Save our forum!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Save our forum!

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:53 pm

Like deleting their user account when they still want to view a members only forum?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:04 pm

I'll be straight up and say that when this forum adopted its new rules, I decided (and said) that I would leave and not come back as I didn't agree with it. That said, I guess I lied (as Arnie famously says to Sully in Commando!) because I check the games section on here a couple of times a week of late and I've made some posts here and then when a topic has interested me enough. I post most frequently on Retro Canteen now but there are still several people who only post here and whose opinions/posts I'd miss reading. People such as dste, Blackridge (is he still around?), Shiftytigger, Shadowman and the mighty Shinobi to name just a few.

Then over on Retro Canteen, I just enjoy the more 'free' nature of the place and others who are now only over there such as selfeena, beans, koopa, aztecca, silvergunner etc.

But overall, I think I'm very much simply talked-out about gaming and (especially) retro in general. As others have said, most topics have been done to death and most questions have been asked. When I first signed up to RG, it was amazing. When you were involved in multiple dicussions at once, it was sometimes a struggle to keep up with all of the new posts. The - shall we say - heated debates were always entertaining too with some of the more crazy threads spawning 10+ pages of replies overnight. Trading and selling was fantastic too and I've had so many great deals and not to mention incredible freebies from people on here. The genorosity has truly been stunning over the years and I'd like to think that I've given back as much as I can. Even now I'd be happy to help anybody out in any way I can.

But as much as there is still good discussion, I find myself no longer able to add anything new or - more likely - simply not interested enough to read the same stuff again or make the same responses. It's no fault of relative newbies either and I actually envy their position where they are just getting started, getting involved in a community of like-minded people with lots that they want to say. After a bit you just feel like you've said it all and I personally have a lot less motivation to even get involved in long-winded back-and-forths. I know that Seph for instance enjoys a good political/social debate over on the 'Canteen and since I disagree with him on a great many subjects, I am guilty of biting at the hook now and then but there are many times when I simply can't be bothered because I end up thinking "what is the point?" We have our differing standpoints and nobody will want to concede a defeat in a debate.

I do often contemplate just getting out of forums altogether but where many are really into the likes of Facebook and Twitter for their discussion, forums are my drug and as much as I'm saying that I'm all talked out, I can't resist checking in to my usual haunts. It's a shame because this forum in particular is the one where I've been most active over the years and got the most out of. So many games, systems and pieces of information came to my attention from discussions on here but there's only so much you can absorb before it becomes difficult to get much more out of any forum. I'm no longer interested in Retro Collect because - as Laird says - it's mostly discussion about collecting full sets and all that stuff (which I'm no longer interested in). I'm also a member of a car forum but I'm still a relative newbie over there in among people with long-established connections so it's difficult to WANT to start out from scratch again and 'work my way up'.

Anyway, I think I've lost the point I was trying to make if there was one. All I've done is contradict myself by claiming that I'm all talked out then putting together a massive post :lol: If anybody sees this and thinks "Christ - what a load of waffle" then 100% won't blame them!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 am
Shinobi wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:20 pm
Just viewing Retro Canteen and I can’t see the forums looks like I’ve been banned for some reason.
It's just locked to anybody that isn't signed up as a member, Shin. Has been for a while now I think. I don't personally agree a forum should be set up like that but an influx of joke/spam/troll accounts ages ago encouraged the decision.
I wanted to copy and paste my Mindfighter book review to text to a friend, to lazy to type out again. Seems strange the forum being hidden, surely people will registering fake usernames to view a locked forum. When I was active there was about 90 members David Brent, Steve Davis, Mr Burns and Krusty Davis, as well as Krusty and Karnov where allegedly members. Maybe 6 members posting.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:57 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Just viewing Retro Canteen and I can’t see the forums looks like I’ve been banned for some reason.
It's just locked to anybody that isn't signed up as a member, Shin. Has been for a while now I think. I don't personally agree a forum should be set up like that but an influx of joke/spam/troll accounts ages ago encouraged the decision.
I wanted to copy and paste my Mindfighter book review to text to a friend, to lazy to type out again. Seems strange the forum being hidden, surely people will registering fake usernames to view a locked forum. When I was active there was about 90 members David Brent, Steve Davis, Mr Burns and Krusty Davis, as well as Krusty and Karnov where allegedly members. Maybe 6 members posting.
If you want me to copy + paste your review into a PM for you then I'd be happy to do so (if you'd still like to get at it for your friend).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:00 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

If you want me to copy + paste your review into a PM for you then I'd be happy to do so (if you'd still like to get at it for your friend).
That will be brilliant :D If you don’t mind

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:11 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:

I've had a look and the only book review I can see that you've done is for 'Art of Atari' unless you posted it somewhere else outside of the book review section?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:23 am

Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Yeah exactly!

I was only popping in there from time to time to read PMs from people anyway, as had long got bored of the constant arguing and general nastiness. I stopped posting altogether after the pictures of my family were posted there.

Then Marco moaned about me just being there as a spy and not posting so I just deleted my account as people know where to find me. And this was after he saw a post from me on here while he was spying on RG, oh the irony :lol:

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:26 am

The Laird wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:23 am
Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

Yeah exactly!

I was only popping in there from time to time to read PMs from people anyway, as had long got bored of the constant arguing and general nastiness. I stopped posting altogether after the pictures of my family were posted there.

Then Marco moaned about me just being there as a spy and not posting so I just deleted my account as people know where to find me. And this was after he saw a post from me on here while he was spying on RG, oh the irony :lol:
Like meeting the man of your dreams.Then meting his beautiful wife.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:19 am

The Laird wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:23 am
Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

Yeah exactly!

Same with me I only stayed to keep in contact with Megamixer and Rodimus Prime. I barely posted on the forum due to the constant political talk.

It seems strange that the forum is hidden, considering it’s trying to attract new Members, like they have something to hide. I personally feel there’s no need for such cloak and dagger. It seems rather unscrupulous and underhanded to single you out when loads of members where always online but never posted
Last edited by Shinobi on Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:11 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 pm
Megamixer wrote:

I've had a look and the only book review I can see that you've done is for 'Art of Atari' unless you posted it somewhere else outside of the book review section?
It was in off topic in what books you read recently, probably been bumped several pages back by all the politics threads

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:10 pm
It was in off topic in what books you read recently, probably been bumped several pages back by all the politics threads
Found it for you so I will PM it over. I'd posted in the thread myself recently so it was still relatively close to the top :)