Which Dreamcast?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sega_MegaDive

Which Dreamcast?

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Interested in buying a Dreamcast for my collection. I see on ebay you can get NTSC Japan, NTSC USA, Pal or Region Free versions. I suppose Region Free sounds best but this is a console I know nothing about really.

What would any Dreamcast enthusiasts opinion be on which version to buy?

English Invader

Re: Which Dreamcast?

Post by English Invader » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:46 pm

It doesn't really matter that much. A PAL Dreamcast is capable of 50 and 60 Hz and you can use an Action Replay disc for imports but if you can get a region free console without breaking the bank go for it.

I would recommend getting an RGB Scart cable (especially if you get an NTSC system) because the picture will be a lot better. The Dreamcast was at least 3 years ahead of its time and some of the graphics on the system still hold up well today.

ant512

Post by ant512 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:28 am

Beware of version 2 NTSC (US) Dreamcasts. After a certain date Sega removed Mil-CD compatibility. Mil-CDs were karaoke discs. Supporting those gave the Dreamcast the helpful ability to boot standard CD-ROM discs.

If you ever want to play backups or homebrew, don’t get a V2 Dreamcast unless you’re certain it was built before the cutoff date.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:49 am

English Invader wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:46 pm

I would recommend getting an RGB Scart cable (especially if you get an NTSC system) because the picture will be a lot better. The Dreamcast was at least 3 years ahead of its time and some of the graphics on the system still hold up well today.
RGB Scart cable is great, but would you not go further and recommend the VGA adaptor? DC games look glorious through that, even today, super sharp. Also, it boots up PAL games like Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Fighter 3TB at full screen, 60hz mode - where as on both those PAL games theres no 50/60hz option otherwise (through standard video options like via rgb scart) as far as I can recall, and just runs in letterboxed PAL 50hz mode.

Still, useful to have an RGB cable for the tiny number of games that don't support VGA, like Resident Evil Code Veronica. (previously thought Hydro Thunder wouldn't boot up in VGA mode, but there is an easy trick around that, so it does run in 480p after all)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Depends on budget. Personally, I'd just buy any DC I could get at a price I thought fair. I go with PAL, as the games are (or were) easier to obtain locally. I do have a few NTSC games, but never play them from originals - since almost every DC can play from CD-R, I tend to play self bootable copies of my NTSC games rather than faff about with a boot disc to get things going. Scart is fine, but go for VGA connections if you can afford it and have a screen to support it (some TVs drop the VGA connection now). DC to HDMI cables are now available.

If money is no object, I'd look at some of the cool limited edition DCs, especially something like the Sports edition which is black so won't discolour the same as a regular DC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:48 pm

I love my Sega Sports Dreamcast. Its a shame about the dull logo really.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:37 am

I so miss my old Dreamcast, a machine so ahead of its time.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:11 am

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:37 am
I so miss my old Dreamcast, a machine so ahead of its time.
I'd argue otherwise. It was very much a throwback system, with not much in the way of modern games. Most of its catalogue is focused on arcadey gameplay. It fits a certain niche, but is missing a whole swathe of game styles prevalent on previous systems. I love it for what it does, but its failure is in part due to it not serving a wider audience (ignoring the whole lack of faith in the system in general due to the 32X/Mega CD/Saturn lack of support that preceded it, denting consumer faith in the brand).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 am

It depends on what the OP is planning to do
If hes gonna play CD-Rs just get a PAL one (or get a GD-EMU and sod discs) (If burning CD_Rs dont use cheap CDs)
For playing proper games get a region free one
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:49 am
RGB Scart cable is great, but would you not go further and recommend the VGA adaptor? DC games look glorious through that, even today, super sharp. Al

Still, useful to have an RGB cable for the tiny number of games that don't support VGA, like Resident Evil Code Veronica. (previously thought Hydro Thunder wouldn't boot up in VGA mode, but there is an easy trick around that, so it does run in 480p after all)
Basically get a VGA cable
Games that dont support VGA have been patched
It really makes the games look great
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:28 pm

The thing that killed the DC for me was that they didn't get Madden or FIFA ; in fact they got little from EA who were arguably the top third party publisher at that time. The lack of a DVD player was also a mistake, even if it would have added another £30-£50 to the cost.

They also seemed to want to sell the machines to Sega fans and not target the 'casual gamer' market that Sony had with the PS1. The thing is that with the Mega CD ,32x and Saturn Sega had alienated their fans in a way that Nintendo never had. So fans of Nintendo had their N64s (and maybe a PS1 for Final Fantasy and Ridge Racer) , Sega fans had gone over to Sony or PC - so who was Sega's main market? Pissed off Sega fans who were enjoying the likes of Tekken, Ridge Racer, FIFA and Madden - and who were anticipating the backwardly-compatible PS2 with a DVD.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:19 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:28 pm
The thing that killed the DC for me was that they didn't get Madden or FIFA ; in fact they got little from EA who were arguably the top third party publisher at that time.
The Dreamcast didn't get anything from EA but the SWS and NFL games Sega released in their place were good and more than made up for it.

And a game like Metropolis Street Racer is worth a million Need for Speeds IMO.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 pm

English Invader wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:19 pm
paranoid marvin wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:28 pm
The thing that killed the DC for me was that they didn't get Madden or FIFA ; in fact they got little from EA who were arguably the top third party publisher at that time.
The Dreamcast didn't get anything from EA but the SWS and NFL games Sega released in their place were good and more than made up for it.

And a game like Metropolis Street Racer is worth a million Need for Speeds IMO.

MSR was indeed worth a million NFS; but Ridge Racer was worth a million MSRs. SWS was really not great, and nowhere near as good as FIFA (and even further from PES), although NFL 2k was a Madden beater (so much so that EA bought exclusivity rights to the NFL).

Anyway by this stage Madden and FIFA were the staple diet of many millions of people, and they were highly unlikely to change brands. What were the games that really kickstarted the MD? Madden and (possibly to a lesser extent) FIFA as well as Road Rash, the Strike games etc - EA games. The thing is , it didn't matter if the games were better or not, game fans wanted EA titles; they could get them on the PS1 and N64, but not the DC.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:00 am

Update: I picked myself up a PAL Dreamcast for £50 which I thought was ok. I also picked up the steering wheel (black with red buttons version) and a copy of Daytona.
Absolutley great fun !

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Someone's off to a ROOOOOOOOOLLLLLIN' STAAAAAAAAAAAART. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:48 pm

Enjoy!