Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
thebear
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 am

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by thebear » Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am

felgekarp wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:26 pm
I enjoyed Nintendo Quest, hopefully when it gets a disc release there'll be a bit more of the quest on it.
I actually preferred the follow up series they are repeating non stop almost on Ginx
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

hillelr
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:01 am
Location: israel

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by hillelr » Mon May 28, 2018 10:07 am

I am not sure if this film was mentioned before
8-bit generation the commodore wars
http://www.8bitgeneration.com/the-movie ... dore-wars/
it is mostly interviews of jack and other executives back in the day at commodore
but its very interesting i really liked it.

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5843
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:23 am

Started watching the Video Game years on Amazon...didn't last very long, I don't think this one is for me.

I see that Atari one is also on Prime, will have to give that a watch later.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 am

the_hawk wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:23 am
Started watching the Video Game years on Amazon...didn't last very long, I don't think this one is for me.

I see that Atari one is also on Prime, will have to give that a watch later.
Is it a bit "yankee doodle" centric?

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by The Laird » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:54 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 am
the_hawk wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:23 am
Started watching the Video Game years on Amazon...didn't last very long, I don't think this one is for me.

I see that Atari one is also on Prime, will have to give that a watch later.
Is it a bit "yankee doodle" centric?
Understatement of the decade.

If you like the NES and don't care about anything factual then you'll love it.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26632
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:54 pm

I watched it when it first came out, its great.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Bought a game history DVD called Game Play. It isn't a bad watch, quite enjoyable but pretty much along the lines of the Tony Hawk hosted Game invasion- Which IMO is the better one in regards to a good overview of game history (from the US POV). Has some slightly different interviews and footage so worth a screening for that, and being newer covers some newer games, goes further into morals involving some games and 'where to from here' kind of stuff. 90min long, the DVD has no extras (unless that just my cheap Hong Kong version from down here). So not essential but worth a look on a cheap download bargain pickup. Game Invasion does it better and is mega cheap on Amazon now (with a lot of extras on the DVD). My wife sat down and watched it too so must have been interesting enough, and aimed more at the casual gamer and those not hardcore enough to know the story of game history backwards and forwards. Enjoyable and polished, but has a few gaps which makes a bit inaccurate in places...but a decent watch IMO.

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 am

Has anyone bought/watched The Commodore story either as download or with the 2 Disc Blu ray yet?

psj3809
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:55 am

Bought Load "Film 2" yesterday by Andy Remic

The first 'Memoirs of a Spectrum Addict' was good, supported this one and bought the digital verison. Looking forward to watching it

LOVE that Retro series on Amazon prime - Video Game Years

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:55 am
Bought Load "Film 2" yesterday by Andy Remic

The first 'Memoirs of a Spectrum Addict' was good, supported this one and bought the digital verison. Looking forward to watching it

LOVE that Retro series on Amazon prime - Video Game Years
I wasn't a massive fan of the first one, but might take a look at the second one anyway to see if its any better.

Not a fan of The Video Game years at all, far too American, annoying presenters and chock full of factual mistakes.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26632
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 am

The Laird wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 am
Not a fan of The Video Game years at all, far too American, annoying presenters and chock full of factual mistakes.
:lol:

I liked it. As has already been said.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Yep same here. Nice trips down memory lane. Like the reviews on arcade games as well. Looking forward to watching it all

You really start to realise how lucky we’ve been...

Lived through the early console years with the 2600
Arrival of arcade machines
Arrival of home computers
Arrival of consoles in the late 80s
Arrival of PCs as a games machine
Internet
Handheld gaming

And so on. It’s 2018 and I’m playing vice city on my phone. Got a bar top arcade machine with 1000 classics on it. Love it

Sega_MegaDive
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 pm
Location: Ballymena

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Kim Justice just put out a 2 and a half hour documentry / interview about Sensible software on youtube.

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:21 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm
Yep same here. Nice trips down memory lane. Like the reviews on arcade games as well. Looking forward to watching it all

You really start to realise how lucky we’ve been...

Lived through the early console years with the 2600
Arrival of arcade machines
Arrival of home computers
Arrival of consoles in the late 80s
Arrival of PCs as a games machine
Internet
Handheld gaming

And so on. It’s 2018 and I’m playing vice city on my phone. Got a bar top arcade machine with 1000 classics on it. Love it
That's a really good way to look at it. To have been part of the dawn of this industry, through to where it is today...it is pretty damn cool when said and done. And with emulators- I know it's not everyones cup of tea for those who love the original hardware/software- and fair enough- To have all of these titles into units that take up little room...the hugest retro arcades under your tv, in the corner and even in your pocket. Just awesome indeed :)

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:55 am
Bought Load "Film 2" yesterday by Andy Remic

The first 'Memoirs of a Spectrum Addict' was good, supported this one and bought the digital verison. Looking forward to watching it
I just watched the first one, and found it quite enjoyable. Hows the second one? What's on it content wise, and is it as good or better than the first one?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests