Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

WaveRacer

Re: Nintendo shut down Emuparadise.

Post by WaveRacer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:30 pm
WaveRacer wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:36 pm
But like you said, you think the NES mini is a waste of money because you have access to all the roms for free,

Which is exactly my point, the existence and easily available Roms devalues products such as the nes mini in your eyes.

If illegal roms and emulators never existed, then more than likely people like yourself would think the NES or Snes mini was good value.

Its not just Nintendo though, Look at how many people have said they would not buy the genesis collection because they have The roms for free. Even though 50 plus games ona single dis is superb value.

Like I said, illegal Roms and Emulators devalues the IP.
If the ROMs didnt exist a lot of games would be lost and nobody would even bother trying to play a lot of them hidden gems
If anything these ROMs give people a taster of the games before buying, after playing a few games via emulation I ended up getting a hold of the game where as otherwise id of just not even bothered to try it
Different argument. People talk about the preservation of games and they would not be able to play them anywhere else, But then when nintendo make them available, What do people do, cry and moan that they have to pay for them and they will just carry on using free roms anyway.

Sort of completely destroys the argument people use when they say they only use roms because the games are not available.

Bottom line is, that Nintendo are removing pirated and illegal versions of games from the internet that they currently have available at retail. There is no argument you can make in any way to say Nintendo are wrong, and people threatening to boycott them are being pathetic.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 pm

Wanting all of them removed rather than the small amount they have for download or on the minis.
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:41 am
pratty wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm
As others have said we will value these games more, we'll play games more thoroughly to get our money's worth out of games we've legally bought, and these games will be talked about and celebrated more. I remember when Super Metroid was released for the Wii U e-shop, while the release was perhaps strategically held back by Nintendo, when it came out suddenly there was a lot of interest in the game and franchise in general. People were playing it at the same time, making videos on youtube and talking about it on forums.
I personally think that in the 'dark times' of say the early-mid 90's when there was no emulation these old games (NES etc) were just sat there gathering dust. Due to emulation this got more and more popular and suddenly the companies thought 'theres money to be made in these old games' so they started re releasing them for modern platforms. So to me emulation helped spark this huge boom (and so did the internet as suddenly we all realised 'damn theres lots of other people who love these old classics'). The huge rise in emulation has helped trigger tons of companies re-releasing games, Retro Gamer being out, all these shows you now get compared to the old days where you had the odd one. Emulation has obviously been great for sparking off the scene. Look at MAME cabs etc, Arcade Club, the scenes huge.

I have friends who wouldnt go near emulation JUST because they dont want to 'faff' about with it all, they're very happy with compilations or a handheld device with 25 games etc so i do believe us old emulation fans have helped all of this a ton.
I would never say there hasn't been an upside. But let's ask ourselves why games sit there gathering dust? It's because we have other games to play. The unplayed roms on a hard drive effectively gather virtual dust so to speak. So to answer the initial querstion of where this news leaves the "retro scene", yes a reduction in illegal rom emulation in general may impact the average retro gamer's ability to own/experience all of the games, but we may actually value the games we do play more.
psj3809 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:41 am
Personally I think emulation and official compilations can both 'live together'.
I think so too, but rom users will have to accept the resulting inconveniences of playing games outside of the proper legal means.
Matt_B wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 am
On the other hand, if they're going to persist in selling Balloon Fight and the like for $6 a download... erm, best not to expect too many takers there.
How much should an old rom cost? I suspect Nintendo don't expect Balloon fight to sell as well as Mario, but Nintendo generally use a set price for each system with some exceptions. If they were to price on the general percieved quality of an individual game then they may ask us to pay £50 on that basis, for games like Super Mario World and Ocarina Of Time, seeing as many regard them as the best game of all time. So I can happily live with a game like Balloon Fight (a game I wouldn't touch with a barge pole anyway) costing £3.49 on the Wii U, if I can play a universally accalimed classic like Super Mario Bros. 3 for the same price.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 pm
Wanting all of them removed rather than the small amount they have for download or on the minis.
Does anyone actually know what Nintendo games Nintendo are not actively monetising, or have not recently monetised? I can't think of many glaring omissions so it just the obscurities, that are probably crap anyway, like Virtual Boy games? Maybe they are doing us a favour? :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:09 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Have they actually done that though? Emuparadise haven't shared the C&D that they received, and that would be an usual request from Nintendo. In general, unless other parties ask to be represented by their lawyers, they've no legal right to do that and precedents have been set to that effect.

