Save our forum!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Save our forum!

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:18 pm

I wouldn't agree with any of the forums you just listed!

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:29 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:18 pm
I wouldn't agree with any of the forums you just listed!
Really? I have never had any issues with any of them. Retro Collect especially is a good forum for collectors and I have had some great trades on there.

What Forums would you recommend. I am always interested in any that I may have missed.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:33 pm

I don't really have any to recommend! That's the problem!

Retro Collect seemed perfectly decent but most of the chat was about collecting, which doesn't really interest me these days, and all jumbled up in one forum. Every time I tried to get some sort of conversation going the thread got buried so I gave up on it.

Retro Canteen and AtariAge are 2 of the most nasty and spiteful places I've ever had the misfortune to visit, so less said about them the better.

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:40 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:33 pm
I don't really have any to recommend! That's the problem!

Retro Collect seemed perfectly decent but most of the chat was about collecting, which doesn't really interest me these days, and all jumbled up in one forum. Every time I tried to get some sort of conversation going the thread got buried so I gave up on it.

Retro Canteen and AtariAge are 2 of the most nasty and spiteful places I've ever had the misfortune to visit, so less said about them the better.
I like Retro collect, have not had much to do with Retro canteen and Atariage seems ok but full of people who think they are gods gift because they have done a bit of programming.

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 pm

WaveRacer wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:40 pm

I like Retro collect, have not had much to do with Retro canteen and Atariage seems ok but full of people who think they are gods gift because they have done a bit of programming.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are far too modest.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Retro Collect is run by Flatapex whom many will know from here in the past. I mentioned before though that it's 16 bit upwards for the most part which is a pity because there are a lot of posters on there, assumed names or otherwise. Probably Atariage is the biggest and most active and covers absolutely everything in its fifty billion sub-forums, though of course it'll be America-centric. That's why there's very little talk about the Oric :)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:20 pm

I locked myself out of Retro Canteen when I failed to update my profile, luckily Andy aka Flatapax sorted this issue out for me. Retro Collect is good for trades but it’s mostly collecting threads/trading, had some good trades but mostly really hardcore collectors.

Retro Canteen should be called Politics Canteen as it was just constant arguing about Trump and people’s rights on the other side of the world. Myself and several others deleted our accounts there. Just viewing Retro Canteen and I can’t see the forums looks like I’ve been banned for some reason.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Retrocanteen is down/offline at the moment. Its the beginning of the end I tell ya!! The revolution failed.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:38 pm

I only went to look at retro canteen tonight and it's vanished? Think I only posted there once or twice. It's a shame if that's gone.

I still like the RG forum but there ain't many people about.

Facebook is terrible for gaming chat. I'm a member of a few groups and it's overwhelming to the point of useless.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:38 am

Retro Canteen is fine, it's online now, just a minor glitch, it happens.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:40 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:38 pm
I only went to look at retro canteen tonight and it's vanished? Think I only posted there once or twice. It's a shame if that's gone.

I still like the RG forum but there ain't many people about.

Facebook is terrible for gaming chat. I'm a member of a few groups and it's overwhelming to the point of useless.
Facebook is good for a quick answer and soundbite conversation, but you don't really get in depth debate like that topic I started on cassettes and floppy disks where people go into more detail, or any other topic for that matter that gets technical over a couple of pages. I hope forums don't go completely.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 am

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:20 pm
Just viewing Retro Canteen and I can’t see the forums looks like I’ve been banned for some reason.
It's just locked to anybody that isn't signed up as a member, Shin. Has been for a while now I think. I don't personally agree a forum should be set up like that but an influx of joke/spam/troll accounts ages ago encouraged the decision.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:25 am

Megamixer wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 am
Shinobi wrote:
Just viewing Retro Canteen and I can’t see the forums looks like I’ve been banned for some reason.
It's just locked to anybody that isn't signed up as a member, Shin. Has been for a while now I think. I don't personally agree a forum should be set up like that but an influx of joke/spam/troll accounts ages ago encouraged the decision.
And most of those accounts were set up by existing members! So that makes the decision seem even more bizarre.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Dunno about most people, but these days forums have become boring.
Its either the same guys arguing, same people posting the same stuff, dull topics or just dull conversations.

Cant be arsed with posting these days, I have better things to do

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:33 pm

The Laird wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:25 am
Megamixer wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 am
Shinobi wrote:
And most of those accounts were set up by existing members! So that makes the decision seem even more bizarre.

And you have never made any BIZARRE decisions I take it?