Magazine cop out !!!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

oldtimer

Magazine cop out !!!

Post by oldtimer » Thu May 31, 2018 4:34 pm

Please pleaseeee,
Instead of a double page pic of half a megadrive/cdrom/snes/etc etc and 10 small lines of text, can we have proper reviews of systems and NOT a cop out which any kid could write.
I know its brutal but it seems to be getting worse as each issue is rolled out.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

jdanddiet

Re: Magazine cop out !!!

Post by jdanddiet » Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Retro Gamer is one of the densest magazines out there in terms of words per page. I don't think a few nice 2 page spreads showing off a console and breaking up the articles is really a bad thing, and I quite enjoy them.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:09 am

It's not a cop out. I like this full-sized pictures of the games screenshots, systems or peripherals. It's a joy to look at and the amount of text is just right with nice little anecdotes to support it.
There are a lot of articles in the mag that go in-depth with certain gaming console as well. Don't get your complaint

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:22 am

I really like those pages they do, they dont put tons in each mag. They've done it since day 1, i really enjoy seeing a massive screenshot of some game from yesteryear spread over 2 pages. I'm all for it

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 am

Chalk up another one for liking big screenshots.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am

I think that's a little tough. If it was right through the magazine that's one thing, but it's only a limited feature in each issue. And for the most part, the rest of it is very detailed and 'wordy' for want of a better term!

The US magazines of the 90s, they drove me nuts! Absolutely overloaded with adverts, most of the magazine was actually just adverts. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Its business. The mag has a limited budget and team to put together the mag. Advertising costs are, to some extent, based on content page count for the mag. Adding these pages takes little time or effort for the team to produce as nice little extras for those who enjoy them, and keeps the page count up. Removing them wouldn't mean more space for longer content, since they don't have the resources to produce a two page article to replace them every month, it would just mean less content pages for buyers, and potentially price increases due to lower advertising income.

I like them, we've always had them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 pm

... be happy that such an amazing magazine as RG is still kicking strong IMO. We are blessed.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 pm
Retro Gamer is one of the densest magazines out there in terms of words per page. I don't think a few nice 2 page spreads showing off a console and breaking up the articles is really a bad thing, and I quite enjoy them.
Having recently bought some of the earliest issues though, the word density have markedly lessened.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:32 am

Nikolai wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm
jdanddiet wrote:
Having recently bought some of the earliest issues though, the word density have markedly lessened.
My word count button must be malfunctioning then...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:09 am

Nikolai wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm
jdanddiet wrote:
Really some people you can't please. Like this stupid prevalent idea that now for some reason we should judge a game's worth by the amount of playtime hours without any regard for what those hours actually contain (usually it's a vapid job-like routine and meaningless incremental upgrades in the vast empty world's filled with copy-paste censored), then this opinion that the word density is alone in itself indicative of the magazine quality.
Ford me RG is first and foremost a leisure activity - something I pick up before going to sleep (and not every day I have the time) to read an article or two and enjoy the great design of the pages with nice screenshots and good quality writing. Getting a certain amount of INFORMATION is really not a goal for me here, as opposed to viewing the magazine as a whole.
And if we were to judge a magazine for it's size - RG is perfect for me personally (I know all the people are different) since I usually finish reading through the previous issue just in time for the new one to arrive or even the new one sometimes waits for a couple of days for me to finish previous one.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:38 pm

I buy other magazines and Retro Gamer is one of the two best (the other being Wanderlust) in terms of delivering content, especially where the cover feature is concerned. I bought an issue of Trail recently and the main cover feature was a 2-minute read!