RE: Free Subscription Incentives

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

samhain81

RE: Free Subscription Incentives

Post by samhain81 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:33 pm

This may just bug me, but as a longtime subscriber of the magazine for about 8 years now, who subscribed when there was no subsidized offer or promotion, I just can't accept the latest promotional offer.

Over the years pricing offers like £1 for 3 months subscription, or £3 for 3 months subscription have been offered, and would make me a little bitter, but not so much that I would consider cancelling my subscription. I've had to endure small pricing increases over the years for the subscriptions, so seeing deals like this still float around would annoy me as I would think 'How do they have the cheek to increase the subscription price, when they have the money to still make these offers available? They are offsetting the difference to make this price available to new readers' Nevertheless, I would usually just ignore it, and keep my subscription.

Now, having just had my sub renewed for another six months a mere week or two ago. I have just come across the deal for new subscribers where they will receive a free 8bitdo Switch controller, for 6 months subscription. This is pretty much the last straw for me, who has had nothing except price increases during my 8 years of membership. Most of these new readers will likely cancel their membership the moment their freebie is received, so I will never understand the rationale behind these promotions. Surely the love of retro gaming, should be enough of an incentive for you to purchase a membership.

The fact that my membership was renewed for the same price as this promotion will be, along with the free controller worth £30, stings me too much to continue subscription. After accepting previous price increases to my subscription, I just can't accept that they have enough money to make a promotion like this available to new readers, so I'll be cancelling my membership after 8 years. I just don't like seeing new readers rewarded with something that is equivalent in price to the actual subscription itself. Not acceptable.

jdanddiet

Re: RE: Free Subscription Incentives

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:02 pm

All magazines do this don't they? As do Sky and other companies. It's a standard promotional tactic I'm afraid to get new people in - yes some will unsubscribe when they get their gift, but a fair few won't of course.

Oh and just so I'm clear - you're cancelling your subscription because you haven't been given something for free?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:39 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:02 pm
All magazines do this don't they? As do Sky and other companies. It's a standard promotional tactic I'm afraid to get new people in - yes some will unsubscribe when they get their gift, but a fair few won't of course.

Oh and just so I'm clear - you're cancelling your subscription because you haven't been given something for free?
All magazines? Don't generalize. Also, Sky and 'other companies', I don't know what you mean by 'other companies'. Be specific, who? Sky are usually open to haggling sub fee's for long time customers when offers surface for new comers. It's expected for big companies like that to experience a blowback from longterm customers. Secondly, most Sky customers subscribe on the foundations of a promotion of some kind anyway, so they've already saved something, and it's expected that other promotions will occur after that.

Secondly, no. I am not cancelling because I'm simply not getting something for free. I'd appreciate if you don't demean and pass off my reasons as a trivial 'they are getting something, I'm not'. It's deeper than that. Yes, while I've never recieved any freebie upon subscribing to RG or any subsidized fee, I'm cancelling because of all the contributing factors; others are getting something equivalent to the price of 6 months subscription, that I have literally just paid the same amount for. THAT is the issue. The 'free' item you make so little of , is not a keychain, not a set of fridge magnets or stickers, but something that is the same price as the subscription, to which I have just paid, on top of the increasing prices that I have accepted in the past.

Because the free item is equivalent in value to the subscription itself, I don't see it as a free item but in fact a free subscription. You can look it any way you want really, both ways are as equally bittering.

You can't argue that there is rationale behind my complaint. I have not expected anything in return other than the magazine. I could care less about a 'freebie' but when it's equal to the same price as what I have just paid, of course I have a right to complain. Who wouldn't?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Okey dokey pal :shock: :(
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:10 pm

I subscribe to a few mags and they all do the same thing to get new subscribers. Totally over the top reaction to cancel though

My subscriptions still dirt cheap and I don’t mind that I lose out on a few freebies for new subscribers.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:09 pm

It raises a fair point for sure, and isn't of course primarily aimed at Future, or Retro Gamer mag specifically.

You see this sort of thing everywhere, from Sky TV subscribers, magazines, club memberships, power and phone companies and so on. To entice new members they get the good deals, yet the hardcore loyal ones that stay onboard year after year get little in the way of thanks for re-subscribing.

I do agree that although its simply the norm and marketing/promotion, it shouldn't be, and isn't very fair. As a non subscriber I would be happy- and would actually like it if there were rewards for the loyal hardcore re-subscribers. Perhaps better gifts for increased years of loyalty :)

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:29 pm

I've been buying online and/or subscribing for over 10 years now and the price hasn't ever increased? Its actually 25% cheaper now to buy single issues through Future (if you want the non-subscriber covers), than it was at Imagine.

The whole reason I subscribe is because the mag is just so good and is the last truly great gaming mag, plus it contains content not available anywhere else. If you need free gifts to entice you to buy it then you probably aren't that big a fan of it in the first place?

Null

Post by Null » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:58 am

I just bawked after seeing this offer in the latest issue as well (after having my subscription automatically renew a couple of weeks ago), after ringing the number in the magazine and quoting the code I was informed I'd get the controller after my next subscription renewal in December... I imagine stocks will have run out by then though so we will just have to see.