From the LoveROMs case, where we have seen some of the paperwork, it's pretty clear that Nintendo are only demanding compensation for their commercial losses due to infringements of their IP, i.e. basically your second option. At least, I can't see how they could quantify commercial losses from games that aren't even theirs or that they're not currently selling in any form.

Most likely, I'd think that Emuparadise are stopping hosting entirely in order to protect themselves from legal action by other parties.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:11 am

pratty wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Does anyone actually know what Nintendo games Nintendo are not actively monetising, or have not recently monetised? I can't think of many glaring omissions so it just the obscurities, that are probably crap anyway, like Virtual Boy games? Maybe they are doing us a favour? :lol:
Yeah, there's not really that much of value that they could be selling. There are a few good games that are currently in limbo because Nintendo don't own the full rights to them and they include Tetris, Popeye and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out but that's not really their fault.

The catch is that you'd need to have a Wii, a Wii U and a 3DS to get at the full library and that's two dead consoles and one that's on life support. There's hardly anything available on the Switch and that needs to change.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:13 am

The Switch online subscription service launches next month, with 20 NES titles from the off and more games to be added. Hopefully not their usual drip feed, we could do with them chucking everything on there. At the price, its a no brainer, costing mere pennies a week.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:13 am
The Switch online subscription service launches next month, with 20 NES titles from the off and more games to be added. Hopefully not their usual drip feed, we could do with them chucking everything on there. At the price, its a no brainer, costing mere pennies a week.
Yeah, it's a start, but they need to be doing so much more. When they're mostly the same games as the NES Classic, it rather comes across as them trying to sell us something that many of us already own, yet again.

Still, if we come back in a year's time and it's more like 100 games across all their older platforms, that'd be more like it.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:51 pm

One thing I don't get about Emuparadise is why they're stopping now after 18 years in the hope of amnesty from Nintendo. Do they really think "I'm sorry, sir. I won't do it again. Please don't give me detention" would protect them after all this time?

My opinion is that if Nintendo (or anyone else) wanted to sue they would have done it years ago and the reason why Love Roms got stung was because they were actively marketing roms and emulators which most of the rom sites didn't do.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:46 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Not all Virtual boy games are crap

It was probably the first party stuff, they just want a blanket ban on them all

Did a game footage stream once (Unmoniterised), 3 hours of it, Nintendo blocked it for a 10 second clip of Mario 3
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Went on the ISOzone to get some Dreamcast homebrew

On the main page
"Due to the actions of certain members of the community; coupled with the recent decision to remove all download links, I have decided to end support for this website.

Sorry a group of bad apples had to spoil it for the rest of you. Hopefully a new community will emerge soon.

-JaMbo87"
Oh dicks

Generally it was a great site to get a lot of things from, from game OSTs to mags, to homebrew to ROMs/ISOs

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:17 am

One site goes down, another will pop up shortly. I hope its nothing to worry about.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:17 am
One site goes down, another will pop up shortly. I hope its nothing to worry about.
A replacement popped up and went down again

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:25 am

It's one thing to declare that roms are illegal, or for a company not to give permission for free access, and another to actively pursue those who host the roms.

Can you blame a company for wanting to stop others from giving their stuff away free - especially when that company is still selling it? Of course it also means that the company are stopping games they AREN'T selling commercially being made available; but if Nintendo say that only certain games/roms should be removed, they are effectively condoning the downloading of their software - obviously something they don't want to do.

The question is would lots more SNES/NES minis have been sold if people didn't have the rom? Probably not, they would still have sold out . There's a big difference between playing SMW on PC and playing it using a proper controller via the mini. If anything, those with access to the roms may be MORE likely to buy one because those able to use emulators and roms probably also can hack their new Nintendo machines to add extra games.

One positive thing with emulators and having roms available online is that software companies have to come up with new and interesting ways to get punters to part with their cash. Sticking a couple dozen games on a disc won't cut it. Tbe Activision Anthology that came out a few years ago was a fantastic way to represent those old titles, and machines like the minis are equally innovative and fun.

So I don't think it gains companies much by actively going after sites that illegally host their games - especially not huge companies like Nintendo - but I can't crticise or blame them in any way if that is what they decide to do.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"