How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Bluce_Ree

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:44 pm

I recently platinumed Bandit Six. It’s a compilation of two games, a turret shooter and a kind of tower defense thing.

Clockwork Hippo

Post by Clockwork Hippo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:05 am

I really hope VR does well on PS4. I have an Oculus Rift and Touch but I hope all the VR platforms do well. VR has such potential. We should all be rooting for all the VR platforms.
PS4 has VR and it Has Elite Dangerous but it doesn't have Elite Dangerous VR. If ED ever comes to PSVR you will have the killer app. Elite Dangerous in VR is jaw droppingly beautiful. I spend more time in ED that all my other VR titles put together and I have a lot.
Clockwork Hippo Games. Bringing back the challenge!
Ex C64 pixel artist developing retro games for hard core gamers.
Check out my Lunar Lander inspired game demo here: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-ga ... nder-27270
No download necessary!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 am

Clockwork Hippo wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:05 am
I really hope VR does well on PS4. I have an Oculus Rift and Touch but I hope all the VR platforms do well. VR has such potential. We should all be rooting for all the VR platforms.
PS4 has VR and it Has Elite Dangerous but it doesn't have Elite Dangerous VR. If ED ever comes to PSVR you will have the killer app. Elite Dangerous in VR is jaw droppingly beautiful. I spend more time in ED that all my other VR titles put together and I have a lot.
bought elite on ps4 a it was only £8 so hoping for vr support i probably spend most of my vr time in is sport bar vr but i love all my vr games apart from rigs which makes me ill and as much as i love carnival games vr its a let down compared to the wii original(but so was new carnival games) i keep going back to Cheap MDF rubbish too
This guy are sick

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:22 am

So, how do we all feel about Tetris Effect?

I like it but the hype around this one is silly. Push Square described it as a spiritual experience which is daft because it's just Tetris, literally just good old Tetris, with some good visualisers. I still rate Rez Infinite as the best PSVR game.

BTW if you're looking to get one. It's looking like £180 with a couple of games is the Black Friday price judging by Game's latest offering.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Clockwork Hippo wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:05 am
PS4 has VR and it Has Elite Dangerous but it doesn't have Elite Dangerous VR. If ED ever comes to PSVR you will have the killer app.
I reckon it already has a killer app - Astro Bot: Robot Rescue. I saw a review which described it as doing for VR what Mario 64 did for 3D, and I’d totally agree. It’s the most inventive, fun, clever and downright charming game on VR currently and is simply a brilliant game full stop, rivalling most AAA titles. Honestly, it’s the wasps leg joints.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Ordered my son one for Christmas.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:53 pm

I picked one up on boxing day, paid £210.00 for the mega pack which comes with 5 games. Loving it so far and Astro bot is an amazing platformer which looks incredible in VR.

My only complaint is the overall blurriness of the whole experience, which it was a little more sharp.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:07 pm

buddy1983 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:53 pm
I picked one up on boxing day, paid £210.00 for the mega pack which comes with 5 games. Loving it so far and Astro bot is an amazing platformer which looks incredible in VR.

My only complaint is the overall blurriness of the whole experience, which it was a little more sharp.
Have you adjusted the settings to match the gap between your eyes?

Apparently can help

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/12/ ... ge_in_psvr
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Got one just before Christmas. Neat bit of kit that's unfortunately going to be used pretty infrequently by myself at least...

Loving the Playroom. My kids (14, 9 and 4) absolutely love to join in with the dinosaur, cat and cowboy games, I'm already quite surprised how much play time we've had out of this together.

Played the into to Resi 7 and it's absolutely amazing, will certainly be doing another full run of this.
Polybius, Rez and Thumper I can't imagine playing on the TV again. Rez area X is mind-blowing.
Unfortunately, anything with fast movement leaves me green. Doom made me full-on puke. Wipeout is kind of OK as long as I use the second view option (camera fixed to cockpit), the full head-tracking is just too much for me. Ultrawings looks like a neat little PilotWings rip-off for the six quid I paid, but again I can only play in 15 minute bursts. Haven't tried Skyrim yet as I dislike the normal game anyway. I can kind of manage Trackmania due to the way it keeps the track fixed and moves the vehicle instead. Doesn't look as impressive as WipeOut, but doesn't make me as ill.

Hoping to pick up Tetris Effect next.

The tech itself it about as good as you could possibly expect for the price.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm

[/quote]
Have you adjusted the settings to match the gap between your eyes?

Apparently can help

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/12/ ... ge_in_psvr
[/quote]

I think I was expecting too much from it at first to be honest, stuff near me is pretty clear just distance seems to be blurry, due to the lower resolution I suppose.

Just completed Astro Bot and what a game that was, played through it with a massive smile on my face from start to finish, VR really adds to the experience. I'm going to go onto Skyrim next but want to pick up the move controllers first. never played Skyrim so looking forward to checking out all the hype.

Also anyone know the score with Borderlands 2 VR? Is it released as in the UK online store is saying release 14 Dec but also says pre order?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Got one before Christmas. The boys and I love it.
So far they've played a lot of astrobot, headmaster and some of the games that came in the vr bundle. London heist is cool but short (you can lean out of the van and shoot chasing bad guys!), the monster game is fun as is the western shoot out one.

Even my girlfriend, a non gamer, was hooked in by it.

I've got Skyrim, doom, resi 7 and a few more to try yet
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 am

I played Doom for around 30 mins last night and had to stop, so close to being sick :lol: Maybe I need to ease into it

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am

I've had mine for just over a year now. I think you can genuinely say now that if you want to play all the best games that PS4 has to offer, you do need to buy a PSVR as well. I'm about six levels into Astrobot, but it's an absolute jaw dropper and they've got the mechanics of a great platformer spot on. Rez and Polybious are just majestic and i hope that there's more trippy stuff to come (still hoping Llamasoft patch VR into Tempest 4K). Statik was one of the most inventive and rewarding games i've played for years. For an experience that requires a pretty hefty outlay and that you have to see to really appreciate, i'd say it's doing really well so far.

I am astounded by the amount of people on VR groups who swear that they'll never play a "flat" (god, i hate that term) game again. VR is fantastic, but why deny yourself the enormous number of incredible videogame experiences because they run on a TV? I'm looking forward to Resi 2 above any forthcoming VR title this year.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 am

My son likes playing bloody fortnite with the headset on!

Anyway there is so much variety in both ways of gaming, to disregard flat gaming is a bit odd
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 am

Anyway there is so much variety in both ways of gaming, to disregard flat gaming is a bit odd
Totally agree. It's like saying you can't listen to an album that isn't in 5.1 or watch a blu-ray that isn't 3d. Their loss. In a few years they'll be saying they can't bear to touch PSVR anymore as it's too primitive for them.

I must get that Megadrive compilation that allows you to play the games on a CRT TV in an 80's style bedroom! :lol: That's proper Inception stuff right there.