The biggest problem I have with subscribing is the amount of times the supplements with the magazine don't turn up. The recent exclusion of the small Super Play supplement only to be told they have no further stock to send out was particularly a stinger!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Presumably these are loss leader incentives to persuade people to move from news stand to subscription.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest: Future provide you with the mag delivered a few days early at a lower cost than the newsstand. In return you provide revenue on a regular and predictable basis.

IMO it's unreasonable to expect to then receive every subsequent subscription incentive.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Silence the Fallen

Post by Silence the Fallen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:02 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:27 pm
Presumably these are loss leader incentives to persuade people to move from news stand to subscription.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest: Future provide you with the mag delivered a few days early at a lower cost than the newsstand. In return you provide revenue on a regular and predictable basis.

IMO it's unreasonable to expect to then receive every subsequent subscription incentive.
I completely agree with what RetroBob said.

Not to mention the occasional extra goodies that show up like the Super Play mini mag last year, the awesome C64 music CD a while back and now a Megadrive mini mag and stickers. I couldn't be happier!

Don't get me wrong. I would absolutely love that free controller, but many businesses here in the states and presumably elsewhere in the world have bonuses to entice new subscribers. My cell phone carrier is always having deals and bonuses to reel in new customers but seldom does anything for longtime customers such as myself. I'm not saying it's right. Its just how it is.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:16 pm

As stated, I see this kind of stuff across many different mediums, and it is what it is. If deals like this where given to everyone, it would never work from a financial standpoint, unless they get said items for free(as some promotion with items maker). Stuff like this controller is offered to get in new people, who they may not have been able to get through normal promotions. So they make it more inviting by offering something they can't refuse. LOL

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 pm

I'd imagine 8bitdo get something out of this, so I doubt the full controller price comes out of magazine funds. It's good publicity for 8bitdo.

I've resubscribed for the first time in many years (I guess I buy the magazine 2-4 times a year on average). I'd only seen the 8bitdo controllers a few days ago and decided against buying one because I don't game much these days, but I couldn't refuse this offer.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pm

samhain81 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:33 pm
This may just bug me, but as a longtime subscriber of the magazine for about 8 years now, who subscribed when there was no subsidized offer or promotion, I just can't accept the latest promotional offer.

Over the years pricing offers like £1 for 3 months subscription, or £3 for 3 months subscription have been offered, and would make me a little bitter, but not so much that I would consider cancelling my subscription. I've had to endure small pricing increases over the years for the subscriptions, so seeing deals like this still float around would annoy me as I would think 'How do they have the cheek to increase the subscription price, when they have the money to still make these offers available? They are offsetting the difference to make this price available to new readers' Nevertheless, I would usually just ignore it, and keep my subscription.

Now, having just had my sub renewed for another six months a mere week or two ago. I have just come across the deal for new subscribers where they will receive a free 8bitdo Switch controller, for 6 months subscription. This is pretty much the last straw for me, who has had nothing except price increases during my 8 years of membership. Most of these new readers will likely cancel their membership the moment their freebie is received, so I will never understand the rationale behind these promotions. Surely the love of retro gaming, should be enough of an incentive for you to purchase a membership.

The fact that my membership was renewed for the same price as this promotion will be, along with the free controller worth £30, stings me too much to continue subscription. After accepting previous price increases to my subscription, I just can't accept that they have enough money to make a promotion like this available to new readers, so I'll be cancelling my membership after 8 years. I just don't like seeing new readers rewarded with something that is equivalent in price to the actual subscription itself. Not acceptable.
I'm sorry you feel like cancelling your subscription.
However, the controller offer is open to existing subscribers, so there's no reason for you to miss out.
Simply phone 0344 848 2852 and quote 8Bitdo and you'll be able to continue your sub.

The deal is open to all existing subscribers as well as new ones and it's mentioned right at the bottom of the new sub in the Mega Drive issue.
The only thing is that it's sold so well we've burned through the first available batch meaning you'll need to wait for it to turn up as has been mentioned later in the thread.

Regards,
Darran

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pm
samhain81 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm sorry you feel like cancelling your subscription.
However, the controller offer is open to existing subscribers, so there's no reason for you to miss out.
Simply phone 0344 848 2852 and quote 8Bitdo and you'll be able to continue your sub.

The deal is open to all existing subscribers as well as new ones and it's mentioned right at the bottom of the new sub in the Mega Drive issue.
The only thing is that it's sold so well we've burned through the first available batch meaning you'll need to wait for it to turn up as has been mentioned later in the thread.

Regards,
Darran
I did this it was painless. Plus the fact I was going to buy an 8 bitdo pad having used one quite extensively at a mates on a Raspberry Pi and Switch last weekend. It was a no brainer, still get Retro Gamer plus free pad. OP should have read the magazine a little closer before embarrassing rant.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pm

Regards,
Darran
I'm on a continuous credit card renewal (every 3 months) subscription from issue 185 on. Can I get the goodies by using the mentioned link to renew the sub?