Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

The Laird

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 am
Interesting reading !

I can imagine it’ll stop being shipped soon. I still wouldn’t mind trying one as I don’t believe there’ll be any money for refunds or that.

There is that positive video but that’s from Jan who is very pro-RCL so I won’t quite believe that. Very sad to hear about the abuse he’s received for supporting it though, heard a few cases like that. Be interesting if there’s more reviews or videos soon
Pro-RCL? :lol:

He's an RCL employee. This was confirmed by David Levy himself in an official court document.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:07 pm

The Laird wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm
psj3809 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 am
Interesting reading !

I can imagine it’ll stop being shipped soon. I still wouldn’t mind trying one as I don’t believe there’ll be any money for refunds or that.

There is that positive video but that’s from Jan who is very pro-RCL so I won’t quite believe that. Very sad to hear about the abuse he’s received for supporting it though, heard a few cases like that. Be interesting if there’s more reviews or videos soon
Pro-RCL? :lol:

He's an RCL employee. This was confirmed by David Levy himself in an official court document.
Fair enough. Didn’t know that. Weren’t some of the twitter trolls associated with one of the ex directors ? Just don’t know what to believe on both sides

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:08 pm

According to Lee Fogarty they were all Suzanne and he claims he has proof.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:14 pm

On the whole, I'd prefer not to get into the "he said, she said" stuff.

What's objectively verifiable fact seems damning enough for the current RCL directors, and I'd think that Leo Kelion's aforementioned article on the BBC gives a pretty good summary of what we definitely know on the eve of the next shareholders meeting.

Edit: If anyone really really wants one, you can get it here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sinclair-ZX ... 2664410957

Personally, I'll be giving it a miss myself.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:08 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:14 pm
On the whole, I'd prefer not to get into the "he said, she said" stuff.

What's objectively verifiable fact seems damning enough for the current RCL directors, and I'd think that Leo Kelion's aforementioned article on the BBC gives a pretty good summary of what we definitely know on the eve of the next shareholders meeting.

Edit: If anyone really really wants one, you can get it here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sinclair-ZX ... 2664410957

Personally, I'll be giving it a miss myself.
Well, they can't complain...apart from the timeframe of course...they've made money on it already and still time to add more.

I must start myself a crowdfunder thing- People just seem really keen to give their money away :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:17 am

Ha ha fair play to that bloke on ebay for getting that figure already for it !

Emailed them to say i'll have a non-games one but as always no reply. @Kiwimike - I dont think people want to give their money away ;), obviously go back to Feb 2015 or whenever it was when it started and things looked promising when the kickstarter arrived. But kickstarters/indiegogo's etc, always that risk with these things

What with the Elite keyboard fiasco and now this i'm a bit nervous of new Speccy hardware now !

Gutted about the controls (from what i've read). The early Vega i tried had stiff buttons and wasnt great, IF they had sorted this issue out i could possibly be okay with it but still no PDF or anything on how to load games or that. Would have been interested to have read it

Oh well, some people said it would never appear, it' kinda' has but not in a positive way so far !

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:24 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:17 am
Ha ha fair play to that bloke on ebay for getting that figure already for it !

Emailed them to say i'll have a non-games one but as always no reply. @Kiwimike - I dont think people want to give their money away ;), obviously go back to Feb 2015 or whenever it was when it started and things looked promising when the kickstarter arrived. But kickstarters/indiegogo's etc, always that risk with these things

What with the Elite keyboard fiasco and now this i'm a bit nervous of new Speccy hardware now !

Gutted about the controls (from what i've read). The early Vega i tried had stiff buttons and wasnt great, IF they had sorted this issue out i could possibly be okay with it but still no PDF or anything on how to load games or that. Would have been interested to have read it

Oh well, some people said it would never appear, it' kinda' has but not in a positive way so far !
Oh yeah- I should emphasise I was not making fun of backers when I was joking about people wanting to give their money away! I have nothing but complete empathy for the poor buggers who pledged in good faith and waited two years through such shabby treatment to ultimately be screwed over. I was referring to the eBay bidders stupid enough to bid large sums on an item that a quick google will tell em what it's like! :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:38 am

Well i think the people bidding on the ebay one probably think its all going to end in tears so they will have a mini bit of history - which i could actually see being worth a bit more IF it all stops soon so only say 40 are out in the wild.

But then again thats ebay and the internet ! People bidding crazy money on a sealed game (which might not even work !) or people watching a video of someone unboxing something !

Remember the crazy prices of Issue 1 of Retro Gamer (was it £140 ?), cant believe someone bought it for that price. A month later ebay was flooded with issue 1's all going cheaper

merman

Post by merman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:23 pm

So it's not even an official Spectrum product now.

A disaster from day one.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Here's the video you've all been waiting for!

A full review and overview of the doomed Sinclair ZX Vega+ Handheld!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9i2aBPKiRw

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:26 pm

The Laird wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Watched that earlier and enjoyed (if that's the right word, given the circumstances?) seeing how dreadfully it turned out. If that isn't a production prototype, then I'll eat my hat. Except I won't, because I'm not a hat person and I don't even own one.

The whole thing's taken a real turn with Sky nixing any kind of Sinclair branding, hasn't it? Gotta say, my interest in this has gone from feeling bad for the backers (although, I should add, I obviously still DO feel bad for them) to a kind of morbid curiosity about what happens with RCL now.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:58 pm

It seems that Sinclair Research chose to abstain, so the current RCL directors stay in place.

Ah well, I guess they got they wanted out of sending those dodgy machines out, even if nobody else did.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:37 am

The Laird wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks for that, watched several of the brief ones, interesting to see a more in depth review of it.

Wow. I would hope that is an arse covering attempt and prototypes sent out...as that would be close to the worst handheld unit I have ever seen. I've bought quite a few cheap ones at times- the Sega one you had there as well, various NES playing clones...all of which varied in price from 5 to 25 quid. All look better quality than that. That is just insulting for 100 pounds- especially when quoting RCL who claimed it would come out, it would be brilliant, and would exceed expectations.

The last unit I bought from Ali was a unit just called 'Retro Game' - for around 25quid. Legal elements aside with the 800+ titles in from Neo Geo through the Nintendos and Segas...the build quality, the buttons, the finish...all kick this things arse. It's just terrible. They should be ashamed of themselves. Yet one gets the feeling they are probably quite proud they threw a few out to the public and smug they have delayed further action once again.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 am

That isn't a prototype, I had previously played on one of those and it was far better than this horrendous monstrosity. I have also had a play with an additional unit now too, which was the same as this but with an even more flickery screen.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:39 am

The Laird wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 am
That isn't a prototype, I had previously played on one of those and it was far better than this horrendous monstrosity. I have also had a play with an additional unit now too, which was the same as this but with an even more flickery screen.
It's obviously not the same as the previous prototypes that have been doing the rounds, but at the same time it's almost certainly not being mass produced so to also describe it as a prototype seems appropriate.

For what it's worth, there was an even earlier prototype demonstrated by Chris Smith prior to the crowdfunding campaign, that you can see here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89823678@ ... 247094916/