What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5843
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by the_hawk » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:42 pm

A PC Engine mini would be incredible, it's criminal that the original machine was never released here, it would right a wrong & I'd definitely pick one up, especially if it had some of the CD games on it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14264
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:44 pm

JamesC wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:22 pm
A Vectrex would be amazing!

Other than that I'd quite like an Atari Jaguar, Atari Lynx and a Gamecube with additional Gameboy Player content.
Problem with Vectrex is that once you take it out of it's dedicated cab it loses at lot of what makes it worth playing. The only way to properly play the system is with it's original system, but maybe with a multi-cart.

A Jag system would be interesting as myself (along i assume with most others) have played max 1 or 2 games for the system.

I'd also like to see a 32x Sega mini, perhaps also including some Sega CD games.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5245
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:12 am

Much though I like the idea of a Vectrex Mini, it's not really the sort of system that you could make much smaller and cheaper these days. There certainly aren't any cheap off-the-shelf vector displays you can buy and to make one work you'd also need millisecond accurate timings, which you aren't going to get by running an emulator on an ARM SoC. That's not to say that someone couldn't build a more robust and slightly more portable modern equivalent, with all the games and homebrew included, but it wouldn't be cheap.

User avatar
SpecChum81
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:11 am
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm

I'd love to see a Game Boy console, or at least some sort of modern collection released.

It would be great to play some of those original releases on a full size TV screen! :D 8)
Press Play On Tape

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3221
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by GarryG » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:12 am
... it's not really the sort of system that you could make much smaller and cheaper these days...
True, and there wouldn't be any point without the vector graphics screen. But how good would it be to have a vectrex-alike that had all the release games, the best and rarest of the homebrew, and the ability to play bin files from a USB stick or SD card.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

User avatar
PostieDoc
Posts: 794
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 pm

A mini Amiga and then a mini Plus/4.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26618
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:01 pm

GarryG wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 pm
Matt_B wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:12 am
... it's not really the sort of system that you could make much smaller and cheaper these days...
True, and there wouldn't be any point without the vector graphics screen. But how good would it be to have a vectrex-alike that had all the release games, the best and rarest of the homebrew, and the ability to play bin files from a USB stick or SD card.
Can I have a Vectrex XL, with a bigger, higher resolution screen instead of a mini?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by ALK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 pm

In other news, someone actually asked Phillips about a CD-i Mini and they replied "We'll see what we can do". :lol:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... y_our_best
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by The Laird » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:33 am

ALK wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 pm
In other news, someone actually asked Phillips about a CD-i Mini and they replied "We'll see what we can do". :lol:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... y_our_best
I'd buy one 8)

NorthWay
Posts: 1568
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by NorthWay » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Is there a handheld device that runs emulators well? I'd like to have a ColecoVision on the go. Might need custom controls...

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5245
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by Matt_B » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 am

NorthWay wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:21 pm
Is there a handheld device that runs emulators well? I'd like to have a ColecoVision on the go. Might need custom controls...
You should be able to run ColEm on most handheld Windows and Android devices.

Getting something that resembles the Coleco controller might prove a little tricky, but if you just want to play the games most modern controllers should suffice.

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:02 pm
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by samhain81 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Probably something that I never had as a child, and dont currently collect for, so probably Turbo Grafx/PC Engine or something would be ideal.

User avatar
tachi
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:47 pm
Location: Dartmoor
Contact:

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by tachi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:45 pm

GameCube!
Give me Eternal Darkness, Lost Kingdoms 1/2, Baldur's Gate DA 1/2, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1/2 and the awesome Star Wars shooters and I'll be happy ;)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26618
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:53 am

tachi wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:45 pm
GameCube!
Give me Eternal Darkness, Lost Kingdoms 1/2, Baldur's Gate DA 1/2, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1/2 and the awesome Star Wars shooters and I'll be happy ;)
And why not include a few GBA games too? It would be an easy way to extend the catalogue on it without taking up much memory.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: What System would you like a 'Classic' console for?

Post by ALK » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:53 am
tachi wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:45 pm
GameCube!
Give me Eternal Darkness, Lost Kingdoms 1/2, Baldur's Gate DA 1/2, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1/2 and the awesome Star Wars shooters and I'll be happy ;)
And why not include a few GBA games too? It would be an easy way to extend the catalogue on it without taking up much memory.
Gameboy Player Mini Add on incoming. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PostieDoc, RetroBob and 1 guest