Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TheEvilDM

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by TheEvilDM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am

hey I'm new here. Pulled out a few old consoles I've owned over the years last year and been playing again. Just recently started doing Let's play videos on youtube for a few. thanks!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:58 am

TheEvilDM wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am
hey I'm new here. Pulled out a few old consoles I've owned over the years last year and been playing again. Just recently started doing Let's play videos on youtube for a few. thanks!
how you doing that then capture card?
This guy are sick

dste

Post by dste » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 pm

TheEvilDM wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am
Welcome to the forum. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:01 am

I've not been here for about six months (and have since lost my password, and don't really want a reset at this point). Recently started picking up Retro Gamer again after a visit to WHSmith a while ago, so I decided to re-join!

I'm NeppyDreamy, I own PAL SNES, GBA SP, NGC, PSX and PS2 in terms of retro consoles. All except the NGC are in my bedroom, hooked up to an LCD TV using RF and composite cables - I just want to sit back and enjoy really, besides it's how people played at the time rather than fancy component/S-Video (and the way it's mounted means I can't plug anything into the component cables, found that out a while ago).

I'm only sixteen (turning 17 in September), so I don't claim any first-hand knowledge, but am probably one of the few people here who considers entirety of the 6th generation as 'retro', though that's because I feel the 7th is the first to start shoving into people's faces DLC and day 1 patches.

Hope I enjoy, though don't expect me to be too active.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 am

NeppyDreamy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:01 am
I've not been here for about six months (and have since lost my password, and don't really want a reset at this point). Recently started picking up Retro Gamer again after a visit to WHSmith a while ago, so I decided to re-join!

I'm NeppyDreamy, I own PAL SNES, GBA SP, NGC, PSX and PS2 in terms of retro consoles. All except the NGC are in my bedroom, hooked up to an LCD TV using RF and composite cables - I just want to sit back and enjoy really, besides it's how people played at the time rather than fancy component/S-Video (and the way it's mounted means I can't plug anything into the component cables, found that out a while ago).

I'm only sixteen (turning 17 in September), so I don't claim any first-hand knowledge, but am probably one of the few people here who considers entirety of the 6th generation as 'retro', though that's because I feel the 7th is the first to start shoving into people's faces DLC and day 1 patches.

Hope I enjoy, though don't expect me to be too active.
i peronaly find old stuff looks best on CRT TVs but this could just be nostalgia
This guy are sick

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:50 am

Welcome back!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:52 am

stayAwhile wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 am
i peronaly find old stuff looks best on CRT TVs but this could just be nostalgia
It probably does, but I don't have space for a CRT :(

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:03 pm

NeppyDreamy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:52 am
stayAwhile wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 am
It probably does, but I don't have space for a CRT :(
ah yes they do take up alot of space speicaly my JVC 32" which has its own stand too I'd also recommend if possible using a soundbar(most an be wall mounted) if your TV has poor sound as i find most modern tvs sound far too tinny plus alot of soundbars tend to include a woofer and possible come with an optional subwoofer. not essentiual to enjoy the games of course but just adds a bit of depth.

most of all just enjoy your gaming :-).
This guy are sick

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:44 am

My LCD TV's from about 2008, and it actually sounds pretty nice, though I do plug it into a pair of external speakers sometimes if I feel like it. ^^
But yes, enjoying gaming is the main point :3

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:06 am

It's more of a thing with modern tellies, where they've reduced the outer bezel and the speakers are stuck round the back. They're rubbish on my 50" TV, but the old 32" in the bedroom has decent speakers up either side. Its almost as wide as the 50" set due to this though, so its a trade off in size vs performance. TBH, I think new tellies could do a lot better on the sound front, but then I do buy cheap, so something has to be cut to keep costs down.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:06 am
It's more of a thing with modern tellies, where they've reduced the outer bezel and the speakers are stuck round the back. They're rubbish on my 50" TV, but the old 32" in the bedroom has decent speakers up either side. Its almost as wide as the 50" set due to this though, so its a trade off in size vs performance. TBH, I think new tellies could do a lot better on the sound front, but then I do buy cheap, so something has to be cut to keep costs down.
mine has the along the bottom but it's just to small tweeters and quiet possibly a tiny little rubbish woofer but if i put it through a 2.0 or 2,1 set up then it sounds alot better
This guy are sick

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 am

Well I sometimes plug in a pair of external stereo speakers (Sony) through the headphone jack, they make it sound good, my LCD has two speakers on the back left and right as far as I know. ^^

I might also soon (after exams) start coming on after school time ^^

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:29 pm

NeppyDreamy wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 am
Well I sometimes plug in a pair of external stereo speakers (Sony) through the headphone jack, they make it sound good, my LCD has two speakers on the back left and right as far as I know. ^^

I might also soon (after exams) start coming on after school time ^^
my ps3 ps4 and xbox one are using a goodmans 2.1 soundbar plus a dedicated sub which is powered so can be turned off when watching tv through my sky box which is good late at night ect. before this i had it running though a denon hi-fi using a set of acoustic solutions speakers but that was using a aux cable and briefly using an aux cable to pass in through into my 5.1 home theatre to get 2.0/2.1(the sub kicks in if i turn it up to volume 25 as it's passive) and dolby pro logic(the older pro logic with 2 front speakers and one rear) where applicable.

idealy i would set up a dolby atmos surround system but not got the resources right now.
This guy are sick

HdE

Post by HdE » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:49 am

Hello everybody!

41 year old forum noob here. I'm HdE - which makes me sound like a chemical compound, I know, but it's actually the pseudonym I adopted years ago when I started working freelance in comics.

I got back into gaming properly a couple of years ago, despite never having really given it up, and I'm just getting set up to start uploading video content to Youtube and Amazon Video Direct. But I figured it was probably high time I stuck my neck in here and got a bit better acquanted with the retro computing community.

Nice to meet you lot! This is some cool stuff to be fiddlin' about with, innit?
Last edited by HdE on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:25 am

Welcome HdE.

Hope you enjoy your stay. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!