Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

GAZBEROTTEN

Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 am

Sony has officially announced a PlayStation One Classic which will come preloaded with 20 classic games, offer HDMI right off the bat and will launch this December. It is unknown if Sony plans to do a PlayStation 2 Classic but for now a PS One classic is confirmed full details can be read here

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/19/playstat ... e-7958653/

This is great news and for retro gamers as a whole.

The Laird

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by The Laird » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:42 pm

I have absolutely zero interest in this, couldn't be less excited quite honestly.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 pm

^^^ Same but cool for those who are in to PS1.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Seems pointless when a PS3 can do it anyway. Also PS games have aged very badly and I'm not sure it'll enjoy the mainstream retro appeal of Nintendo and Atari's efforts.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:44 pm

No thanks. They could at least include more than 20 games, but mostly I'm not interested because of the terrible graphics. I love pixel art, but 1996 polygons don't look so good anymore.

But news about this has been posted twice in this very subforum today, so perhaps if all future comments could be posted in the first one of them, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55245&sid=4855f82bf ... e36304f732 ;)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:55 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm
Seems pointless when a PS3 can do it anyway.
I think the main point of these is the novelty and nostalgia of the hardware. It doesn't interest me but it should be cool for the Playstation fans.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

HdE

Post by HdE » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:59 pm

It's nice that Sony are putting some classic PS1 era games in a self contained package, with two controllers (reportedly.) But I'm not as excited for this as I hoped I'd be when the day inevitably rolled around.

There are some unknown quantities here. The controllers will need to be decent quality, or it's a dealbreaker. And, as somebody else has said here, 20 games is shameful. Sony could double that number fairly easily, I suspect. Even allowing for issues regarding licensing, were talking about SONY, for goodness' sake.

If anyone could make miracles happen with this dinky console format, it'd be them. But at the current price point, it already feels like a lazy cash grab to me.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 pm

No interest in this but would love a Sega Saturn mini...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Under a fiver a game is hardly a lazy cash grab. Buy a PS1 and 20 quality games, you could easily blow a lot more than the £90 asking price.

This isn't a disc based system with the problems those incur, and it has HDMI out.

For a certain market, this will have a lot of appeal.

Me? I grew up with 8 and 16 bit systems, so my nostalgia mostly lies there, hence I threw £70 at a SNES mini I've never removed from the delivery packaging, never mind its box. PS1 still feels like a 'new' system to me, but £20 more for those who want that nostalgia kick? I can see it selling, especially as a gift item.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Seems odd they would use the standard controllers over the duelshock ones, maybe they plan on selling those separately?

Bit much for my tastes, I might get one if there's ever an N64 mini so I can have the former rivals side by side. :lol: But yeah, when you consider the price of some of the big PS1 titles have gone up in the years (I sold both Crash and Spyro trilogies for £100 each a couple of years ago for example) and the PS4 only allows streaming of PS1 games (True you could get a PS3 for half the money, but its another huge console taking space) plus the nostalgia for the kids and teens that did grow up with PS1 back in the day, there should be more than a market for it.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:50 pm

No analogue on controllers may limit what we get but I do so hope its not full of Tomb Raider games when there are so many better titles. Maybe a couple of different versions with different game choices?
I could probably do a list of what I'd like to see but with licensing issues etc they would only be a pipe dream.

Good to see the likes of Tekken 3 getting an outing - the rest will be relative 'classics' and with the likes of Square and Namco on board maybe we will even see Klonoa // Tobal No1 or even all those high price collectors games like Castlevania SOTN , Kula World , Vib Ribbon etc - like the Snes Mini with Earthbound.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:57 pm

I think it looks good. These things sell themselves on their value as objets d'art first and foremost, and it helps that it was a design classic that marked the transition of games consoles between something you'd tuck away into a child's bedroom and that would be proudly put on display in your lounge.

I'd think that 20 games should be plenty too. That's only one less than the SNES Classic managed and, while we're perhaps used to the luxury of being able to dump entire libraries into emulators, it's worth remembering that Sony will be needing to whip out their 90's retro chequebook to licence all these once more. If someone can hack it and allow you to add your own games - and these things are rarely as well locked down as a modern console - that'd all be academic anyway.

Similarly, DualShock controllers would be nice, but they're putting together a package with two of them for under $100 and something has to give. As others have said, they may release them separately, and with the ports seemingly being standard USB ones it may be that you can just plug a modern controller in, or maybe even use a wireless one with the aid of a suitable dongle. Still, we'll have to wait and see on that.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:27 am

If I was to guess a list, it probably be:

Crash Bandicoot 1
Tomb Raider 1 or 2
Final Fantasy VII
Spyro 1
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 2
Crash Team Racing and/or Crash Bash (Party and kart racer covered)
GTA 1 or 2
Wipeout

That's probably most of the ironic PS1 franchises represented, if the NES/SNES Minis are anything to go by they'll hopefully won't fill the list up with sequels. Hopefully like others the rest is filled with those rare pricier games and the odd surprise
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:51 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 pm
Under a fiver a game is hardly a lazy cash grab. Buy a PS1 and 20 quality games, you could easily blow a lot more than the £90 asking price.

This isn't a disc based system with the problems those incur, and it has HDMI out.
You could indeed, but I wouldn't bank on most folks thinking about picking one of these up to do that kind of maths on it.

What really hobbles it in my view is the simple fact that there are other ways to play PS1 using modern conveninces like HDMI and without worrying about discs. Even Sony's own Playstation store carries plenty of first gen Playstation games.

I've got a horrible feeling most of the content on this console is going to be culled from the store, to be honest.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 am

I'm certainly keen. I love these mini machines with built in games. Depending on the games, and local price I will most likely preorder one of these. Some of the games being thrown around so far are only theories, but if what you expect are onboard, yes, sounds good.

As mentioned, HDMI along with no cheap CD drive to burn out adds to the interest for me :)

Yep, it's popped up with a local cost now- $169 in NZ. So preordered as thought that was okay. Had a voucher for the store so knocked $20 off. Thought I may as well as if it wasn't for me, I could certainly sell it for face value as it will be pretty sought after I think, and preordering for the xmas rush is for the best