Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ShadowMan

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Yeah, Dead Cells is ace. The procedural generation works fine and the rogue lite nature of it keeps pushing me forward. Its tough, but fun with a great combat system. I'll have to get back to it later, because I finally started Hollow Knight now and I'm loving it!

Lastly, I grabbed Resident Evil Revelations 1&2 on the Switch, because I thought Raid mode would be good on a handheld. And I was dead right, Revelations 2's raid mode is a blast on the go, I'll be playing this loads for sure! Switch is quickly turning into a Capcom/Nintendo/Indie handheld for me.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 pm

A new Direct is airing tomorrow at 11pm. Mostly likely some details about the Subscription later this month along with the usual game reveals/announcements.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm

ALK wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 pm
A new Direct is airing tomorrow at 11pm. Mostly likely some details about the Subscription later this month along with the usual game reveals/announcements.
Or not. Delayed till a future date due to the earthquake today.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 pm

The first (Of I'm sure many) Pokemon edition Switch has been revealed.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... s_november

Final Fantasy 15 Pocket Edition and a Remaster of Crystal Chronicles are coming to the Switch

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... ndo_switch

And Tales of Vespia has been dated for January 11th.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... _on_switch
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Great, more JRPGs. Where are the Assassin's Creeds, Call of Dutys, GTAs?

I love my Switch, it has some great games in there, but its really lacking in big western titles. We got Doom and Wolfenstein, but there doesn't seem to much else of that ilk around.

So few of the news items are really interesting.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:23 pm
On other systems
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Gamer Guy

Post by Gamer Guy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:30 pm

anybody else excited for Smash Ultimate for switch in dec?

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Gamer Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:30 pm
anybody else excited for Smash Ultimate for switch in dec?
I wasn't the biggest smash player but I'm really looking forward to this game, largely because of how stacked with content it looks. Looking forward to what this other mode is going to be, hopefully some single player content.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm

The delayed Direct is coming tomorrow at 11pm.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... _september

The Online Subscription Service will start on the 19th. Will include a 7 day free trial to try it out.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... _in_direct

More titles confirmed for the SEGA Ages line, including the likes of Outrun and Thunder Force AC/III.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... n_and_more
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Yoku's Island Express is down to a tenner on the e-shop. Worth a purchase?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:25 am

A big thumbs up for Animal Crossing, coming sometime next year. Hopefully it'll take up where the 3DS game left off rather than have anything to do with the awful spinoffs.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/13/17857 ... easer-2019

They've also announced the other NES games bundled with the online service and they're the predictable mixed bag. There's yet more crossover with the NES Classic lineup and the ones that aren't are mostly filler. Still, there'll be additional games coming at the rate of three a month, which I suppose is something. I'd like to see a commitment to adding SNES and N64 games to the service at some point though, even if that'll probably entail a price hike.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/13/17856 ... games-list

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
A lot of Switch fans will be like 'we don't care about those games, the Switch is all about the unique experiences' but if Far Cry 5 got announced today for Switch they'd spaff themselves dead.

Carcassonne and Katamari will do me though.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Funny enough, AC Odyssey was confirmed for a Japanese Switch release yesterday....however much like Resident Evil 7, its another Steaming affair.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:16 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:32 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
A lot of Switch fans will be like 'we don't care about those games, the Switch is all about the unique experiences' but if Far Cry 5 got announced today for Switch they'd spaff themselves dead.
To be honest, I'm not sure that they would, or at least not in the numbers that publishers would need to justify porting the games.

While it's clear from Doom and Wolfenstein II that the Switch is quite capable of making a reasonable stab at a lot of AAA games, the ones that are getting ported over don't appear to be selling that well. Going by the numbers on VGChartz, FIFA and Skyrim both managed about a million - which is pretty good - but the likes of Doom and LA Noire are in the low hundreds of thousands, and Wolfenstein II only managed a paltry 70K in its first month. They may go on to sell bigger numbers at discounted prices in the long run, because nobody likes paying full price for old games that can be had for peanuts on other platforms, but there's certainly no gold mine.

That said, I'd think that COD and GTA are in a different league sales-wise to the games that have been ported so far, so they might stand a better chance.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:32 am

The Smash themed Pro Controller is up for pre-order on the Nintendo Shop.

I was very pleased with the latest Direct. I always expected a Luigi's Mansion 3 at some point and I expect this installment to be the biggest and best yet, as I think Nintendo would like it to become a heavyweight franchise. I'll be keeping my eye on the Animal Crossing details too, I've never gotten into the series but maybe this next one will draw me in.

Nice to see a little more of Deamon Ex Machina, and Yoshi which looks like a must-buy for me. I'm interestred in the Final Fantasy stuff too. I probably won't pick up NSMB U again unless it becomes really cheap, but for some reason I'm tempted to double dip by the Kirby's Epic Yarn 3DS port. I'll be keeping an eye out for info on that "Town" RPG

I'm sure many moaned about the lack of Metroid, Fire Emblem, No More Heroes, Bayonetta, the new Pokemon RPG, the rumoured Pikmin 4 etc, but that's the cool thing about it; there's a lot more up still their sleaves as the new reveals have just shown. If people could only be a little patient.

On a related note, there was guy at work complaining Nintendo haven't released any big games on the Switch for a while, and while he's looking forward to Smash it's still too far away. But the reality is there aren't that many, it's a bit of a myth that Nintendo has dozens of AAA heavyweight blockbuster mega frachises. Really the big sellers with a fairly wide appeal are Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash and Mario Kart. Everything else is relatively niche and only appeals to certain people.

I suggested games like Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade 2: Torna (effectively a brand new game), Mario & Rabbids, Mario Tennis Aces, Fire Emblem Warriors, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Captain Toad, Octopath Traveller, Kirby, Arms, the upcoming Mario Party, and he just said he doesn't like RPGs, doesn't like muliplayer games, doesn't like sports games, doesn't like Pokemon, doesn't like 2D platformers, and for some reason isn't interested in ports of games he's not even played before. The only games he owns and rates are Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart, he does seem interested in a new Starfox and Smash as I say, but in the meantime his own narrow minded-ness is souring his experience with the Switch, and he goes around telling other people not to buy a Switch because it has no games. :roll: