Almost every issue I receive gets ruined in the mail

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

khdownes

Almost every issue I receive gets ruined in the mail

Post by khdownes » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

I've been subscribing to Retro Gamer about 7 years now, but for the last 24 months or so basically every issue I've received has been ruined in the mail because the mailmen keep cramming them into the letter slot rather than putting them in the magazine tube.
The most recent issue I received came in a plain white envelope for some reason instead of the usual packaging, and mailman had literally folded it in half twice and crammed it in the letter box (picture attached).

Are you guys able to redesign your packaging in any way to make it more obvious that is a magazine and not a letter? Or, like, add some big text across it saying "DO NOT FOLD" etc.?
This is extra frustrating because it's already REALLY expensive to subscribe to retro gamer from all the way over in Melbourne, Australia, and I've ended up having to re-buy half of the issues from the past 2 years when they hit the local news agents a few months later because I don't want ruined copies in my collection.
IMG_20180202_082816.jpg
IMG_20180202_082816.jpg (421.29 KiB) Viewed 450 times

Crusty Starfish

Re: Almost every issue I receive gets ruined in the mail

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 pm

Couldn't you just ask the mailman to not do that? I realise the guy must be a complete idiot and maybe doesn't understand being human... but how can you accept this for 2 years?!

at least report to the mail company!

khdownes

Post by khdownes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:38 am

Yeah, I've never been able to actually catch the mailman in action
I'm going to go to my nearest post office tomorrow morning and complain/try to get the details of the postie that runs my route.
I'm not super optimistic though; Australia Post has a... baaad track record with customer service lately, and the employees at my local branch seem to pride themselves on being really rude and unhelpful to every customer that walks in there.

I might make a sign for my letterbox this weekend saying "please put magazines and large envelopes in here -> not here ->. Please do not fold them"
It'll look ridiculous and patronising, but it's probably my only option

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:42 pm

In the UK we'd probably get compensation if something arrived that badly damaged. It'd be up to the sender to claim from Royal Mail (or whoever delivers it) I think. Your photo is shocking and I'd be complaining to the local Royal Mail straightaway, but we are supposed to be good complainers in the UK...

Any use? https://auspost.com.au/receiving/missin ... ayed-items

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 pm
Couldn't you just ask the mailman to not do that? I realise the guy must be a complete idiot and maybe doesn't understand being human... but how can you accept this for 2 years?!

at least report to the mail company!
Yeah surely you can talk to the postman ? If it happens again complain to the post office but not saying a word to the postman about it for 2 years is a bit odd

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm

I've been subscribing for a number of years now and the latest issue is the first one i have received damaged.

It has a very large score mark across the front page, possibly from a fork

anybody else had a problem?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 pm

kebabinho wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm
I've been subscribing for a number of years now and the latest issue is the first one i have received damaged.

It has a very large score mark across the front page, possibly from a fork

anybody else had a problem?
This has been a recurring problem for years. They did fix it for a bit, but posts elsewhere on this forum suggest it has returned. The consistency of the damage and its placement suggests a factory issue rather than a shipping one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri May 25, 2018 4:21 am

Unless you can have your local postie up about them not rolling or folding the issue like that, the only other real choice is to get a new letterbox that only has a flat slot in it

icemann

Post by icemann » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:08 am

And that is why you get a PO Box.