XBox 360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

English Invader

Re: XBox 360

Post by English Invader » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:25 am

ALK wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:17 pm
Those HD DVD Drives will work with any model of 360 right? Been toying with the idea of getting one for collection giggles and if CeX are doing them for that cheap, why not?
I'm using it with a 360 slim. I don't have the original white 360 and I can't vouch for any other models but my guess is that if it will work with the slim it'll work with earlier revisions.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:09 pm

I guess so, I have the later E Model (The one made to look a bit like a first model XBONE) though if first comes to worse, I still have my first model 360 from back in the day (Got concerned about running into the "Red Rings" fault that pledged first models back in the day, so got a new model years later).

Not that I plan on having a huge HD DVD collection but for novelty sake's and if I run into any 50p titles....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Sure enough, as I visit my local CeX.... :lol:
WP_20180702_001.jpg
WP_20180702_001.jpg (399.85 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Works perfectly with my E Model 360. They had no HD DVDs so tried a DVD out. Quite interestingly, the upscale of a DVD looked a tad bit better than my blu ray player when playing DVDs. I'll probably order The Matrix Collection on the website to really test it out.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am

I have the HD dvd add on. It's a really lovely little system and there are some real bargains to be had. I did initially experience a slight judder in the picture when the camera panned left to right or vice versa, but this just disappeared when i hooked it up to a different TV.

Word of warning, watch out for any films issued by Warner Bros though as they are notorious for disc rot (something to do with how they treated the discs during production i believe). Unfortunately this means films like The Matrix, Harry Potter, Blade Runner etc may either give you playback issues or just not work at all.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 am

binaryRooster wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am
Word of warning, watch out for any films issued by Warner Bros though as they are notorious for disc rot (something to do with how they treated the discs during production i believe). Unfortunately this means films like The Matrix, Harry Potter, Blade Runner etc may either give you playback issues or just not work at all.
I bought 8 WB HD DVDs before I became aware of this issue. I've watched two of them so far without issue (although one of them freezes up sometimes at the bonus feature menu but it's fine if you just load up the disc again).

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks for the warning. I did order the Matrix Trilogy before reading, but at £3 its not a bad gamble if worse comes to worse.

Ahh well, least there's a good number of other studios that tried supporting the format.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:54 am

English Invader wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 am
I bought 8 WB HD DVDs before I became aware of this issue. I've watched two of them so far without issue (although one of them freezes up sometimes at the bonus feature menu but it's fine if you just load up the disc again).
Watched a few more now and here are the results:

The Shining (European version) - watched twice through without issue (once with just the film and the other with the audio commentary); also watched all bonus features no problem; menu occasionally freezes up but easily remedied by loading the disc again.

Full Metal Jacket: Special Edition - watched all the way through without issue; haven't tried the bonus features yet.

Superman II: the Richard Donner Cut - played through perfectly (haven't tried bonus features); had a bit of trouble getting used to this one as I'm a big fan of the original Superman II and this is very different to the original release.

Superman the Movie - drive wouldn't even pick the disc up

Batman Begins - loaded up but kept freezing up right from the get go

TMNT (2007 CGI film) - played perfectly without issue

Unforgiven - played fine for about an hour and then froze up; this is my biggest disappointment as I hadn't seen the film before and was really enjoying it; this may be the straw that makes me get a Blu-Ray player.

The Shining (US version) and Superman Returns are still to play so I'm hoping for the best from those. The thing about this HD DVD experience is that it's got me hooked on watching films in HD and I don't think I can go back to DVD the same way as I did before. Warner is too big a studio to miss out on so I think I'm getting a Blu-Ray player in the not too distant future.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Welcome to the HD club. :lol: I was like that with DVD, could never go back to VHS after that, but yeah also happened with Blu Ray though not everything gets a blu ray release (Today's WWE Home Media for example.) and I even read 1 UK anime distributor will no longer be putting out DVDs and be going full Blu Ray only later this year. Even so, DVDs get a little upscale boost when played on a blu ray player, so no real biggie.

