyboard not having much support discouraged developers further from making new games because of this. The announcement of the mouse and keyboard support will ensure more newer games are made giving Xbox One owners a better line up and a larger selection of titles as well as other advantages.

Additional Applications and improved dashboard functionality

The support of the above-mentioned devices will now interest app developers to consider making their versions of apps that are available on pc but not games consoles. Google +, for example, requires a mouse and keyboard and with Xbox One having a usb port web cameras can be supported which would allow better usage of social media apps as well as multimedia applications which could also be used on Xbox One. Also, indie software could then be offered to use the Xbox One for interesting features that the pc offered including but not limited to video editing, graphics design etc, other apps can then appear on the console for those who would be interested in utilising them.

Shortcuts to apps or launching a game can also be added as well as the ability to be able access features of the dashboard faster without having to browse the dashboard sections and instead have an instant key to load specific apps or features saving time. Also, Microsoft because the Xbox One runs a specific version of windows could include some classic Windows OS games as a way to celebrate the Mouse and Keyboard support like Solitare Spider, Minesweeper and apps for those on Xbox One and to give those who have used Windows a nostalgia feeling for those who own a PC.

These are the reasons why I feel this will benefit Xbox One gamers and the Xbox One as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9xp1NO9rs

Antiriad2097

Re: Xbox One Mouse And Keyboard Support: The Potential

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:23 pm

It won't make any significant impact. Anything other than the controls supplied with the system never do.

It does mean there's scope for retro PC games to be ported though, possibly using some DOSbox variant. If that happened, and someone like GoG got involved, it could be good.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:23 pm
It won't make any significant impact. Anything other than the controls supplied with the system never do.

It does mean there's scope for retro PC games to be ported though, possibly using some DOSbox variant. If that happened, and someone like GoG got involved, it could be good.
Thank you for replying great point on your second paragraph I actually agree with you on it. I would like to add another contribution to this thread and here it is. I hope you will at the very least enjoy the read and will also enjoy responding if you feel the need to.

My Xbox One Dream Games List

I have a few games that id like love to see and would be a dream come true to see these games come to the Xbox One after the recent announcement that Microsoft is supporting Keyboard and Mouse Functions on the console. With the recent addition of the Xbox One X there could not be a better time to set the standard for next-generation systems with excellent games setting the standard. Here are the ten games id like to see happen.

Unreal Tournament 2020, Unreal 3, Unreal Championship 3

These games which were released on pc demonstrated an example of how a great game can utilize a mouse and keyboard. An example of how what games should be coming to the Xbox One is the Unreal Games. A new unreal title created for the Xbox One would be the perfect way to utilize what the Xbox One can do and with the keyboard and mouse support, this would add more enjoyment and fun to the game. As of yet, no new Unreal games have been developed for the Xbox One but this could change as keyboard and mouse support would allow gamers the addition of using multiple devices to play these games and get better enjoyment out of them like pc users have in the past. With the use of the Unreal Engine being used on the Xbox One and with possible tweaks, this would offer some great shootemps for Xbox One gamers as a whole. Considering this series accomplished 3 world records having a new set of Unreal games on Xbox One would greatly delight players.

Quake Champions 2020,Enemy Territory: Quake Wars 2,Quake 5

Anyone who has played Quake will tell you this is one series that needs newer games for the Xbox One. Now that keyboard and mouse support is offered the Xbox One would greatly benefit from these games especially new releases which would then utilize the Xbox One's capabilities. Bethesda Softworks who currently has published the latest title along with Electronic Arts and Activision who are three developers who made the previous games could easily develop a newer Quake game for the Xbox One utilizing the keyboard and mouse support. Given that Microsoft would want more games to its existing system it would certainly give sony a very good run for its money.

Monkey Island 3,4 Special Edition, Monkey Island 5

Although Disney Interactive own the rights to the series fans are still asking for newer Monkey Island games and have even supported Ron Gilbert with a petition to try to convince Disney to sell the rights to Ron of the Monkey Island Series. With the Xbox One supporting mouse and keyboard usage this means that the market for Disney Interactive could be potentially expanded and would be profitable if they made newer Monkey Island games including Special Editions of there previous games. A newer game would also allow them to continue the series and allow gamers to enjoy newer titles on newer systems. GIven that the series has earned the admiration of fans and non-fans this is one series that needs to return on the Xbox One and with the recent Keyboard and Mouse support announcement.

Do You Copy 2,Newer Indie Games,PC Ports

If you go and look as to how many pc games could now be ported to the Xbox One due to it now supporting mouse and keyboard support there are very arguably a ton of games right of the bat that should be ported alone. Adding to this Do You Copy an indie game that has shown indie titles can be successfully created and impress people shows that a lot of indie developers can now be making a lot more newer games for the Xbox One that would use the mouse and keyboard giving gamers greater enjoyment on the Xbox One of indie titles than that was not thought possible without a mouse and keyboard.

Unique Indie Developer Software

This would open doors for developers to see if they could create unique software as well that would normally be used with the mentioned devices on the pc on Xbox One. The Xbox One could benefit from some great unique software which indie developers would be more suitable to produce and create. This would encourage console gamers to think beyond having just a gaming system and to consider getting used to basic software that they could use on there console like user-friendly operating systems and even offer exclusive apps that would not normally be available on rival systems like PlayStation 4. This would give gamers more choice and a better experience and would even fully utilize the Xbox One and Xbox One Xs potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnfPcQvJkQ4

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:13 am

Personally, I like console gaming mainly because it DOESN'T use a mouse and keyboard. Sitting at a desk with a mouse and keyboard feels a bit too much like being at work for me, these days. Each to their own, I suppose...
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Well, the SNES had a mouse bundled with Mario Paint and it was supported in some games like Doom and Sim City and the Sega Dreamcast had a mouse and keyboard which saw use in games like Quake 3 Arena and Phantasy Star Online.

Otherwise, I think console gamers prefer the gamepad over mouse and keyboard which are designed to sit infront of a desk.

You can see that traditional PC games tend to be in that way too - point and click (and text) adventures, RTS games, turn-based strategies, super fast paced FPS games, tactical shooters, RPGs, city builders, manager simulations, MMOs, etc.

It's the type of games that aren't really meant to be played infront of a big TV screen, rather, on the edge of your seat infront of the PC monitor.

Otherwise, if console gamers would be willing to adapt to it, it could potentially open up a space for those sort of games which are either PC-only or usually don't work that well on gamepads.

Steam's gamepad also seems to bridge that gap between the two worlds a bit with those touch pads which are more suitable for PC-like games.

p.s.: Unreal 3 and Quake 5 are pretty optimistic calls, almost like wishing for Half-Life 3... :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Mouse has been around on consoles forever. The Atari 2600 has a trackball, PS1 has a mouse, pretty much every generation has supported it on one system somehow.

Still the best for FPS on the big screen.

Doesn't need to be tied to a desk, I can play with a trackball on my sofa (no need for a flat surface) and Bluetooth keyboards are plenty small enough to sit on your lap or the arm of the sofa.

It's just that small adoption rate thing that doesn't make it worth it, most devs just support the standard controls, knowing that aiming for the alternate as the default or best option automatically cuts their potential market massively.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:46 am

What about using them in conjuction with each other for example two point hospital on the pc has features with a mouse and keyboard that console controllers can not offer with its limited number of controlls.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:51 pm

mrmessy wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:13 am
Personally, I like console gaming mainly because it DOESN'T use a mouse and keyboard. Sitting at a desk with a mouse and keyboard feels a bit too much like being at work for me, these days. Each to their own, I suppose...
Depends if a certain new game utilises them more fully. The keyboard has 50 plus keys so thats 50 controls at least.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:17 pm

If I have to take my hands off the joyoad I'm not interested.

If I want to play strategy games I do it ony PC.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:18 am

The Laird wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:17 pm
If I have to take my hands off the joyoad I'm not interested.

If I want to play strategy games I do it ony PC.
I doubht the control pad will be going even anywhere. Its extra control options really so nothing bad about it.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:46 am

Looks like soneone already has the keyboard and mouse working months ago on the Xbox One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edypkcrz1L8