games where the original was best

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

BarbaricAvatar

Re: games where the original was best

Post by BarbaricAvatar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:59 pm

It's tricky, because usually it's the 2nd entry which is my favourite. I thought of more than i suspected i would though.

Puzzle Quest
Unreal
Gauntlet
Destroy All Humans
Resistance: Fall of Man
The Longest Journey
Syberia
Serious Sam
Police Quest
Leisure Suit Larry
Deus Ex

Avoided series' that only had two games in them.
No, i'm not angry. That's just how i write.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:33 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:37 am
kiwimike wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:53 pm
I'd go Xevious is better than the follow ups. Many of the early arcade games had follow ups which were basically the same game with new makeup :lol:
Xevious 3DG is a better game than the original imo.
Each to their own of course! I much prefer the original one personally :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 am

The Laird wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:45 pm
I would say Robocop, Outrun, Double Dragon, Tetris and Lemmings.
Outrun is definitely better than Turbo or Outrunners, and the 8/16 bit console/handheld variants....but Outrun 2 is just in a league of its own in the series (even though i still enjoy and love the original). Outrun 2/Coast to Coast 2006 on Xbox, PSP and PS2 are immense, and I can't believe I only discovered them years after their initial release!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 am
The Laird wrote:
Outrun is definitely better than Turbo or Outrunners, and the 8/16 bit console/handheld variants....but Outrun 2 is just in a league of its own in the series (even though i still enjoy and love the original). Outrun 2/Coast to Coast 2006 on Xbox, PSP and PS2 are immense, and I can't believe I only discovered them years after their initial release!
I actually thought that too when I played Outrun 2 Coast to Coast, I felt it was the 'ultimate' Outrun, but strangely it wore off after a time and I found myself going back to the original Outrun again. So the original became my favourite again.. not sure why this happened but it did! :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:11 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 am
Sephiroth81 wrote:
The Laird wrote:
I actually thought that too when I played Outrun 2 Coast to Coast, I felt it was the 'ultimate' Outrun, but strangely it wore off after a time and I found myself going back to the original Outrun again. So the original became my favourite again.. not sure why this happened but it did! :D
Did you have a nasty fall accompanied by a head trauma injury? :P

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:11 pm
ncf1 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 am
Sephiroth81 wrote:

Did you have a nasty fall accompanied by a head trauma injury? :P
yes, probably slipped out of an Outrun 2 cabinet that actually started driving off by itself. :D

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Totally agree with Renegade (although I do still have plenty of love for Target Renegade) and Tenchu.
Xenon is the one that always come to mind for me, loved the original but never really rated the sequel.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:53 pm

ulrich7ad wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:33 am
Jak and Daxter springs to mind, could not get into the sequels at all.
Completely agree with this. The ‘gritty reboot’ didn’t work for me.

I didn’t get into the sequels to Spyro either, but that was for different reasons.

Crackdown 2 is an obvious one to list here, and Perfect Dark Zero is for me too.

Bioshock 2 just couldn’t compare to the original, although Bioshock Infinite was an excellent game.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:11 am

Knights of the Old Republic
Baldurs gate Dark Alliance
Operation Wolf
The Force Unleashed
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Yep, Coast to Coast is easily a better game than the original OutRun, although this is not the first time I have seen someone claim this isn't true. The original was unfair and unpleasant at times to play, with opposition cars ganging up on you, sudden and sharp bends you couldn't avoid and a tight gameclock that only allowed (at best) for one crash. The only way to succeed was with copious use of the brake/gear stick, which is simply not as fun as keeping your pedal to the metal. But back in the day the graphics, the sound, the rolling scenery and the choice of routes left such a lasting impression that any detriments could be forgiven ; and the memories are still strong enough to leave people with the belief that it couldn't be bettered.

And it was only Outrun 2 (and more specifically SP) that proved just how much there was that didn't work, and just how much fun OutRun could be. Now we had the same car - but also lots of alternatives which significantly affected the game play. We had the same original excellent tunes - but now a few extras for anyone who fancied it. We had graphics that were just as good as the original, but now with impressive weather effects. But most importantly we had massive improvements in gameplay. OutRun 2 had wider tracks with more forgiving curves that we could slide round without reducing speed, less (and more varied) traffic meaning that we could weave around it again without slowing, less chance of crashing - and even if we did still able to complete the game. Some nice easter eggs like the dragon circling us if we did well on a level, opponent cars to try to pass and also extra modes including the most excellent 'Heart Attack' where you have to impress your GF by completing different tasks.

Don't get me wrong, back when it was released OutRun was utterly stupendous, and if it hadn't been for SP (or maybe also Ridge Racer) I would still think the game was as good as racing could get. When I first saw OutRun I was utterly blown away as I had seen nothing like it, and although I could never get further than about halfway through stage 3 I never lost my love for it. Until I played OutRun 2. I could still drive my red Testarossa (but I also love the black Spider) listening to Magical Sound Shower, but now I could go at full tilt round the courses , marvelling at the graphics (Cape Canaveral is a level of absolute beauty) and actually completing the game on most attempts. Then go back and play Heart Attack mode which felt like a different game with all the fun challenges
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 am

but who decided that being able to race in a totally unrealistic way without needing a brake is better?

easier sure, but better? not for me

to me though there is too much time between the 2 to call it a sequel for the purposes of this

of course a game made 25 years (or whatever later) on an engine god knows how many 1000's times more powerful is better if looked at now
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:38 am

Yeah, I think you've got to see OutRun as a product of its time and the separation between sim and arcade racers wasn't full crystallized by that point, so having to do a bit of actual driving from time to time wasn't unusual. I'd think that a purist for the original could legitimately claim that it's unmatched on that basis.

I don't think it strikes a perfect middle ground for me though, as it does feel downright unfair at times and I take a bit of a cynical eye to arcade games that have a habit of killing you off by throwing something unexpected soon after you get to new territory, as if to say that you've had your money's worth so put in another coin. They have to make money obviously, but gradually ramping up the difficulty in a hard but fair way would be the ideal and I think the sequel does that better.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 am

Donkey Kong springs to mind, not counting the Country series, which I consider as some kind of continuation/spin-off. Tetris too.

Going by remakes of games, Super Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing are superior to their respective DS remakes.

Oh, and Sonic 1 Master System. S2 on SMS was just unfairly difficult, S1 got it right.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 am

Yeah, personally I don't view Outrun 2 as a sequel, to me it's a remake. The sequel was Turbo Outrun followed by Outrun Europa and Outrunners.

Even with that said, Outrun was just so special for the time and the nostalgia it induces means it will always be one of my all-time favourite games.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:31 am

bubble bobble.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.