Retro Gamer issue 185

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809
Posts: 18695
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:07 am

Just arrived, for the subscribers its a big Space Invaders cover with one of the 'aliens'. Looks pretty good

Really good issue for me, news about some of the smaller arcade machines you can get (be nice to see the even smaller Tiny Arcade ones which are cool !)

The impact of Space Invaders - looks great
Makingo f Batalyx - Not a huge C64 fan but always good to have Minter in the mag
History of Codemasters - looks good
Ultimate guide: Raiden - Really like this shooter so happy to see this
Making of Starion - Loved this Speccy game back in the day, came out before Elite on the Speccy, was pretty cool
Ultimate Guide - Another world - Another game i like so i'm happy so far ! Yeah its quite dark the blue on black, not too bad but can see why people might mention this
Making of The Neverhood - Never heard of this game i must admit ! Looks good - claymation stuff
Mega Cat Studios - Making new games on old systems
History of Syphon Filter - Never played it
Making of Disgaea - Again never played
David Jones interview - good to see, top bloke when i met him at Play Expo

Really good issue for me

User avatar
Fawltykog
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Down 't Pits

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:28 am

Buddy can you spare a torch :D

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:56 am

Here are the 2 covers this month:

Image

User avatar
Confessor
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:14 am
Location: Milan,Italy

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by Confessor » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Syphon Filter!! I have to read this issue! It makes me (almost) wanna subscribe again...

User avatar
ely
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by ely » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Loving that cover :) It does remind me how different the actual space invaders in the game are to the side art ones though!

MatOfTheDead
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by MatOfTheDead » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:53 pm

another great read this month i loved the feature on syphon filter and the codemasters sims cant wait for next month with the making of demo 1
Image

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Anyone else not received theirs yet?
Image

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6299
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by merman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:13 pm
Anyone else not received theirs yet?
Got my subscriber copy today...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by The Laird » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:13 pm
Anyone else not received theirs yet?
I've not got mine yet either, which is annoying as I want to to see how my Raiden feature turned out!

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:12 pm

The Laird wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:22 pm
Negative Creep wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:13 pm
Anyone else not received theirs yet?
I've not got mine yet either, which is annoying as I want to to see how my Raiden feature turned out!
Not received mine yet either. I’ve cancelled my sub but afaik should still receive mags until it lapses in October.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:20 am

Not got mine either. Hopefully get it in the morning so I can read it before work at 6pm!

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:20 am
Not got mine either. Hopefully get it in the morning so I can read it before work at 6pm!
No RG in the post today. Grrrrrrrr had to read other things!

Looking forward to some of the bits in the new issue though - I love Raiden, so hopefully it's been given some love! Hope it has a conversion capers section too as there were some good and not so good versions!
AND also the Codemasters history :)

malczx
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by malczx » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Mine arrived yesterday, great cover and some really good content this month, looking forward to reading it!

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:39 am

Finally turned up this morning (well, yesterday now). Some great stuff in there but out numbered by stuff I'm not interested in - personal taste not a problem with the mag.

The Codemasters article is brilliant! Love the little 'makings of' - I love Codemasters almost as much as Mastertronic.

Raiden - the feature reads as one based around the coin op, with the home versions added on to pad the article out somewhat. No bad thing as some were rather good. But: Looking at the conversion capers box out, a few things jump out.
The SNES version seems to get off very lightly, it's widely considered to be 1 of the worst conversions. It's too easy, is sluggish to play, suffers chronic slowdown and has weak sound and animation.

Shaun Mcclure points out the Jaguar version's graphics are redrawn, but it would of been nice to hear why the sprites are smaller than the coin ops, some sprites like the cows had more detail than other sprites etc.

Also the Jaguar version is more sluggish than the coin op, lacks the fantastic ANIME sounding explosions and suffers slowdown espically in 2 player mode.
Attack patterns differ from coin op as well.

Kieren says the only real difference between the HU-Card and Super CD ROM PC ENGINE versions are the music, that's not correct.
The Super CD version has extra levels and bosses not found on the HU-Card version.
That's quite a big difference. How much actual playtime was spent on each version?

Actually, The PC version is smoother than the Jaguar version but lacks sound FX from the Jaguar version and existed in floppy and CD versions and the Playstation version offers a choice of the original coin op music or an arranged soundtrack.

Maybe I'm being picky - I've not read any other articles in the mag (except the Codemasters one) and I think I need to reread this Raiden one just to try and plug the holes. It does look nice though and it's good to see Kieren got to interview a few people involved with the conversions.

Next read is Space Invaders :)

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer issue 185

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:29 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:39 am
Finally turned up this morning (well, yesterday now). Some great stuff in there but out numbered by stuff I'm not interested in - personal taste not a problem with the mag.

The Codemasters article is brilliant! Love the little 'makings of' - I love Codemasters almost as much as Mastertronic.

Raiden - the feature reads as one based around the coin op, with the home versions added on to pad the article out somewhat. No bad thing as some were rather good. But: Looking at the conversion capers box out, a few things jump out.
The SNES version seems to get off very lightly, it's widely considered to be 1 of the worst conversions. It's too easy, is sluggish to play, suffers chronic slowdown and has weak sound and animation.

Shaun Mcclure points out the Jaguar version's graphics are redrawn, but it would of been nice to hear why the sprites are smaller than the coin ops, some sprites like the cows had more detail than other sprites etc.

Also the Jaguar version is more sluggish than the coin op, lacks the fantastic ANIME sounding explosions and suffers slowdown espically in 2 player mode.
Attack patterns differ from coin op as well.

Kieren says the only real difference between the HU-Card and Super CD ROM PC ENGINE versions are the music, that's not correct.
The Super CD version has extra levels and bosses not found on the HU-Card version.
That's quite a big difference. How much actual playtime was spent on each version?

Actually, The PC version is smoother than the Jaguar version but lacks sound FX from the Jaguar version and existed in floppy and CD versions and the Playstation version offers a choice of the original coin op music or an arranged soundtrack.

Maybe I'm being picky - I've not read any other articles in the mag (except the Codemasters one) and I think I need to reread this Raiden one just to try and plug the holes. It does look nice though and it's good to see Kieren got to interview a few people involved with the conversions.

Next read is Space Invaders :)
Unfortunately with the conversion capers part of the article space is very limited so I can't really go into massive detail on the many little differences, changes and suchlike of each port. As you alluded to already the article is essentially about the arcade version so that's where the focus was. I tried to pick out the main points as best as I could and point out what I felt were the best conversions. As for the interviews, again there is only so much you can include so I tried to put the answers that I thought people would find most interesting. The interview I did with Shaun was actually huge, so I cut it down quite considerably. The funny thing is that I wasn't even going to use an interview from him originally as I had one from one of the producers at Atari, but his was FAR more interesting so it went in. With that in mind I can expand further on some of the points you raised because Shaun did in fact talk about it.

This isn't quite verbatim as we spoke in person, but I have summarised these points for you. Shaun explained that they ripped all the graphics from the arcade board using a program that one of the Imagitec coders had created. The problem was that some of the graphics came out with the wrong colours, some were totally corrupted and others didn't fit the resolutions needed. So nearly all the sprites either had to be recoloured, resized or completely redrawn. What didn't help either was that Shaun was not the original artist, he was pulled in to "save" the project after the original guy made a complete hash of doing it. He told me that he managed to fix some of the other guys visuals but some he couldn't so he just redid them from scratch. There was a very strict time limit on getting the port finished as Atari needed it for launch and the mess ups by the previous artist had put them back somewhat. Shaun explained how he basically stayed up all night working on the new graphics and was sleeping in the office to get them done. He also gave a full witness account of hearing the other guy getting blasted by Martin Hooley both in a team meeting and a private follow up that they could all hear through the thin office walls and door! Not something that can be repeated in public, as I am sure you can imagine.

He wasn't a coder, neither did he have any insight in that area so he apologises that he can't go into more technical details about ripping the graphics or the way the game was coded. Martin Hooley did tell me though that while they were developing Raiden the original dev kit was on an Atari TT and was archaic at best and as the project moved on they changed to Atari Falcon's which were far better to use and they created their own tools to make things easier. He said that while he is very proud of the Jaguar port of Raiden, because it was the first one they did and also the first Jaguar game they did from scratch, they were very much still learning about the machine as they went. This would probably give some insight into why it wasn't perfect when perhaps it could have been.

Also, on one of the Facebook somebody was asking if I had any more info about the cancelled Atari Panther version, so I'll share that here too. Martin didn't go into a huge amount of detail but told me that they started work on a Panther version almost as soon as they got the dev kit but only completed about 1 or 2 levels to show Atari. Shortly after this the Panther was cancelled and they were first asked to put the game on the Falcon before being asked to do the Jaguar version too. The Falcon version, which was sadly never finished either, was apparently based upon the Panther code with the decision being made by Atari that the Jaguar port should be done from scratch. Despite this he said that assets were shared between all the versions they produced, although each one was tweaked for its respective platform based on the hardware constraints. I also asked him about Leonard Tramiel's claims that the Panther dev kits didn't work and so no games were ever programmed for it. He disputed this and said they definitely did work and Imagitec were asked to help evaluate them. He also said that the Panther dev kit was very buggy didn't always work as it should, but that Leonard wasn't really interested in listening to their feedback. He made some quite choice comments about how they didn't get on! He also told me that they were working on several games for the Panther in Dino Dudes, Raiden and third game that he couldn't remember, as he said it didn't really get anywhere, but he thinks might have been Daemonsgate, which certainly makes sense considering the time period and that they were also doing a Lynx port too.

I hope all this helps 8)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests