From The Forum issue 183 - Tetris: Best puzzler ever?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 183 - Tetris: Best puzzler ever?

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 am

Hi all, it's from the forum time. This month, we're seeking your opinions on the following warm apple of the earth:

Is Tetris the best block puzzle game ever?

Of course, there's more to it than that. If it is, why - and what's the best version? If not, what would you rank above it?

Personally, I have a huge respect for Tetris and enjoy playing it, but I've never found that perfect two-player variant despite some close attempts (Magical Tetris Challenge is a great example). My heart lies with puzzle games that were designed for competitive play from the start, like Puyo Puyo and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

kiwimike

Re: From The Forum issue 183 - Tetris: Best puzzler ever?

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 am

I love Tetris. It deserves its accolades of course. My late mum god rest her soul was addicted when I bought her an original GB with the cart! :) IMO it is a better solo game than two player though. I love Bust a move and it's variants for that.

Many of the Popcap games are great too, as is columns. But one favourite overlooked at times is Klax. That would probably be my personal favourite, and the Lynx had a close to perfect version.

Speaking of Lynx, it had a great version of Chips Challenge- a different kind of puzzler but puzzler nonetheless! :)

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 am

Tetris is great and can be enjoyed in hundreds of different iterations (bar some of the recent UbiSoft games). Even today we can see developers finding ways to improve on the simple but addictive formula - apparently we will now get Tetris in VR :D
Tetris is also the game to bridge generations and is loved by people who otherwise don't play videogames. In that regard it is definitely the best puzzler ever.
Though for me personally rhythmically-oriented puzzlers have more appeal - Lumines, for example.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am

As good as Tetris is there are other puzzle games that I prefer more such as Columns, Baku Baku and Shanghai.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:38 am

For me Tetris is not just the best block puzzlers out there but one of the best games out there. The gameplay is evergreen and anyone can play it.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Yeah, but no. Depends on how you view Lumines. In my opinion it is Tetris II, but they are seen as different games so I'd have to vote for Lumines in that case.
Oh, and as for best Tetris version, there was an Amiga Scene version by a Norwegian (IIRC) that I thought was utterly slick. Exact names escapes me atm.
Last edited by NorthWay on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Tetris is not a puzzle game, there's nothing to solve, it's a twitch reaction arcade game.

But in term of "Tetris style" games, there's been like a billion clones each trying to add their own (Dr) Spin to proceedings.
Although there are some interesting variations, most of the gimmicks are pretty unnecessary & the simplicity of the original still reigns supreme.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 pm

It is still an awesome game, the best version is still on the original Gameboy, lots of great memories playing that.
My wife and I play Poyo Poyo/Tetris on the Switch a lot which is great!

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:14 pm

From a purity point of view, yes it is, however I personally prefer Puzzle Bobble, as it has a similar can't-put-it-down feel, and the added characters and graphics give it a bit of extra visual flair.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm

The best and devilish two player Tetris taken has to be Tetris Battle Gaiden for the Super Nintendo, it never got a European or American release, but by Christ was it addictive in two player mode as each charater had their own powers in which when thing got hairy you could cast spells on the other players side and create all sort of taking the censored action to reverse the tides..fantastic..now include that in your article you won't regret it 8)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am

Lumines - its hypnotic !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm

I'll go for Portal, with honourable mentions to World of Goo, Contre Jour, Crayon Physics and Osmos.

Thinking about it, the whole physics puzzle genre is a relatively new one that's only really been opened up by the huge advances in computing power that make it almost trivial to implement engines that would previously have required a supercomputer. I suppose you can look at ancestors like The Incredible Machine and A Whole New Ball Game to see where it all came from, but they're obviously restricted by having to keep the mechanics simple and you don't get that glorious feeling of hundreds of objects clattering into each other chaotically to get the desired result.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Nope. Got to be Buzzsaw+ (Box Deluxe Mix) on the Spectrum.
This is a completely independent and unbiased opinion, of course. :D :D :D

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:13 am

Tetris is good but gets a bit too intense later on and is super repetitive. Chime (Xbox 360) takes the concept and makes it a whole lot more interesting.

CodyJarrett

Post by CodyJarrett » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:13 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm
Oh, and as for best Tetris version, there was an Amiga Scene version by a Norwegian (IIRC) that I thought was utterly slick. Exact names escapes me atm.
Twintris or Super Twintris?