Nintendo shut down Emuparadise.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Nintendo shut down Emuparadise.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 am

HdE wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am
The backlash against them from consumers is going to be all too real, I think. I appreciate that words don't always translate into deeds, but it's INSANE how many folks on social media are pledging to boycott Nintendo products in the wake of all this.
Pirate's gonna pirate.

Nintendo don't care.

Those using ROM sites are a tiny minority of their customer base, if they are customers at all.

It's a long worn argument, and we've been here before. People are quick to forget the lapse in Nintendo issuing cease and desists is a fairly new thing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:12 am

HdE wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am

The backlash against them from consumers is going to be all too real, I think. I appreciate that words don't always translate into deeds, but it's INSANE how many folks on social media are pledging to boycott Nintendo products in the wake of all this.

It's sad to see so many folkss online quick to dismiss preservation as an excuse for piracy. I don't believe it's that simple at all. Some of those sites, whether by design or not, were serving as an archive for games that wil almost certainly never see an official release again. And when such things are wiped out of existence, it's a blow to video games as an art form.
Anyone that wanted ROMs can still find them or already have them

A lot of ROM sites are dodgy, add filled, links to mirror sites that force you to wait half an hour before you can down load a 11mb file or locked behind a pay wall with scamware infused pop ups

Few actually host on there own server
You cant call them preservation sites, more like using other peoples work for profit, like those prigs on Ebay that sell flash drives and Raspberry pis LOADED WITH 100000 GAMES (most that are clones)

Then you get legit ones that are there for preservation (Archive comes to mind) and sites that try to track down elusive games for such an archive (Beta64 CTW)

On this subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XnIqWI ... D&index=47

Interesting reading

"Video games as an art form"
In that case FIfa/COD are the picture of that tennis player scratching her arse
Most indie stuff is Divantart

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:28 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:12 am
"Video games as an art form"
In that case FIfa/COD are the picture of that tennis player scratching her arse.
Thanks for that. I've lost half my cheese sandwich now!

Lots of good points raised in response to my last post. Sadly, I think there's a great deal of truth in them. I doubt Nintendo, or any other larger entity in the modern industry is going to worry overmuch in the face of thretened boycotts or angry words. Unless that translates into loss of money for them, they'll just do as they will. And, to be blunt, so long as they can claim a legal entitlement to do so, why should we expect them to do anything different?

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 'games as art' argument, though. Yes, we have a ton of dross out there (I wouldn't include Call of Duty games in that bracket, mind - their campaigns are usually very well put together.) But we also have a lot of stuff that geninely makes a case for games as an expressive medium. They've developed now to a point where they allow for stylistic execution and genuinely complex narratives. We've come a long way since the days of the Atari VCS and its chunky pixels. Games tell stories now! And you could even say that the development of modern games today actually breathes new life into those older ones, making them stand out as not ncessarily inferior, but different. That's where the appeal lies, surely?

The part that chafes at me in a turn of events like this is that the industry seems to care very little about preserving those. Yeah, we get HD remasters and endlessly regurgitated versions of past hits, but only EVER when it's deemed likely to make bank for the provider. With the games biz being as forward moving and profit focused as any other branch of the entertainment industries, that pattern simply doesn't cater to folks with a specific taste for older, more obscure titles.

The trouble is, this issue is already turning into a many headed beast. Is piracy the answer? No, I don't think so. But neither is IP holders sitting on items they legally own with no intention of ever utilising them. Folks are starting to cotton on to the idea that they're being asked to put their hands in their pockets over and over again to play certain beloved, older games on newer consoles and resenting it. Asking prices are also an issue. Several Youtubers I regularly watch have already stated that 'any more than a single buck for an old NES game in an online store is too much.' Or words to that effect.

Now, I'm not saying that I hold any of these particular positions as my own. But I do find the mix of ideas we've got bubbling in the pot on this one very interesting.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:43 pm

You do get the odd company keeping its out put

This is Sega of Americas vault

Now if only they would rerealese a lot of it

In some cases (like some Amiga collectors) some people have the one and only copy of something and wont share
Floppy discs are due to die out

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:51 pm

We do have companies like GoG.com making headway in bringing old games to the masses.

True, it hasn't ventured much into the console world, but its a start, and I assume a profitable one after all this time as they're still in business.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:51 pm
We do have companies like GoG.com making headway in bringing old games to the masses.