Now.....if only I had a 4KTV to play my Black Panther 4K Ultra Blu Ray on my XBONE X.... :lol:
Last edited by ALK on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm

The Beans wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:47 pm
The Last Ginja wrote:
The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Buy Prey.

If there was an XBone sequel announced, I'd buy one tomorrow.
Time to put your money where your mouth is ;)
Has there been an official confirmation?

So did you?

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:48 am

ALK wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:03 pm
Thanks for the warning. I did order the Matrix Trilogy before reading, but at £3 its not a bad gamble if worse comes to worse.

Ahh well, least there's a good number of other studios that tried supporting the format.
Just checked and i've got 29 of them! It's borderline criminal that a company as huge as that can't manufacture discs properly. Disc rot is going to be one of the things that really screws up gaming on retro systems.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

binaryRooster wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:48 am
ALK wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Just checked and i've got 29 of them! It's borderline criminal that a company as huge as that can't manufacture discs properly. Disc rot is going to be one of the things that really screws up gaming on retro systems.
Very true. Thankfully as someone that has over 1000 discs of DVDs, blu rays and disc based games as far back as the Mega CD days, I've yet to run into the problem. Granted I don't check them all on a daily basic but when I add new titles to the bookcases I make a habit of checking some. I do take care of them, putting them back in the cases, never buying disc only and whatnot, but can't vouch for everything I brought used. That at least will be telling come the next decade and so on.

Still on the 360 side at least thanks to Games with Gold and weekly sales, I have over 550 games digitally. Even if anything happens to my 360, buying a new one and redownloading games isnt too much of a problem (*cough*Nintendo*cough*) just the gamesaves would be lost. Worse comes to worse, a good chunk of over 300 of my digital games are compatible with my XBONE X, a list that grows every week. and I'm hopeful whatever future XBOX systems there are will continue this as a feature, whether or not they continue supporting discs as a whole.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:25 am

ALK wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Welcome to the HD club. :lol: I was like that with DVD, could never go back to VHS after that, but yeah also happened with Blu Ray though not everything gets a blu ray release (Today's WWE Home Media for example.) and I even read 1 UK anime distributor will no longer be putting out DVDs and be going full Blu Ray only later this year. Even so, DVDs get a little upscale boost when played on a blu ray player, so no real biggie.
VHS definitely has more nostalgia pull than DVD. I was a big collector of VHS between 2006 and 2008 (while most people were dumping them in the charity shops, I was snapping them up at 20p a time); even now I still sometimes get the urge for that mechanical whirr and the soft grainy picture you can only get from a video tape.

DVD will never have that nostalgia factor because there's nothing to go back to except a lesser picture quality. Just like CDs, it's neither fish nor foul anymore.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm

English Invader wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:25 am
ALK wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm
VHS definitely has more nostalgia pull than DVD. I was a big collector of VHS between 2006 and 2008 (while most people were dumping them in the charity shops, I was snapping them up at 20p a time); even now I still sometimes get the urge for that mechanical whirr and the soft grainy picture you can only get from a video tape.

DVD will never have that nostalgia factor because there's nothing to go back to except a lesser picture quality. Just like CDs, it's neither fish nor foul anymore.
Nostalgia yeah, but outside of my childhood, I never really brought any movies on VHS. It was when I was mad on Pokemon I invested in my first DVD player so I could have the movies and TV Show on DVD...and sure enough, I started buying other movies and TV Shows on DVD. :lol: Yeah there's old things like the grainy picture and sound of a VHS player, but really like my retro games I want them looking as clear and nice as possible, plus stuff like rewinding the tape is something I don't really wanna go back too. Maybe I'll pick out a few VHS tapes from my childhood someday, but that will be a time when I have space to do so.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 pm

The charm of vhs to me is watching peoples recordings off the tv and seeing all the adverts and idents from the programs.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes