Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 81

the_hawk

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 am

Happy Monday?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:51 am

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:38 am
I'm not expecting anything to happen at the shareholders' meeting today other than for the current directors to be removed and an administrator put in their place. Possibly not even that, depending upon which way Sinclair Research votes.

Still, assuming that it does go that way, the company will most likely be wound up. All the evidence points to them having no money and no stock to speak of, so I'm not expecting a delivery or a refund, but it should put an end to the lying if nothing else.

However, for the current directors as time of writing, it won't necessarily end there as they may be personally liable for certain debts and misuse of company funds that they'd otherwise be able to walk away from if they were in control of the company when it was wound up. There's almost certainly going to be further legal action taken against them, and that will probably be ongoing for some time.
Yeah, not holding out much hope for the poor buggers that have hung on in good faith, giving them the benefit of the doubt in the hope of finally getting what they paid for. Hoping for at least closure so backers can know where they stand. The ones that deserve to go for a skate....well, the worlds a strange place, not sure we will see that anytime soon, if at all.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/1 ... e_delayed/

Meeting adjourned for two weeks. Presumably to decide what response to give to Indiegogo's lawyers?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:29 am

Treguard wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/1 ... e_delayed/

Meeting adjourned for two weeks. Presumably to decide what response to give to Indiegogo's lawyers?
I'd be surprised if Indiegogo's lawyers had much to do with it. The only items on the agenda for the meeting were the removal of the directors and the appointment of replacements. Reading between the lines, it would seem that Sinclair Research wanted more time to consider whether to support Smith and Andrews or not. If they choose to, they can reconvene in a couple of weeks - presumably without Levy and Martin needing to be present - and vote it through.

Otherwise, things will rumble on and we'll just have to wait until one of their creditors drives them into liquidation. Again, Smith and Andrews seem to be first in the queue with their unpaid court costs, followed by Lee Fogerty who is claiming money owed for their old website, and only then will Indiegogo have a chance to sue them if there's anything left.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm

The latest video is poor as anything. After all this time don’t show us a teaser video

I’ve been super patient but this is ridiculous. Just show us a pile of new Vegas

Edit - presume the wrong video was uploaded as the second one is a proper video (first one was zoomed in too much)

I still reckon it’ll get released. Would be far easier to can it all in a year ago. But I need to see a pile of them

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:01 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm
The latest video is poor as anything. After all this time don’t show us a teaser video

I’ve been super patient but this is ridiculous. Just show us a pile of new Vegas

Edit - presume the wrong video was uploaded as the second one is a proper video (first one was zoomed in too much)

I still reckon it’ll get released. Would be far easier to can it all in a year ago. But I need to see a pile of them
The machine they're showing in that video is obviously a prototype; quite possibly one they've shown before as the design doesn't appear to have changed noticeably despite them supposedly saying that we're getting V2s. Even despite the blurry out of focus shaky-cam, irritating overlaid graphics, and suspiciously timed jump cuts you can see that it's got a lot of rough edges and glue marks and doesn't exactly look like a finished product.

Also, we've known that they've had several mostly working prototypes for a while. What they'd need to be showing us at this stage is evidence that they've got thousands of machines ready to ship out, which they plainly haven't got.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Further to my last post, eagle eyed viewers have also spotted:

1. There are a grand total of 18 games on the list. At least that explains why they were reticent about putting it up.
2. The buttons seem to take a bit of pressing. Wasn't that supposed to be fixed in early 2017?
3. None of the footage is of actual gameplay, just menus being navigated and various games started up. I suppose that might be a bit difficult with those buttons though.
4. There's a tube of glue on the desk. So, I guess this must be a newly assembled prototype or at least it was whenever this was filmed.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 pm
Further to my last post, eagle eyed viewers have also spotted:

1. There are a grand total of 18 games on the list. At least that explains why they were reticent about putting it up.
2. The buttons seem to take a bit of pressing. Wasn't that supposed to be fixed in early 2017?
3. None of the footage is of actual gameplay, just menus being navigated and various games started up. I suppose that might be a bit difficult with those buttons though.
4. There's a tube of glue on the desk. So, I guess this must be a newly assembled prototype or at least it was whenever this was filmed.

Was going to mention the tube of glue sitting there alongside the machine with what is clearly glue marks! This is better than the satirical joke videos and photos!
That video looks more for the benefit of the wolves at the door than the backers information.

That shut the critics up then!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 am

I dont mind how many games are on it as i'll be using an SD card straight away with it. Plus the second 'some people' see the games on it they'll no doubt go rushing to the authors asking them to deny permission.

But yeah frustrating videos, forget the 90's sound effects and camera angles. Simply show someone playing games on it. I've stuck up for them tons in the past but its taking the biscuit at the moment

I played on one at the retro show last year, this was an early prototype but it was pretty good, looked great so was really positive afterwards i must admit. Its not vapourware, just obviously theres been major issues (internally/externally) since then

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:54 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 am
I dont mind how many games are on it as i'll be using an SD card straight away with it. Plus the second 'some people' see the games on it they'll no doubt go rushing to the authors asking them to deny permission.

But yeah frustrating videos, forget the 90's sound effects and camera angles. Simply show someone playing games on it. I've stuck up for them tons in the past but its taking the biscuit at the moment

I played on one at the retro show last year, this was an early prototype but it was pretty good, looked great so was really positive afterwards i must admit. Its not vapourware, just obviously theres been major issues (internally/externally) since then
If it's not vapourware... where are all the promised photos? Where is the proof?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:00 am

I mean something 'does exist' - i played on one at the Blackpool show but granted that was the older version so to me its not vapourware as there was something 'physical'. But yeah i get what you mean.

But its crazy, they just need to be honest. I get all the 'dont show the game list in case 'people' start contacting the devs and cause trouble' etc (as they have done) but IF they are about to ship then they have to show boxes or lots of Vegas

IF its not about to ship then simply say. From day one people have said they just want honesty. I'm quite happy having one without any games installed, but just show me one or send me one !!

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:39 pm

It's really interesting looking back through this thread with all the delays and disappointments, especially knowing what we do now. Back in March 2017, we had this:
merman wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:31 pm
The whole Vega+ campaign has been one long case of excuses and lack of information from the company.
Don't forget this thing launched in SEPTEMBER 2016 and backers still don't have the finished machine in their hand, despite many assurances and missed deadlines.

They have given the impression they are untrustworthy.
merman wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:19 pm
But regardless of how many games have been withdrawn, they said it was ready to launch in September.
They held a launch party and did not let people publish photos.
The response was-
psj3809 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:42 pm
^why are you stirring merman ? Have you got one ordered ? So wheees the C64 handheld device ? That said Dec 2016. Now April 17. So is that out soon ?
Anyway a good picture today of lots of Vegas and a short video with another one to come. Yeah there's been delays but you can tell it's not vapourware. It looks great. Trolls will always moan about something though
In hindsight it probably wasn't a good idea to describe merman as "stirring" and indirectly suggest he was a troll. Still, once this latest delay is over in two weeks, I'm sure the Vega+ consoles will get sent out and all will be wonderful again. Happy Thursday!!!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 pm

So you’re accusing me of stirring yet you’re the one going through the thread picking out posts like you’ve done and raking up old posts from over a year ago? And that’s not stirring !?! Come on fella ! Just think a lot of people have got involved and sticking their oar in when they havent even pre ordered one!

Anyway next few weeks should be interesting. I’m stunned they didn’t throw in the towel a year ago. As they haven’t I do believe this will come out - obviously when who knows !!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 am

I think there's a good chance that they have thrown in the towel, so to speak. It's just that, true to form, they've not been so good as to tell us.

After all, in among the lies and missed deadlines, we used to get the odd tangible development. They'd made prototypes, shown off a new firmware using Fuse and Linux, turned up to events, etc. but there's really been nothing at all for nearly a year, which rather coincides with the rumours that the money has all been spent.

Also, Mrsic-Flogel appears to have been rather busy with another crowdfunded device, the Gemini PDA, which has actually made it to market during the period in which the Vega Plus appears to have foundered. That would leave something of a question mark over who, if anyone, would be still developing it. Having seemingly done their level best to alienate anyone in the Spectrum community with the technical skills to possibly help them, I somehow doubt they've found anyone.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am

Yeah to be fair who knows. Just thought it would have been 'easier' and expected last year if they had thrown in the towel then. Theyre now showing more 'new' videos of the device (as usual - bad ones) so i'm still surprised they havent given up. Theres so much spin/fake news from both sides i dont know who to believe

Just want to see a pile of boxes and Vegas !