What games would you like to see remastered?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

What games would you like to see remastered?

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Remastering and remaking old games seems to be all the rage these days, they are even redoing games that are only a generation old!

But what are the games you would most like to see remastered?

This is my No. 1 vote! Come on Sega sort it out! :mrgreen:

NorthWay

Re: What games would you like to see remastered?

Post by NorthWay » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Gauntlet. 1080p with more detailed sprites and seeing a bit more of the levels perhaps? With bigger levels! But in _2D_.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Easiest choices for me are Yakuza 3, 4, 5, Dead Souls and Kenzan on the PS4, so I can have the entire series on one platform (plus 3 could do with a remake to iron out some issues I have with the game).

I'd love to get Panzer Dragoon series remasters as well, I love the games but 1 and Zwei have aged a bit in terms of looks and frame rate now, and getting updated ones that run smoother would be wonderful. A remaster/remake of Saga as well would be great so more people could play it, as its probably still in my top 3 RPGs of all time.

Oh, and Jet Set Radio Future. I loved the remaster of the original game, so getting a remaster of Future (or at least get in BC on the Xbox One) would please me greatly.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:48 pm

It's actually quite funny as you mention Sega - they have a trully huge backlog of games and they seemingly don't want to do anything with them, no re-releases, no remasters, no remakes, nothing. But, I'm fairly sure things like a "OutRun HD Collection", "Virtua Fighter Arcade Collection", "Panzer Dragoon Anthology" and similar would sell like hot cakes to fans and draw new audiences to these classic franchises too.

Now, I know there are some issues with licensing which is probably why we didn't see anything OutRun related (since all the cars in the games are Ferraris and renewing the license rights could be too pricy) and apparently the source codes to some Saturn games were lost, but it still seems like wasted opportunity for me, in both, monetary and "fan service" terms, nevermind IP interest renewal.

But Sega isn't the sole company to under-utilize their potential in renewing classic franchises - Nintendo is just as big offender, if you ask me.

When fans manage to output things that could please both, those that were once growing up on these franchises as well as newcommers, you know there's something missing there.

Heck, even companies far more situated in the community creation scenes sometimes miss a opportunity to appeal to their ageing audiences and newcommers alike.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Remaster- Skies of Arcadia. My fav game of all time, but its surprising this gets no rerelease of some kind outside of the enhanced Gamecube port. I know SEGA released a bunch of Dreamcast titles for the PS360 era but maybe after you're done selling that Mega Drive collection, some kind of 20th anniversary line of Dreamcast games on modern systems would be a treat? People still go out their way to make new games for the Dreamcast (Even as far as buying the rights to older games to port onto Dreamcast recently), they would sell. Getting tired of recommending Arcadia to people when buying an original copy will set them back a bit.

Remake- Sonic Adventure 1+2. These games have not aged well. Don't get me wrong I and others that grew up with these games will still play them fine, its the future generations that you have to worry about. Big the cat, the glitches, the treasure hunting aspect of Knuckles/Rouge in SA2, etc. they do not hold up well. A complete remake of these 2 in the same vain as the Bandicoot Trilogy that updates the visuals, irons out those flaws to make them more fun and work more right, and you'd have a fine set of remakes that would sell well and appeal to new faces of the Adventure series, so that dream project of Adventure 3 can be a better reality than the legacy those originals will leave as the years go by.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Any number of PS1 games that with a modern makeover would look fab.

How bout a modern Yars revenge?! :)

merman

Post by merman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:08 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:27 pm

There was a follow-up on Xbox Live Arcade - an on-rails shooter
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Popful Mail, Sorcerian, GunValkyrie, the Otogi games, Magical Chase and probably Sakura Wars 1 with a full English translation.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Agree, so many great games could be revitalised with updated graphics in particular. Destruction Derby is one that I reckon could do with an overhaul, I also think Medal of Honor 1 and 2 would be served brilliantly with remastering but some might say FPS' have improved out of sight so whats the point but I don't think so, I love the original MOH and II.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:25 am

I've been playing Arnhem, Desert Rats and Vulcan lately and think they'd all stand up well with a modernized user interface and graphics. I think what's particularly nice about them is that they find a middle ground between the unrealistic board game mechanics of games like Civilization and the real time mouse dexterity tests like Total War, and we could use more games like that.

That might seem a tough ask, but R. T. Smith released a belated sequel to Armada 2525 (imaginatively titled Armada 2526) a few years back so maybe he'll eventually get around to sprucing up his early games as well.

Also, a few years back I'd have answered Chaos and Lords of Midnight to this question, but we got re-makes of both of those since and they were very good too.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:06 pm

I'd like to see remakes of Hidden and Dangerous and Conflict: Desert Storm 1 & 2.
I really enjoyed these squad command/third person shooters - it's a genre that seems to have died off.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:42 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:41 pm
Gauntlet. 1080p with more detailed sprites and seeing a bit more of the levels perhaps? With bigger levels! But in _2D_.
The best sort of Gauntlet type game is the recent Tesla vs Lovecraft. Is a bit more shooty (well, a lot) but reminds me of it a lot.

BarbaricAvatar

Post by BarbaricAvatar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Some PS1 games are just crying out for a re-release (whether that be in the form of a remake or remaster).

Treasures of the Deep - Yes, there have been underwater games since, but none have nailed the discovery vs shooting ratio as excellently as this one. Whether you're fighting other submersibles, collecting marine wildlife in nets, or looking for treasure in underwater wrecks; everything is amazing.
N-Gen Racing - Arrived on PS1 after the release of PS2 so flew under the radar of most (pun intended). A casual glance would suggest it's an Ace Combat clone but it's nothing of the sort. It's a racing game in tricked-out modern jet fighters. Never got a sequel or revisitation of any kind despite being as good as it possibly could be. Wipeout doesn't cut it as a comparison, it's still 2 dimensional racing!
Colony Wars: Vengeance - The best of the trilogy, PS2 and PS3 were severely lacking in the genre of space combat. Comparable to Freespace in its accessibility and it's ridiculous that it's been so long since we've seen an entry to this franchise.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - The series seemed to go in a peculiar direction after this entry, it got plenty of sequels but Nosgoth just wasn't as interesting as it was in this title. It remains the pinnacle of the LoK series with the best backstory and gameplay. The transition between the physical and spiritual realms was spectacular in 320x240, so imagine how it could look with modern image resolutions and lighting!

On the other hand, i don't want the Spyro the Dragon series to be remastered at all. I think they're perfect as they are and any form of tampering would be to the detriment of the game. A rerelease of particularly numbers 1+2 wouldn't be amiss, but don't change them!
No, i'm not angry. That's just how i write.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm

I 'd love to splay through Skies Of Arcadia Legends again, with HD graphics and the removal of random battles.

Also, following the Metroid Samus Retruns remake of Metroid 2, I'd like to see Link'swakening remade.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
[url]viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823[/url

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am

I'd love to see the SNES DKC games remastered with true 3D graphics, it already looks and plays amazing and probably doesn't need a remaster, but yeah. Wonder how levels like *shudders at its difficulty* Tanked-Up Trouble would be.

"But Sega isn't the sole company to under-utilize their potential in renewing classic franchises - Nintendo is just as big offender, if you ask me."

FZEROFZEROFZEROFZERO

I will actually buy a Switch if they release a new F-Zero game