True, it hasn't ventured much into the console world, but its a start, and I assume a profitable one after all this time as they're still in business.
Thing is, they dont have a lot of PC games, just what the companies want the to bung out
In the case of a lot of arcade games they dont own the license

You have people like the Lazy games reviews guy (Clint?) that tries to get every PC game and backs them up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2TjTgG3LaA

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Nintendo have every right to do this now they are releasing the games gain. Romsites devalue the product.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:18 pm

WaveRacer wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm
Nintendo have every right to do this now they are releasing the games gain. Romsites devalue the product.
Not all, thats the problem people are having

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 pm

I watched Jim Sterling's vid on this. While I didn't disagree with everything he said, there was an entitled tone to much of the video, as though if a game exists, however obscure, then gamers should have the right to be able to play it, and at their convenience.

Actually Nintendo aren't doing much to stop people playing their older games, they are not stopping people from buying the original hanrdware and software and a CRT TV and having at it. The people making this difficult are gamers, for hoarding rare games and only selling them at a high price.

And Nintendo have shown they are willing to respond to sufficient demand. There were the 3 RPG's released for the Wii in Japan at the end of the Wii's lifespan, which Nintendo localised once they were convinced by Western gamer demand it was worth their while. I believe they have also done second runs of the Mini NES and SNES consoles.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Nintendo need to concentrate on the Switch and try to get back the momentum they've lost with it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 pm
Nintendo need to concentrate on the Switch and try to get back the momentum they've lost with it.
I wouldn't argue with that, but sending out a handful of C&D letters to obviously infringing sites probably isn't distracting them from that task too much.

HdE

Post by HdE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:42 am

WaveRacer wrote:
I think the flipside to this is that a lot of folks are becoming resentful of being asked to pay for the privilege of playing old games they already paid for when they originally released. Plus, it's the same games from a narrow selection each time.

This raises an interesting point as well. I know folks who passed on the NES Mini on the grounds that it 'only' had 30 games preloaded, and of those 30 games, a large number didn't appeal. That in turn has led to some rather disdainful opinions I've heard about the unit.

Folks who have hacked the NES Mini have found they can add HUNDREDS of games to it. Which begs the question: if the scope was there for Nintendo to provide more, why didn't they? Sure, the RRP would have likely gone up, but it would have been worth it to some folks.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 pm

HdE wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:42 am
WaveRacer wrote:
I think the flipside to this is that a lot of folks are becoming resentful of being asked to pay for the privilege of playing old games they already paid for when they originally released. Plus, it's the same games from a narrow selection each time.
They don't have to pay again. They could still play the games they bought first time round. But, ah, they sold them. So where's the problem? Just sounds like greed, wanting to play something they no longer own through their own actions.
WaveRacer wrote:
This raises an interesting point as well. I know folks who passed on the NES Mini on the grounds that it 'only' had 30 games preloaded, and of those 30 games, a large number didn't appeal. That in turn has led to some rather disdainful opinions I've heard about the unit.

Folks who have hacked the NES Mini have found they can add HUNDREDS of games to it. Which begs the question: if the scope was there for Nintendo to provide more, why didn't they? Sure, the RRP would have likely gone up, but it would have been worth it to some folks.
This could have been an easier fix. If they'd made the cart slots on the minis active, they could have sold additional plug in bundles of games.

A large part of the problem is just that Nintendo don't own that many games, many of the big hitters for NES/SNES were by third parties, which they have no control over.

HdE

Post by HdE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 pm
This could have been an easier fix. If they'd made the cart slots on the minis active, they could have sold additional plug in bundles of games.

A large part of the problem is just that Nintendo don't own that many games, many of the big hitters for NES/SNES were by third parties, which they have no control over.
[/quote]

And yet the NES Classic Mini contains a few very notable third party games. Pac Man, Ninja Gaiden, Galaga, Mega Man 2, Castlevania and Castlevania II, Gradius, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Super C, Double Dragon II...

This kind of thing comes down more, I suspect, to how cordial a relationship Nintendo has with the original developers, how charitable they feel about including specific games on such a device, and of course, cold hard cash money.

I'd expect the biggest reason for Nintendo not making those consoles expandable right out of the box is simply down to their other plans. Putting out an affordable device that gave folks the option to pick up a load of titles already sold on ther virtual console or eshop doesn't make sense. So better to put it out as a novelty item and make other games available digitally via their console du jour - be it the Wii U, 3DS or Switch.

The only snag is, if you want to play the same game across all three systems, you have to pay for it three times over. You can't tell me rational individuals are happy with that state of affairs.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Which is pretty much what I said earlier in the thread.