Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm

This time for your PS4, XBONE and update to Steam.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/03 ... -29th-may/
Last edited by ALK on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sel Feena

Re: Yet Another Mega Drive Collection

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:19 pm

It’s always the same stuff that gets put into these collections. Frankly not interested

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 pm

I will probably get it, I would love to have seen a Monaco GP or Virtual Racing included
"Time fades even legend..."

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

By now we should really be looking at legacy style collections - with as much as possible from the back catalogue. Perhaps not only including MD Streets of Rage but the MS versions too , organised in a library style so you can pick all franchise associated games in order. Having the choice to pick through all Sonic games from all formats for example - especially as they were markedly different enough.

Or perhaps arcade greatest hits style compilations - Power Drift on a big screen would be pretty enticing to name just one.

Pipe dreams - it will just be the same stuff trotted out again. As much as i love my MD , its gaming memory is kind of being dragged about like a rancid comfort blanket these days.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Yeah, it looks like the same old compilation but for new formats and with a few features tacked on.

More/different games would always be better, as with all these things, but realistically there's going to be a limit to just how many they can get a licence for. Even if they published something themselves back in the day, it doesn't mean that they still hold all the rights, and not all the other parties are going to be easy to cut a deal with even assuming that they're still around to do so. They probably ought to be able to cobble together a selection of Master System games though.

Still, the inclusion of mods on the Steam version expanded the catalogue with a few total conversions (albeit into homebrew games so don't get too excited) and you can have most of the regional variations and a bunch of graphical hacks for the laughs. Hopefully they can bring that to the XB1/PS4 too, as it'd make for a much more substantial addition than anything mentioned in the press release.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Have they ever done the CD games or 32x?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm happy with it though I would like to see more broader stuff like Master System too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Something like this would be super ideal for Switch, having the library of games to play anywhere as well as easy 2 player with the Joycons (Okay not the most ideal controllers but functional enough).

But I guess it all depends whether SEGA wants to (Their response on Twitter was just "We're focusing on PS4/XBONE/Steam versions at this time") or they're just waiting for Nintendo to bring out the Virtual Console so they can sell them individually....
Have they ever done the CD games or 32x?
Aside from Sonic CD as well as Nighttrap getting a rerelease, no. I'd imagine the MD library is just super easy to emulate and more well-known than other SEGA consoles, thus why its always getting rereleases. And again as mentioned, SEGA would not have tons to release from both libraries (Aside from Knuckles Chaotix, what other 32X games could SEGA release? No point in the 32X versions of Afterburner or Space Harrier as they can easily put out the arcade editions instead.). While Master System could be possible, even if they packed it with 100 games, would it sell as well as this MD Collection to justify polishing each game and other Collection assets to create, outside of us collectors and the 2 markets Master System performed best (Europe and Brazil.)?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:33 am

There are some excellent games on this collection but they've mostly been released multiple times already (and I have the vast majority as original carts anyway).
It's disappointing that there aren't any shmups on the collection - there were some really excellent ones on the MD. Licencing problems I guess.
The thing that puts me off these collections more than anything is the crappy D pad on modern consoles.

Edit - just realised Bio Hazard Battle is on there. It's pretty good but far from the best shmup on the system.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:10 am

Off the top of my head, some games they should have included for which licencing should present no problem:
The Ooze
Super Fantasy Zone
Super Hang On
Eternal Champions

Any of these would be preferable to third rate filler like Super Thunderblade or Galaxy Force - these are games which just don't stand up. No one will play them.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:24 am

JamesC wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:10 am
Off the top of my head, some games they should have included for which licencing should present no problem:
The Ooze
Super Fantasy Zone
Super Hang On
Eternal Champions
I don't understand why none of those would be there, especially as three of them are pretty big titles!

Perhaps there will be some games you have to unlock?

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 am

I'm pleased that they've included Shadow Dancer and Revenge of Shinobi (both of which were criminal omissions from the 360/PS3 compilation IMO). Landstalker was also a pleasant surprise.

Two notable omissions this time around are Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. If ROM space was an issue, I would have preferred it if they ditched Flickies' Island and Sonic Spinball instead.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Alex Kidd and Altered Beast are both pretty cack too. Sonic 3 and S+K would have been much better choices.
Of course to get a true picture of what was happening on the MD back in the 90s they'd need some Micro Machines games and some of the classic sports titles.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 pm

There's all the more mystery in that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a part of the PC version. Space is definitely not an issue as these games are tiny compared to the size of current media.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:39 am

I do love retro collections, it's great to have them...but they do seem to be Namco musueming the hell out of the mega drive collections now. Happy with my Sega collection on the 360 and junky little handheld machine