Subscriber Covers

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

acidbottle

Subscriber Covers

Post by acidbottle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:39 am

1st post so dont want to go over board negative, since the magazine is top drawer!

however, the subscriber covers, nice as they are, do not, in my opinion look as nice as the shelf version. this is quite subjective of course but the shelf covers look more retro, reminding you of adverts and game boxes of old. the sub covers look quite modern and crisp, defeating the purpose i guess. could we perhaps choose our covers, the logistics of which would be a nightmare am sure.

it was a decent idea but not sure i want to fork out twice for the magazine. its perfect in every way otherwise, loved the recent gifts to!

Solegor

Re: Subscriber Covers

Post by Solegor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 am

While I can agree the subscriber street fighter cover was a cop-out, the mega drive cover is awesome! Let's see how this trend continues, I say. The only thing they need to fix is the negative space to the right of the retro Gamer logo in the subscription-only covers!

P.s. buying two copies of the mag just for the covers is a little bit overboard mate:)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:06 am

^^^ My preference was the other way around SF vs MD.

Anyhoo, you can't please all the people all of the time.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:47 am

RetroBob wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:06 am
^^^ My preference was the other way around SF vs MD.

Anyhoo, you can't please all the people all of the time.
Yeah but SF subscriber cover was just stripped down non-subscriber cover with pallet swap. Regardless of personal preference it's not great.

And the issue of negative space to the right of the logo still stands valid for both subscriber covers so far

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:52 pm

I thought the SF cover was one of the best covers they've done - the artwork was so good that removing all the extra text stuff they normally include gave it room to breathe and really shine.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I like the clutter free cover idea. The street fighter cover was just a direct copy from the current generation game disc box covers and as I'm not a real fan of the game neither version really grabbed me.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm

I just got #182 yesterday, and that exclusive cover is killer, as it's way better than the standard one for sure. Yeah, I didn't care for the Street Fighter cover either, and actually thought the standard one was much better there, due to the negative space as mentioned and the lack of the "Street Fighter" logo.

An actual unique cover would have been much more welcome. So in the future, if an actual unique original cover pic can't be made, please don't even bother. I have like the other unique ones so far, with #181 being the only one I didn't and for obvious reasons. So hopefully that cover was an oversight, and will stay the in minority, and won't become the majority.

Major Havoc

Post by Major Havoc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:42 pm

Personally I loved the subscriber cover to #182 and I quite like the negative space to the right of the logo - it makes that particular cover look more like a design document. Admittedly I'm not overly keen on the previous couple of subscription covers and just using the same Street Fighter assets for #181 looks a little lazy.

As mentioned elsewhere, the downside to subscriber covers is that it's one more thing for the designer to create and will (quite likely) go to the bottom of the queue in terms of priorities as they're guaranteed sales. The upside is that (because they're guaranteed sales) there's no need to pander to marketing or sales and the designer has a free hand to create anything as outlandish or original as they like.

Personally I'd love to see something experimental and creative each issue for a subscriber cover, I'd much rather have hits and misses than something generic. It does feel like the cover must reflect the same subject as it's retail counterpart, but I don't really see why. I'd love to see a cover for the late Ted Dabney for the next issue...

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:42 am

As much as we appreciate late Ted Dabney, I feel that having this type of cover is not in line with the message of the magazine. Yes we all love Retro gaming but this is not the painful type of nostalgia of the times that are slipping away and will never go back. It's the positive type of nostalgia of feel-good memories and looking into the future with hope: anyway PS2, Xbox and gc already made the cut for 'retro' and soon PS3 Wii and 360 will be featured as well.
Or else the mag will turn into never-ending stream of obituaries and angst .
I feel that retro Gamer did a great job of remembering late Bob Wakelin with the nice article and poster of his best works. And that's how it should be

P.s. you are saying that negative space is good and yet in your mock-up cover this space is occupied:) I think #180 cover did at least this right

Major Havoc

Post by Major Havoc » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:06 pm

There are very precious few photos of Ted Dabney online unfortunately (which is indicative in iteself), so you work with what you can find! :wink:

I admit the negative space on the subscriber issues #181 looks a little odd (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but I do really like it on #182.

I also like the fact that with subscriber issues you don't have to worry about allowing for a barcode and numerous headlines of text describing the contents of each issue, so it's almost like working with a blank canvas. It would be nice to see different designers submit different ideas for each issue as it's rare that they are allowed to work with a free hand.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm not a subscriber and I've preferred every one of the newstand covers since the different covers were introduced. I think it works with some magazines. I'm not sure why it doesn't with Retro Gamer.

Edit: Now I've subscribed via the controller offer, I hope the subscriber covers are ditched. If anyone wants to swap...

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi folks, first visit back to the forums in a loooong time. hope you're all well.

Just wanted to register my opinion on the new sub cover idea, I'm really not a fan. While its a nice idea to provide something unique for those of us who have a subscription, the covers aren't brilliant TBH. All except maybe the MD cover have been less attractive than the retail copies (The most recent Tetris one in particular) and the absence of the various iconography and blurb on the front detracts rather than enhances the aesthetic appeal. Rather than looking like something 'extra' they look a lot more like something unfinished. If I'm honest I am thinking about cancelling the sub and just going back to buying the retail version if this is planned as a permanent feature.

Still enjoying the mag, still lurking the forums on vary rare occasions, and very glad its all still going well.

All the best, FT.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Hello FT!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:46 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm
Hi folks, first visit back to the forums in a loooong time. hope you're all well.

Just wanted to register my opinion on the new sub cover idea, I'm really not a fan. While its a nice idea to provide something unique for those of us who have a subscription, the covers aren't brilliant TBH. All except maybe the MD cover have been less attractive than the retail copies (The most recent Tetris one in particular) and the absence of the various iconography and blurb on the front detracts rather than enhances the aesthetic appeal. Rather than looking like something 'extra' they look a lot more like something unfinished. If I'm honest I am thinking about cancelling the sub and just going back to buying the retail version if this is planned as a permanent feature.

Still enjoying the mag, still lurking the forums on vary rare occasions, and very glad its all still going well.

All the best, FT.
Woah FT! How are you man?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

driver695

Post by driver695 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Seconded
FatTrucker wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm

All the best, FT.