Which arcade game were you best at

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

thebear

Which arcade game were you best at

Post by thebear » Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 am

For me it would be Flying Shark (Sky Shark) due to going on a holiday to Majorca and that being the only game there for two weeks!
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Antiriad2097

Re: Which arcade game were you best at

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Karate Champ, for similar reasons, a trip away with a small arcade. I could last for ages on 10p, perhaps the only game I truly mastered. Saw it at an Expo, not so hot at it these days, I've forgotten half the moves.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Virtua Striker 2. I won the championship on my second go, it was the first arcade game that I really clicked with immediately.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Taito World Cup 98 i think it was ?

Anyway we had a few arcade machines where i used to work (as people came there for training so it was in the games room), played it tons and could always beat it on one credit. Fun to play it years later on my MAME cab but not as good as i used to be.

Also Chequered Flag, again as it was in the games room at work i played that tons and used to quality 1st and get a pretty good high score. Bit rusty nowadays

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed May 02, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm pretty good at Carnival by Sega. Most players seem to struggle to get past the fifth wave but I can usually do it. Back in the day, I was king of the Scramble machine in our college common room. I could make 10p last an age! I'm still pretty good at it on Mame as well but it gets boring quite quickly now.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 pm

As a kid if I was faced with an arcade I'd put 10p in every machine and never get good at any of them.

The ones I really liked I'm still awful at. Kung Fu Master and Mr Do's Castle I totally suck at.

I did get to put in some time with Bomb Jack and I was okay at that I suppose.

In recent years I've 1CCed Contra, so that's something. Oh and I beat a loop of Scramble on one life. They were both on XBLA though. Arcade perfect but a bit Billy Mitchell.

I did also set out to get 100,000 on Donkey Kong and managed it. I'm not exactly Steve Weibe.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Donkey Kong is such a great one because with persistence you get rewarded, and keep getting rewarded. I actually hated it until I saw King of Kong and then thought what the heck I'll give it another shot and since then have found its one of my very favourite arcade games, it becomes so addictive.

Once you get past the third elevator stage, things can escalate very quickly and you can find your score flying after that.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 pm

I could do ok on Double Dragon using the backward elbow, and Euro Football Champ i'd usually get to the semis and Tecmo world Cup i could usually win every time. That's
about it though!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Wed May 02, 2018 11:16 pm

ridge racer - beat the third reverse long track and very next go beat the time trial!
decent at crime fighters and bad dudes v dragon ninja
r-type ..... well getting to level five was a bloody good achievement!

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 am

Renegade - still play it on the PS4 and can loop that with my eyes shut.
Got pretty nifty at Bombjack, but it's there sort of game where once you've taken a break, it takes while to remember your routes etc.

To my shame, much as I love my shmups I've never managed a Cave 1CC - closest I ever got were final bosses on DonPaci and Mushi Futari.

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Sat May 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Power Spikes Volleyball:

I used to work opposite a bowling alley that had a few arcade games that they rotated every few months. A couple of us used to go over on our lunch break & play whatever they had.

One day I saw this volleyball game (complete with Chinese language) & decided to give it a go, after a few 30p’s (2 plays for 50p) I started to master it & often used to get a few people standing around watching me play. Before they replaced it I could complete the game on a single credit.

Point Blank was another that I was good at.
Last edited by goldenone on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 05, 2018 10:27 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm
Donkey Kong is such a great one because with persistence you get rewarded, and keep getting rewarded. I actually hated it until I saw King of Kong and then thought what the heck I'll give it another shot and since then have found its one of my very favourite arcade games, it becomes so addictive.

Once you get past the third elevator stage, things can escalate very quickly and you can find your score flying after that.
I love DK, although I'm pretty crap at it. Must give it another go.

Games I tended to go well at were Elevator Action, Pooyan, Gyruss :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:13 am

kiwimike wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:27 pm

I love DK, although I'm pretty crap at it. Must give it another go.

Games I tended to go well at were Elevator Action, Pooyan, Gyruss :)

Ive got to the point on DK where its more a matter of endurance, I wanted to see what a kill screen was like so I put cheats on for the first time on mame and played it through, and no way.. you have to have great concentration skills and endurance to keep going far into it, now I know why Brian Kuh had about 10 eggs and 13 strips of bacon before playing sessions. :lol:

Elevator Action, now there's one I might try again, I haven't played that in ages, might see how I go on that one.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun May 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Definitely Pit-Fighter, I could complete it on one credit back in the day!

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Hmmm. Well, I was briefly the MAME World Record holder on Twin Galaxies for Yie Ar Kung-Fu, so probably that. I'm very good at Kung-Fu Master, Track & Field and Hyper Sports, those spring to mind first.