The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will you buy a The64?

Yes
21%
No
63%
Can't Decide
16%

Total votes: 38

Crusty Starfish

Re: The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Correct, when I purchased C64forever its a great front end to add all of the stolen roms I downloaded via torrents.

I do own about 700 C64 originals though so I don't feel that bad - yet these were purchased off Ebay and that also means they wont generate any money for the developer. But saying that, even if I could buy a cassette of a game I want from the 80's brand new, it still won't go to the developer. Hmmmm

I do buy new C64 games from psytronic though - these are just frigging awesome!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 pm

I'd think the key thing with C64 Forever is that you're buying a legit copy of the machine's firmware with it. Whether the games you choose to play on it are or not is another question entirely, but if you already own a copy you're in pretty safe territory.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm

A new Q&A video and more game footage from the soon to be released TheC64 Mini console!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtJyUMDaTFw

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:35 am

And with the machine released today the first reviews are coming in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuT3wfeQ-s

8)

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:57 pm

The Laird wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:35 am
And with the machine released today the first reviews are coming in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuT3wfeQ-s

8)
Good review. I'm a current user of the original hardware and I wasn't really sold on the hype over this product - until now. Your video mentions a bigger model with a functional keyboard. Where can I find that beauty? The link to Argos on the site only seems to sell the smaller model.

The other thing I'm curious about is whether The64 can handle multi-load games and cartridge files or not. If it can, it promises to be a major step-up from the SD2IEC and EasyFlash.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 pm

The bigger model isn't out yet but is in prototype stage, I've seen it!

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm

The Laird wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 pm
I thought you didn't like the C64?! :?

Anyway, is there a release date for the bigger version and as the questions above by English Invader weren't answered: Can The64 handle multi-load games and cartridge files or not?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm
The Laird wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 pm
I thought you didn't like the C64?! :?

Anyway, is there a release date for the bigger version and as the questions above by English Invader weren't answered: Can The64 handle multi-load games and cartridge files or not?
I didn't answer the multi-load question because I am not sure on the exact answer! Simple really, I didn't actually design this you know. I suggest looking at the FAQ and technical information on the official website for the answer: https://thec64.com/faq/

And what on earth does my opinion on the C64 have to do with me seeing prototype of the bigger model, I am not entirely sure how the two are even remotely connected.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 am

It's quite cool for 'vapourware!' :) Sorry, couldn't resist as the Vega+ saga continues! Actions speak louder than words :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:15 am

kiwimike wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 am
It's quite cool for 'vapourware!' :) Sorry, couldn't resist as the Vega+ saga continues! Actions speak louder than words :)
Indeed! As I said in my vid, the quality of this product really makes you wonder "what if" with regards to the Vega+

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:48 am

I think I'd be more tempted by the bigger model with the functioning keyboard, so I'll probably wait for that. Looks good though.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm
Can The64 handle multi-load games and cartridge files or not?
This is the best information I could find from the site:
https://thec64.com/troubleshooting/

At present, The64 will only run d64s with some support for multi-load but they are promising an advanced loader for a future firmware update. It will also be a bit of a mixed bag in terms of compatibility, which will also be improved by the promised advanced loader, so at this stage I would estimate that it's about as compatible as an SD2IEC (40% compatible at best) minus support for PRG which takes it down to about 35%.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:30 am

English Invader wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am

At present, The64 will only run d64s with some support for multi-load but they are promising an advanced loader for a future firmware update. It will also be a bit of a mixed bag in terms of compatibility, which will also be improved by the promised advanced loader, so at this stage I would estimate that it's about as compatible as an SD2IEC (40% compatible at best) minus support for PRG which takes it down to about 35%.
This review explores the d64 compatibility in more depth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXXCj5kqPcM

While it appears to be compatible with most single-load games, the device will only read one file (rewritten to THEC64-drive8.d64) at a time on your 64GB USB pen and the review also reveals noticeable latency issues with sound, video and input.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:32 pm

English Invader wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:30 am
English Invader wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am

This review explores the d64 compatibility in more depth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXXCj5kqPcM

While it appears to be compatible with most single-load games, the device will only read one file (rewritten to THEC64-drive8.d64) at a time on your 64GB USB pen and the review also reveals noticeable latency issues with sound, video and input.
He actually gets loads wrong in that video, Retro Games are pretty annoyed by it. There is an update about to come out that fixes the one file issue (that he failed to mention even though he knew) and he is literally the only person who's noticed latency issues. he couldn't even figure out how to use it with a TV properly and had never heard of Armalyte, Speedball 2 or Chip's Challenge!

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:37 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:32 pm
he couldn't even figure out how to use it with a TV properly and had never heard of Armalyte, Speedball 2 or Chip's Challenge!
Well, to be fair to him it was kind of an oddball situation with the TV (he lives in North America and was given a PAL device) and I must admit to being surprised at the amount of games he didn't know about but the C64 game libraries in Europe and America took very different paths (mainly due to the initial wider availability of disk drives in the US). I imagine a lot of people in the US will be disappointed if they turn to this device for a nostalgia hit of all their old favourites instead of an opportunity to explore European games.

Armalyte and Speedball 2 are both from UK software houses so they're kind of excusable but there isn't much excuse for not getting Chip's Challenge.