Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

Matt_B

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 am

I'm still sceptical that they'll have sent out more than a handful of these and think it's most likely a last-ditch attempt to stave off being dismissed at the next shareholders meeting this week.

After all, they've only said that 400 of them are going out (never mind the other 4000-odd orders) and they've shown no evidence that anything more than a few small batches of prototypes - most likely no more than 40 in total - exist.

So far, a grand total of two have ended up in backers hands - that can be confirmed by posts to social media - and maybe we'll see a few more by Thursday. However, if the vast majority of the lucky 400 find that they've gone missing in the post, that'll only become apparent after the meeting at which point any new management can be smeared for their non-arrival.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:19 am

Has anyone compared what was delivered with the available material on the prototypes? I'd be very surprised if this isn't just them throwing the protos in the post to a few people as just another stalling tactic.

Even if it is just prototypes going out, I hope you get one PSJ. It's an interesting (though for all the wrong reasons) bit of Spectrum history.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 am

They appear to look very much like the prototypes.

On a video posted to Youtube, the "lucky" owner lists the faults with the machine and it's lack of packaging/instructions/etc.

I'll be very surprised if more than a dozen end up in the wild.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:19 am
Has anyone compared what was delivered with the available material on the prototypes? I'd be very surprised if this isn't just them throwing the protos in the post to a few people as just another stalling tactic.

Even if it is just prototypes going out, I hope you get one PSJ. It's an interesting (though for all the wrong reasons) bit of Spectrum history.
I mean its bad how they sent it. Even if they have no money left surely a jiffy bag ? I 'hope' we see more videos soon, just want to see what the actual controls are like or will it just be a static ornament on my retro shelf forever ! Big shame as like i've said before that one i tried in Feb at Blackpool was pretty cool. This latest one doesnt look as good, time will tell

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:43 am

I actually want one now! The 12-odd protos they'll send out to placate the angry hordes will likely become worth a fortune in the near future.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:28 am

[quote=psj3809
I mean its bad how they sent it. Even if they have no money left surely a jiffy bag ? I 'hope' we see more videos soon, just want to see what the actual controls are like or will it just be a static ornament on my retro shelf forever ! Big shame as like i've said before that one i tried in Feb at Blackpool was pretty cool. This latest one doesnt look as good, time will tell
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but I think you are being wildly optimistic if you think we are going to have anything on our shelves, there is too much evidence almost nothing has been made.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 am

adippm82 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:28 am
I'm sorry, but I think you are being wildly optimistic if you think we are going to have anything on our shelves, there is too much evidence almost nothing has been made.
I've been optimistic for quite some time I admit ! I'm surprised theres no other videos of it, the only one we've got is from some user where its their first video (NOT saying its fake or that) just find it a bit strange. On the other hand you had people swear blind they would never see the light of day so if thats the case they may be wrong.

My optimism has dwindled a lot, specially the last few weeks where everytime i thought 'hey it might happen' it then just seemed to be 'fake news' no doubt to keep creditors/indiegogo at bay. Never had an email about anything either

I've said for ages if it was all happening show us a pile of them, show us a pile of boxes etc etc or just basically a video of one in action ! Everytime they tease a video its a badly made video with effects from the 80's which doesnt help. If they really were sending 400 then you would surely show a picture of lots of them etc. Crazy saga !

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:46 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:27 am
Come on fella you wouldnt be positive no matter what they did !
I would if it was actually any good!

But there are now 4 confirmed deliveries from people and all 4 have said its abysmal!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:22 pm

Doesn’t sound good. Surely he asked for the unit without games though so that’s why he received it so early. That’s one thing to I can’t moan much about. But so far doesn’t sound good

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:01 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:22 pm
Doesn’t sound good. Surely he asked for the unit without games though so that’s why he received it so early. That’s one thing to I can’t moan much about. But so far doesn’t sound good
Nope. He never requested a blank unit, neither did some of the others who received them.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:58 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:01 pm
psj3809 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:22 pm
Nope. He never requested a blank unit, neither did some of the others who received them.
Fair enough then. Strange he got one ! I'll be quite happy with a near enough blank unit (As long as i get the instructions on how to add the games in the correct format !) but that doesnt seem to be released yet which isnt great !

I would rather get the 'blank' one as i think the one with all the 1000 games or that will take quite some time to arrive. 'Some' people kept contacting devs to get their games off to cause issues so i can see this just going on and on regarding the games. I was always going to put on the games i wanted for sure so wouldnt mind giving that a go. How good/easy it'll be who knows !!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 pm

I'd suggest that anyone who gets one should hang on to them, even if they're essentially designer paperweights and useless for playing games on. They'll doubtless be very rare and collectable in the future.

As before, I seriously doubt that there'll be as many of them as 400 though.

Oh, and their excuse for the lack of packaging? It's "ethical" apparently, which is rather ironic given the way that they've behaved.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:43 am

Yeah day by day my 'hope' level is dwindling fast. Again if they were going to send out 400 then surely you would have a picture of tons of them or something. Their facebook account seems very quiet, i would be swinging from the rooftops if after all this i was about to ship 400+.

Half gave up quite a long time ago, if i get something it 'might' be a bonus, if not you live and learn. Done alright on kickstarters/indiegogo's recently apart from this one. Gave up on the last second to the Elite keyboard fiasco which was a relief

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:21 am

And now Sky have taken a stand as RCL are using the Sinclair branding without permission: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45024267

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 am

Interesting reading !

I can imagine it’ll stop being shipped soon. I still wouldn’t mind trying one as I don’t believe there’ll be any money for refunds or that.

There is that positive video but that’s from Jan who is very pro-RCL so I won’t quite believe that. Very sad to hear about the abuse he’s received for supporting it though, heard a few cases like that. Be interesting if there’s more reviews or videos soon